Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rockets vs Giants Mar 18&19th

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?
    Someone voices their opinion and you say it's "whining", thanks for your great input to this board.
    KELOWNA ROCKETS 2004 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!

http://cropcircle.ca/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by RocketMan
    In any regard, they like every other team sport except the NHL uses head-to-head match ups as the first priority in settling ties.
    I just though of this now, but the main reason I believe hockey uses this sytem is the tie Situation.

In NFL, they do have ties but it is a very rare occurence. You may get 1-2 ties for the entire season throughout the entire league, thus any teams that are tied more than likely already have the same amount of wins, making that tiebreaking solution pointless (total Wins). MLB and the NBA dont have ties period, so its really only hockey where you can have teams get a lot of points for ties/OTL.

I guess the Head to Head solution sounds good, but I am sure someone somewhere will be able to poke a bunch of holes in that arguement as well.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter, Kelowna just has to win its last 2 games period to finish first. They control their own destiny.

GO GIANTS.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

I like the head to head better then wins as a second tie breaker. But the rules are set and its the same for everyone. Live by the sword and die by it also.

Go Rockets kick the Giants Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaner
    I just though of this now, but the main reason I believe hockey uses this sytem is the tie Situation.
    Yes, good point. But, again I point out that the NHL maintains similar schedules among teams within a division. In that case, the use of total wins can be supported, I still don't think it's as good though
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaner
    I guess the Head to Head solution sounds good, but I am sure someone somewhere will be able to poke a bunch of holes in that arguement as well.
    I am still waiting for someone to do that. I think most realize there just isn't one when the two teams play such different schedules (like the NFL situation). This year it may cost the Rockets, another year it will be some other team, maybe even Vancouver . Someday it may work in reverse and cost Kootenay, though I think the West will be even more dominate next year.
    Kelowna just has to win its last 2 games period to finish first. They control their own destiny.
    Agreed, they'll have to do it the hard way rather than have it gift-wrapped. If the Rockets do it, at least they can say they earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovorock
    Live by the sword and die by it also.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman
    Exactly!
    No please dont. Our asses are sore enough from all the times you've kicked it already this year.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Sorry Beaner hopefully two more ass kickings then it's Kootenays turn.

Sorry Beaner hopefully two more ass kickings then it's Kootenays turn.
    Perhaps, but I think a Van/Ice matchup has upset written all over it. The big-city and extra attention maybe something the Ice are not familar with having hardly ever gone there. The Giants are under-achievers and they have a superstar who can win games by doing something magical. That's always a dangerous opponent come play-off time (e.g., 94 Canucks).

kelownakarl Guest

enough talk....

LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEY!

Quote Originally Posted by kelownakarl
    enough talk....

LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEY!
    And we did. A 3-2 win to guarantee no worse than a tie for top spot overall. Now all we need is a tie.

I just got back from the game, after a few barley sandwichs of course. The rink was packed even though the game was on TV. Overall I saw it as follows: Rockets outplayed them in the first, slight edge to the giants in the second. Big edge to the giants in the third. Apart from a soft 1st goal, Yeomans was solid. There were some brutal giveaways on both sides especially by one of the giants to Comeau in the third and by Couteur in the first. The Giants put up a hellva fight. Maybe they do want to face Kelowna in the first round. No one can say they threw it to the Rockets to get the Ice instead. Perhaps they dread the travel all the way to Cranbrook. In any event, they played well and could've won the game. I expect them to come out hard tomorrow as well -- those bastards