Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cougars Fan?

Unhappy Cougars Fan?

This was a comment sent to PG Citizen after Jim Swanson's Article "A Trip Worth Talking About" (Can be read in thread Reverse Psychology?)

written by bc racer , October 22, 2007 (04:17:49 PM)
    I'll pass. They still have a ways to go before they raise the excitement meter in my life enough. Maybe if they show that they are in fact Cougars instead of kitty cats, and they have started, I might grace them with my presence on the 4 of Novemeber.

I'm just curious, is this the common feeling in PG? I just don't understand this! Many years ago, I lived in a community with a WHL team and was a dedicated season ticket holder. Win or lose, we faithfully went out and supported our team.

Maybe the reason PG did so well on the road was because there were actually some people at the games cheering for them! I was only able to attend the PA game, but listened to the other games on the internet and there were times when I was confused as to which team had scored there was so much cheering in the background.

It must be a pyschological downer to play in a silent empty arena. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've never had the OPPORTUNITY to attend a game in PG.

Default "Quoting" Material

Two Bits, when copying material from another source, it needs to be quoted. This can be done using your posting tools. Just a heads up.
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

This is not a simple thing to explain to someone who has not lived the Cougar "experience" in PG.

Suffice it to say that the rink would be full if the community and fan base felt a connection with the franchise, much like any local business would be supported if it gave customers what they desire. To be blunt, the organization hasn't given the fans in PG what they expected and/or desired and the number of butts in the seats reflect it.

Are the owner's not doing their fair share to ice a consistently competitive team or are the expectations of the fans too great? All good questions to ask, however, the reality is that the building is only half full and there seems to be no real change in sight under the current ownership group. Personally, I think you'd see average attendance increase by at least 75% overnight, if a new ownership group were in place, justified or not.

The other thing to remember is that this has not been a one season problem. It has been in steady decline for years. One could make a reasonable argument that virtually nothing was done to try and address the problem when it started and because of that, it will be exponentially more difficult to now turn the ship around.

Default Thanks for the Insite

Didn't the team give the fans what they wanted in the playoffs last season?

I guess it's not the same team anymore though is it? (rebuilding year)

Maybe the Cougars are just too new a team without a big "Win" in it's history. I've been following the Raiders Forum as well and I'm surprised at the dissention there too. I thought they were the most loyal fans on Earth but they are all ready to mutiny as well.

I hope the Cougs can put in a good showing this weekend clrkth and renew the confidence of some of the fans that may still be on the fence.
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    I hope the Cougs can put in a good showing this weekend clrkth and renew the confidence of some of the fans that may still be on the fence.

Here, here! applause

The easy answer to this topic is that Prince George is a band-wagon town. When the team(s) do well, the box office does well. All one has to do is look at the total number of people that have watched live hockey on any given night in PG. The Cougars, optimisically, have 2400 tickets sold (not butts in the seats but ticket sold) and the Spruce Kings have averaged under 500 for their home games. All told, you would be hard pressed to have 3000 hockey fans watching hockey in PG.

Looking at last season, in the playoffs the Cats were close to being sold out for a number of the games, especially in the second round. The Kings, while not doing as well, were selling 1200-1500 per playoff game. That says to me, this is in fact a bandwagon town. Sad to say it, but it is.

IF the management would make a concerted effort to ice a consistant product on the ice, the fans may have a more consistant showing as well. Mr. Brodsky.....if you support us fans, we will (most likely) support your team. Maybe not you, but your team.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

I would also agree with that Sput. It should also be noted, that there are not too many places where a consistently losing team will be supported with sold out buildings. You have to keep the fans interested, with the hope that a good season is right around the corner.

It's critically important to have those above average seasons mixed in with the poor or mediocre ones. In recent years, all that PG has seen is the latter. With the exception of last year's playoff run (not to be confused with the yet again mediocre regular season), there hasn't been much at all to get excited about for years when it comes to Cougar hockey.

I'm not sure why people think that a fairly lengthy history of mediocre or terrible results, can be erased by a single good playoff run.

If this hadn't been a rebuilding year, the playoff run probably wouldn't have hurt. There would have been a team that had built the confidence in some of the fans and they would have probably turned out to see what they were capable of this year. Since there are so many new faces, I guess they need to prove themselves before the fans will get behind them again.

Maybe the Cougars need a big GOON? A good fight every once in a while is pretty entertaining too.

Cougar Guy and Sput, what do you think the Brodsky's could do to improve the situation?

Maybe it's like that movie....what was it again?.... "If you build it, they will come."
    For What It's Worth

Default Goon?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    Maybe the Cougars need a big GOON? A good fight every once in a while is pretty entertaining too.

A good goalie fight at center ice is my favorite. C'mon CYRSIE, let the leather fly, it only cost you $250 in fines last time when you and Esposito went toe to toe!

Good One!
    For What It's Worth