Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Casey Pierro-Zabotel joining Giants?

If Hyphen can find chemistry with 2 other players that would give us 2 solid scoring lines rather than just the Bliznak line with whoever else steps up that night.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Must be nice too get any player you want. I think it really helps being in a big market city like Vancouver with the media and what not, is why these players pick vancouver too go to and not a team out east. This is the one reason why Vancouver will never have a sub %500 record.

Default Wouldnt be surprised if there...

maybe a little cash incentive under the table. Could be wrong but I dont think I'd be surprised if the league did do a investigation and found that cash incentives are made by some whl teams.

Quote Originally Posted by hobster
    Must be nice too get any player you want. I think it really helps being in a big market city like Vancouver with the media and what not, is why these players pick vancouver too go to and not a team out east. This is the one reason why Vancouver will never have a sub %500 record.
    You know what thats a little harsh to say, you can't blame a team for trying to improve. If you were Vancouver wouldnt you sign a good player if he was interested. Either way from what i've heard Pierro-Zabotel is a finnesse player he doesnt like to do the dirty work in the corners so hes gonna need a linemate that will provide that, also heard that he has excellent hands and a nose for the net. Bottom line is that the Giants want to win and they just keep continuing to improve. I think the fans of Vancouver will be impressed with this kid
    Suddenly
    You’ve done it all
    You won me over
    In no time at all

And now I’ll stop the storm if it rains
    I’ll light a path far from here
    I’ll make your fear melt away
    And the world we know disappear

the rich get richer....
    he couldnt score high enough on the test's to get into michigan tech. thats why he is going to the dub

Its not uncommon for contending teams to list top NCAA prospects that they think could possibly both help their team and have a chance of forfeiting their NCAA eligibility to do it. The Giants certainly didn't have these guys beating down their doors in their first few seasons, and they probably didn't even have them listed. I recall the season before (or maybe the same season?) the Rebels won the Memorial cup, they had Dany Heatley listed, and just about had him convinced to join them. It is really more about how strong of a team, and whether or not they want to take a chance on wasting a spot or three on their 50 man protected list all season.

yeah its not like they signed him out of thin air -- he's been on their 50 player protected list since the summer of 2006. They took a chance and lucked out that he was not as academically inclined as initially thought.

He wasn't able to the make the grades he needed to report to Michigan Tech and the Giants managed to convince him to give up on his NCAA aspirations (as the first game he suits up for the G-Men will nullify his eligibility to play for a US college team) and play in the dub.

Its more a matter of being willing to take the chance that he might come around. The Giants took a similar chance with Turris, but he went the college route.

Looking forward to seeing this kid suit up though. Sounds like he might not be as speedy and needs Hayzer to improve his defensive play, but he goes to the net and is purported to be an opportunist and rarely fails to finish within ten feet of the net according to hockey's future. He'll give us a lot of what we lost, with Lucic unable to return to the team.

CPZ - VGHQ article
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

There's a lot of truth in this. Vancouver is a desirable destination for a number of reasons.

1. High profile market.
    2. The players are treated extremely well.
    3. Lots of scouts at the games.
    4. As long as Don Hay is here, there is a guy with a proven track record of winning AND putting a lot of guys into the NHL. If you want to learn to be a good pro, the Giants is a good team to come to.

That said, the Giants management (Bonner and head scout Jason Ripplinger) have done a brilliant job of not only drafting, but signing walk-ons. Remember, none of Cody Franson, Milan Lucic or Spencer Machacek were taken in the bantam draft, and they've been great Giants and should be solid NHLers. In the past 5 years, the brass here have done a lot of things right, personnel-wise.
    WE ARE ALL GIANTS.

Don't forget Big Snake left the team for family reasons, & he also couldn't handle the pressure of being the fan favorite in a large city.
    Not all players can handle playing to large crowds especially some who come from reserves & don't like the lime light.

Hmm so the Giants drafted this kid correct? If so then kudos to them. It's not like this guy had a choice of what team to play with if he was indeed drafted by the Giants. So no ill will towards the Giants if this is the case. They used him as draft pick.