Thread: Team Pacific Announced

Default Team Pacific Announced

Friday, November 16, 2007
    Team Pacific announced
    Team Pacific roster was just announced.

14 of 22 are off WHL rosters....here's the breakdown, with current WHL team and/or which WHL club owns their rights:

Goaltenders:
    Nathan Lieuwen - Kootenay Ice
    James Priestner - Kamloops Blazers

Defencemen:
    Tyson Barrie - Kelowna Rockets
    Ryan Button - Prince Albert Raiders
    Steve Chaffin - Seattle Thunderbirds
    Stefan Elliott - Saskatoon Blades
    Neil Manning - Vancouver Giants
    Dylan Olsen - Medicine Hat Tigers prospect
    Brennan Yadlowski - Lethbridge Hurricanes

Forwards:
    Michael Burns - Edmonton Oil Kings prospect
    Landon Ferraro - Red Deer Rebels
    Ryan Howse - Chilliwack Bruins
    Killian Hutt - Medicine Hat Tigers prospect
    Clayton Jardine - Kootenay Ice prospect
    Evander Kane - Vancouver Giants
    Justin Maylan - Moose Jaw Warriors
    Steve Oursov - Seattle Thunderbirds prospect
    Cameron Reid - Edmonton Oil Kings prospect
    Chase Schaber - Calgary Hitmen
    Brendan Silvester - Seattle Thunderbirds
    Kellan Tochkin - Everett Silvertips prospect
    Dillon Wagner - Swift Current Broncos prospect

As a side note, Burns was dropped by Portland either during the summer or following training camp, and promptly snatched up by Edmonton. Apparently the people picking this team, as well as many other WHL scouts, think he is one of the top 6 '91 forwards in Alberta.....but not Winter Hawks brass. Is this a symptom of the problems in Portland?
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Default Where is Braes

Not picking Cam Braes is a joke. Good little hardworking forward with the Canes. They picked all kindS of guys who can't make the WHL yet. HELLO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK
    Not picking Cam Braes is a joke. Good little hardworking forward with the Canes. They picked all kindS of guys who can't make the WHL yet. HELLO!!!!
    I totally agree, whoever selected that team is a moron not only is Braes in the WHL but he is producing admirably at that level, and in a 3rd/4th line role. Just wait a few seasons when he has an increased role Look out. And this is coming fom a tigers fan, but the kids got skill, you cant take that away from him
    Suddenly
    You’ve done it all
    You won me over
    In no time at all

And now I’ll stop the storm if it rains
    I’ll light a path far from here
    I’ll make your fear melt away
    And the world we know disappear

Not picking Cam Braes is a joke. Good little hardworking forward with the Canes. They picked all kinds of guys who can't make the WHL yet. HELLO!!!!
    Right, 'cause being a 16 year old in the WHL means you're a better player than every 16 year old NOT in the WHL, right? "Hello", yourself.

First, did you consider that some of those kids that are not in the WHL right now aren't there because they don't want to be? Some of them may be set on the college route....which doesn't mean they couldn't be in the WHL right now if they wanted to.

Second, whether you make the WHL at 16 or not depends a lot on the team you're on, not just your skill level. Different teams have different philosophies on whether they keep a kid at 16 or not, and some teams also have more open roster spots for rookies than others do. As an example, you can be sure that Kellan Tochkin is one of the most talented kids on that roster, but him not being in the WHL this year is a decision made by the Everett staff over wanting him to get lots of playing time, and not because he's not as good as say, Cam Braes.

And thirdly, I could list you pages of guys who did not play as 16 year olds but were better players at 18 or 19 than kids who did play here at 16. Not playing in the WHL at 16 does NOT mean you're not as good as kids who do, and that seems to be the entire basis of your argument.

Looks like this team was built to compete against Europeans. There is a lot of speed on Team Pacific.

I've seen Cam Braes play quite a bit and yes he could have been selected to this team. Just my opinion but I think it was a numbers issue with the centres (too many good ones). As well Braes while being a good skater is not a great skater. His game is very North American, he battles, plays with an edge and is great near the net. He is not as adept as some at reading the ice and creating plays, but he is effective on the wall and in the slot.

This will just make him work harder.

Icon32

Agree with Alan and also have to add the fact that each province contibutes equal amount of players which is the reason why McKenzie of Calgary Hitmen wasn't picked. Also maybe a 16 yr old is planning NCAA so he doesn't play in the WHL but he is good enough. clrkth pbj clrkth clrkth :skeptical

Default Boychuk clone

Quote Originally Posted by Eye.Of.The.Tiger
    I totally agree, whoever selected that team is a moron not only is Braes in the WHL but he is producing admirably at that level, and in a 3rd/4th line role. Just wait a few seasons when he has an increased role Look out. And this is coming fom a tigers fan, but the kids got skill, you cant take that away from him
    Your right and comin from a Tigers fan that says a whole lot. Once in awhile Braes and Iwanski will be on la ine with Boychuk which really makes the other 2 pick up thier game. They are all about the same size and type of players so we call it the "Boychuk and 2 little clones line"

Talking 16 year old not in WHL may be great.....but

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC
    Right, 'cause being a 16 year old in the WHL means you're a better player than every 16 year old NOT in the WHL, right? "Hello", yourself.

First, did you consider that some of those kids that are not in the WHL right now aren't there because they don't want to be? Some of them may be set on the college route....which doesn't mean they couldn't be in the WHL right now if they wanted to.

Second, whether you make the WHL at 16 or not depends a lot on the team you're on, not just your skill level. Different teams have different philosophies on whether they keep a kid at 16 or not, and some teams also have more open roster spots for rookies than others do. As an example, you can be sure that Kellan Tochkin is one of the most talented kids on that roster, but him not being in the WHL this year is a decision made by the Everett staff over wanting him to get lots of playing time, and not because he's not as good as say, Cam Braes..

And thirdly, I could list you pages of guys who did not play as 16 year olds but were better players at 18 or 19 than kids who did play here at 16. Not playing in the WHL at 16 does NOT mean you're not as good as kids who do, and that seems to be the entire basis of your argument.
    I don't disagree with you. Take Turris for an example or others that want to go the NCAA ROUTE. The basis of my argument is not that all 16 years old not in the Dub are not any good. My main basis for this is Braes is very good for a 16 year old. He is not riding the bench as some 4th liner. He plays regularly and very well too. If you saw him play a few games you would know what I mean. He is a kid who would make any almost any team in the WHL right now. We only have 2 16 year olds so it is not like 2 years ago whe we had 6 or 7, building for the futre. We are a ery good team with a lot of top notch forwards, yet Braes never misses a shift. This kid is a good fulltime WHL caliber player. My argument is that almost all 16 year olds in the Dub "are good", or they wouldn't be there. Not all 16 year olds not in the WHL are good, but some may be... punk rock
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 12-02-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spell

I don't disagree with you. Take Turris for an example or others that want to go the NCAA ROUTE. The basis of my argument is not that all 16 years old not in the Dub are not any good. My main basis for this is Braes is very good for a 16 year old. He is not riding the bench as some 4th liner. He plays regularly and very well too. If you saw him play a few games you would know what I mean. He is a kid who would make any almost any team in the WHL right now. We only have 2 16 year olds so it is not like 2 years ago whe we had 6 or 7, building for the futre. We are a ery good team with a lot of top notch forwards, yet Braes never misses a shift. This kid is a good fulltime WHL caliber player. My argument is that almost all 16 year olds in the Dub "are good", or they wouldn't be there. Not all 16 year olds not in the WHL are good, but some may be... punk rock
    Come on now. We have 3 16's.

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus
    Come on now. We have 3 16's.
    I guess you are talking about Ashton, who I forgot about since he just got in the line up?