Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Work Pays Off...Finally!

Thumbs up Hard Work Pays Off...Finally!

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/i...357&Itemid=564

Cougars sticking with Cyr
    (Sports) Thursday, 22 November 2007, 21:37 PST
    JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor
    The Prince George Cougars are going with Real Cyr in net tonight in Kamloops.

In these parts, where a goaltender controversy is brewing, that counts as news.

Head coach Drew Schoneck will start Cyr, the 20-year-old veteran who has the worst statistics in the WHL among goalies with 480 minutes or more, over Tommy Tartaglione, following a gut feeling along with a recollection of how Cyr has performed in his career at the Interior Savings Centre, home of the rival Blazers.

Based on the win-and-you’re-in philosophy Schoneck has referred to since Tartaglione was acquired from the Edmonton Oil Kings, the 19-year-old lefty would get the call since Cyr was the goalie of record as the Cats ran their season-worst losing streak to eight games last weekend.

Cyr has a 4.68 goals-against average and an .864 save-percentage, along with a 5-9 win-loss record -- none of those appearance this season against the Blazers. Tartaglione is 4-8 with a 3.35 average and .900 stoppage rate.

Cyr stopped 44 shots in a 3-2 loss in Tri-City last Friday, then blocked 31 of 36 in a 5-1 defeat in Spokane. That makes tonight’s start the third-straight for Cyr, who is in his fourth season in a Cougars jersey.

“Real hasn’t been over-thinking out there, and has been making the first save instead of trying to think three saves ahead,” said Schoneck, whose team closes a six-game road swing with tonight’s game and a Saturday date in Kelowna.

“When he’s on his game, he’s making the first save and then the second and third if they come at him. It is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business, and he knows Tommy has come in and played some good hockey for us. That was our hope when we brought Tommy in, was that it would make both of them better, and to a point it has done that.

“Sure, there’s some sentimentality with what Real has done for this organization, along with how hard he works and how much he’s given to this team. Sometimes 20-year-olds get a mindset that it will be easier, when really it isn’t.”

Schoneck said fan opinion does not make the call, but he acknowledged the team is aware Tartaglione has been getting the louder cheers from CN Centre faithful.

“We have to be true to ourselves and our fans -- they want to see winning hockey, and so do we,” said Schoneck.

“The fans are entitled to their opinion. We do things that may look, from a fan standpoint, like ‘what the hell are those guys thinking.’ Common sense will probably say that Tommy is the guy (tonight), but with Real’s experience and success against Kamloops, as recently as last year’s playoffs and over the years, it’s hard to ignore that he plays his best hockey there. Hopefully he can get on track there.”

Cyr will have defenceman Jesse Dudas (leg) and 17-year-old centre Jan Kupec (concussion) on the ice with him tonight, as the two return from injury. Evan Fuller (groin) and Dale Hunt (hand) won’t play this weekend.

“Kupec will be back, and Jesse is 50-50, though we’re hopeful there -- his leg still hurts,” said Schoneck. “Evan is out, and Dale just got the cast off his hand and he’s another two weeks away. With Evan, I really have no idea how long it will be.”

The coach has spent the week trying to erase the ugly eight from his players’ heads, planning for this not to become a nasty nine.

“We had a chance to touch on things in practice this week, and that was good for us,” said Schoneck.

“We haven’t talked about the losing streak -- we don’t want the guys to dwell on it. You can use it as a motivational tool because we’re better than an eight-game slide, but you want to be positive and focus on the next game, not the last eight.”

Tonight’s game is the second meeting of the year between the Cats and Blazers, and first since the new Kamloops ownership swept head coach and general manager Dean Clark out of office. Prince George beat Kamloops 8-3 on Nov. 2 with Clark behind the bench and Tartaglione in goal for the Cougars. The Blazers are due at CN Centre to end the pre-Christmas schedule, Dec. 14-15.
    I still can't get over the fact that the majority of PG fans are calling for CYR's head. I'm telling you folks, go with this guy if you want to win. He will not quit.
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

Default Cyr

Quote Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan/QUOTE

I still can't get over the fact that the majority of PG fans are calling for CYR's head. I'm telling you folks, go with this guy if you want to win. He will not quit.
    The majority forget who got them to where they ended up last year and that there's more than the goalie on the ice

Let's face it TT is a fan fav because he is a bit of a circus side show, not because he's winning hockey games.

Puckmam is right, there is more to the team than just the goalie. I think they are playing Cyr because he's the kind of role model the team needs. He works hard and wants to be there.

Let's hope the time off, practice, and return of a couple of players will help everyone get back on their game. clrkth
    For What It's Worth

Thumbs up Cyrsie

Another lacklustre offensive performance vs the BLAZERS. How can CYR be blamed for this? Hmmm, let me think. Nope, it's definitely not his fault...again. How is he supposed to backstop this team to victory with that number of shots by his teammates? To top it off, I'm willing to predict coach Shoneck goes with TT tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits

Let's hope the time off, practice, and return of a couple of players will help everyone get back on their game. clrkth

Guess not. And tell me, where was Dudas? It's pretty sad that the guy with a Broken Hand is going to be back before him, with his "Charlie Horse" :skeptical , can that even be considered an injury? Give the kid some magnesium and a glass of water!!!!

I really don't know what to say anymore. (but I'm sure I'll think of something )
    For What It's Worth

Default smileyjones

Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

Let me start by saying I like Real. I have met him a couple of times and he is a personable young man.

But, here are the facts. He has ALWAYS been hot and cold. Forget all this "amazing stuff he has done for the franchise" business. He has NEVER in all his years here been a clear cut #1. This was his time to do it and he has not been up to snuff. Is it all him, no. But he has let in an amazing amount of softies this year. He has been awful, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

This is a what have you done for me lately business, and unfortuneatly the answer is nothing. The problem runs much deeper than in goal, but it is certainly one of the most glaring problems.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyjones
    Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

Let me start by saying I like Real. I have met him a couple of times and he is a personable young man.

But, here are the facts. He has ALWAYS been hot and cold. Forget all this "amazing stuff he has done for the franchise" business. He has NEVER in all his years here been a clear cut #1. This was his time to do it and he has not been up to snuff. Is it all him, no. But he has let in an amazing amount of softies this year. He has been awful, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

This is a what have you done for me lately business, and unfortuneatly the answer is nothing. The problem runs much deeper than in goal, but it is certainly one of the most glaring problems.
    I'm a CYR fan, and you have hit the nail on the head as far as Real never being the clear cut #1 goalie. What do you think that has done to his confidence? He deserved much more ice time in years past. Now, when he is pencilled in as #1, he is playing on a team where several players don't seem to care. More than likely finger pointing is in his direction by several players, including management, and so it seems by fans. You do not know this young man as well as you think or you would not be in here questioning his play. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. When he does have a stellar game the team in front of him lets him down with there indifferent play. When he has a "stinker" like ALL WHL goalies do from time to time, his team decides on the rare occasion to play well in front of him. If I were him, I'd demand a trade to salvage what is left of his career, before he goes down in COUGAR history as the fall guy for the 2007-2008 season. He deserves a chance and a much better ending to his career. Despite your doubts of CYR, which you are completely entitled to, this young man will never quit.

smileyjones Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

I don't think we are trying to hide the fact that we are CYR fans. Are there any Cougar fans on this forum besides Puckmam? It's pretty sad when there are more people talking on this forum from Victoire SK (population 60) than there are from Prince George!!!!! :burningma
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    I don't think we are trying to hide the fact that we are CYR fans. Are there any Cougar fans on this forum besides Puckmam? It's pretty sad when there are more people talking on this forum from Victoire SK (population 60) than there are from Prince George!!!!! :burningma
    Doesn't seem to be. It's sad that other teams are quicker to post compliments here than COUGS fans.
    Is Schoeneck possibly on the same path as Kamloops' latest coach. Returning players must be very frustrated with this years' stats. These kids need to start playing like it's the last game they will ever play and wake up!

Hi Puckmam!!!

Isn't that true, many opposing teams have posted on the PG forum to give the team or individual players a pat on the back. The only thread where I got a bit of action was the one questioning the dedication of the PG fans, and they basically agreed with me. If that was the Raider forum, they would have had my head on a stick!!! Gotta love those Raider fans, they are a passionate bunch.

You know why I think Schoeneck isn't trading Cyr? Because he doesn't want to send the message to the team - If you care, you're gone!!!
    For What It's Worth