Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hard Work Pays Off...Finally!

Default Forums

What were the other 2 forums we used to post on ?

Last year there were several highschool students that used to load up their BBQ and fire it up in the parking lot before games, rain or snow. Sadly they have all moved onto UNBC or school elsewhere and the group has disbanded. Games are no longer a social event for kids. I am sure seeing fans showing up early helped the team. Time to call them for a reunion maybe?

I deleted my first post because I spoke a little stronger than I should have, I don't have any reason to attack anyone on here.

Just so you all know, the couple of times I have met Real Cyr have been at the Cougars functions. The last one being the "Skate with the team". Most of the team is really good about talking with the kids, signing autographs, etc. I single out Real as my daughter was too shy to talk to any of the players, and he approached her, had a nice talk with her and took her for a skate. While I'm singling players out Dana Tyrell and Chris Vanduynhoven also took some time for my kids. You'd be amazed at how these young men are looked up to by kids. My point being, although I have been somewhat critical of Real's goaltending to date, I have no doubt whatsoever that he is a fine young man and will be successful in whatever life brings him.

I actually like the makings of this team, they've got some good players but there are definitely some passengers. I think 2-3 smaller deals that change up the room a bit would make all the difference. They can score when they need to, what I think they require is some more "energy" players. They are just too "easy" of a team to play against. If they had the same record they have now but you knew the other team just hated to play against them (win or lose), I would be a lot more satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by puckmam
    You're not, I was just being sarcastic because Smiley made me mad.
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by smileyjones

I actually like the makings of this team, they've got some good players but there are definitely some passengers. I think 2-3 smaller deals that change up the room a bit would make all the difference. They can score when they need to, what I think they require is some more "energy" players. They are just too "easy" of a team to play against. If they had the same record they have now but you knew the other team just hated to play against them (win or lose), I would be a lot more satisfied.

You know what they say, a change is as good as a rest.
    For What It's Worth

I guess its my turn to sound in.

First and appology to those who seem to think the old posters don't care anymore....some of us have just been plain old to damned busy to spend much time on the computer to do any posting. Email me if you want a comprehensive list of my recent duties, and see how much time you have to be online.

Yes, I too have ragged on Real, as I have the rest of the team. If there were ever a year that this team needed a goalie to steal games for them, this is it. Yes, the forwards have not been getting the job done. The D has been lackluster for the most part. The team as a whole seems to be tuning out the coaches, or they just can't find the chemistry needed to put anything productive on the ice.

Two things I see with the goaltending situation. One, Cyr has never been able to hold onto the #1 position at any time. Last year he was given the job with White as backup/trainee. He stumbled, White faultered, Bowles was brought back into the fold. Once that happened Cyr batteled hard to keep pace. The team infront didn't change. More it seemed Real can't mentally hold the starter job without either letting the softies in, or maybe its trying to hard to 'be the saviour'. The games I have seen this year, both with Tommmy and Real, the team as a whole tends to play better in front of Tommy T. Maybe its the way they know he can scramble. Maybe its the way he can handle the puck and play it to the D. Could be just my preception of it all too, but my preception is my reality.

This team as a whole needs a shake up. What form it will take I don't know, but for this to be a rebuilding year, we sure seem to have a lot of 18/19 year olds hanging around. One good thing about these later aquisitions....they didn't cost anything to pick up as most were castoffs from other teams.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Default apology

Sput I want to apologize to the regular PG posters. I know people are busy doing other things. I just got a little irked when the SK people were being scolded for being here and having an opinion or just plain trying to keep the conversation going.

And as I think I said before. Go ahead, rag on Cyr, we all have our opinions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year when Bowles was brought back in, it wasn't because Real was stumbling, he was injured. Or maybe nobody knew that. They had to bring Bowles in so he wouldn't play injured when White couldn't get the job done.

And, I do agree with you. The team needs a shake up. I've had time to get used to the idea of Cyr going someplace else to play. It might just be the best thing for everyone involved.

Doesn't this team have any foresight? They have a 20 year old and a 19 year for goalies, pick one for #1, go with him, and start developing a 17/18 year old as back-up. They flip flop back and forth with their goalies so much I'm sure they have an identity crisis. Since Real got there has there EVER been a clear cut #1? I don't think so. They never let one guy play any number of games in succession. As soon as a guy loses one game he's out and the other guy is in. I'm no hockey expert but this just seems plain dumb to me.
    For What It's Worth

Talking Greetings Sput!

Hey Sput, how's it going? Glad you're back in this forum. I know you ragged on CYR a bit, but you know what, you are entitled to your opinion. We SK fans tend to get our knickers in a knot when CYR gets bashed, but we're pretty good folks! Please understand, Real is like a son to Tme and I and tend to overact/over protect from time to time...OK all the time!
    What do you think is likely to happen with the COUGARS? Possible shake-ups? Possible trades? New coaches?
    Last edited by WestLEAFfan; 11-26-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

Default Loyal fans

Quote Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan
    What I'm saying is that this young man puts his team first, where several of the other COUGARS do not. You will not find a harder working, more dedicated player ANYWHERE in the WHL. His off ice regiment in the summer would make your head spin. I se it first hand, everday. He comes to the rink everyday expecting to play well and win. You don't think he is disgusted with himself and his team mates? He knows full well that he and his entire team are uneracheiving. If he could, he play forward/defence/goalie all himself if he knew it would spark his team.
    Reading your fan mail and the support some of you guys give a goaltender who plays his heart out and still can't put up the wins make me wish you were Rebel fans. I shudder to think what Cyr would face if he were in Rebel uniform. Reimer gets shredded for being middle of the pack. No one seems to remember 'last year' like you guys do. I am sure your confidence in a struggling goalie will only help him play better. What you say about Cyr and his off ice regimen could be said of Reimer. No one works harder, no one is more loyal to his team and no one is more disgusted with himself after a loss yet we have abandoned him to the wolves, not just the fans but it seems management as well. It's good to see posts by people like you. Warmed my heart reading your posts knowing there are still loyal fans out there somewhere!

Alex Poulter was a favorite of mine to watch in Red Deer. I was very disappointed that he was traded and following him this year it is good to see he is being given a chance to prove what he really is capable of. Already in the top 50 goal scorers and we're barely a third into the season. Imagine what Poulter could be doing for the Rebels if his potential had been given a chance although his confidence here had been so badly eroded, it would have taken a long time for the boy to begin to believe in himself again. A great kid, I wish him every success and with fans like you, I am sure he won't disappoint.

Thumbs up Hello Rebelfan!

Thanks rebelfan, your comments are always welcome in here. It gets a bit boring talking to the same 2 or 3 people day after day. Sounds as if you have a good young man on the REBEL team to be proud of as well. It really pains me to see anyone who puts his/her team first and themselves second, get raked over the coals. CYR and REIMER/POULTER seemingly fit this category. I just wish there were more fans like us...you know the kind...perfect!
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

Default Your a leafs fan aren't you

Perfect might be a stretch. Just kidding