Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: I BLAME THE RADIO ANNOUNCER ( not the color guy though he is great )

[QUOTE=ki17]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckItUp
    . The league could care less about small market teams. Ask the marketing guys what the difference in league marketing dollars are between Swift and Calgary. We end up with like 2% of the Leauge Sponsors. QUOTE]
    Just out of curiousity how do you know they only get 2% of League Sponsorship monies. Lets see the stats.
    Like I said talk to any marketing person in ANY of the small market team and the money is not spread evenly. I cant show you the stats as the league office will not publish them. The person I talked to works with a team in the US. But ask our marketing dept and I know they will tell you the same. 2% for us might be high. And you ask what do I do at games. Well I can tell you I cheer as much as I can whether the people around me like it or not. Could care less what they think

Quote Originally Posted by d-man
    If you want the i-plex to be a tough rink for the opposition to come into it starts with the fans. The talent is on the ice this season the guys need to feed off the energy of the fans. How do you get butts in the seats? What keeps people away from the rink? I have heard this time and time again and have even heard Moberg address it. People say they love the team and they are big supporters and listen to every game on the radio. Yep even all the home games! At home! Gee thanks for being there.
    No knock on Keen and Switzer but anyone ever think that broadcasting home games when the rink is empty, has no atmosphere, etc. isn't exactly helping the cause. The Eagle does a great job but at what expense. Let's say even 100 people stay home each game that's a potential $1600 lost in ticket sales.
    Over 36 homes games that could amount to $57,600. What does the Eagle pay for broadcast rights?
    Perhaps the organization takes away a "free" alternative to attending the game and forces some of those butts into the seats.
    How do you get people into the seats? How about this? You have 800, to 1000 empty seats every game, your not making any money off of those seats anyway, zero, zilch, notta. Why not have it that if you have a full price ticket you can bring a friend for a discounted price, and at least make something off of the empty seats. I think ticket prices are at a fair price, but what I still keep hearing is that it's too expensive for some, especially if you want to bring a family and are coming from out of town. I don't know, just a thought.?
    Always Remembered

nice idea, but I think things like that have been tried. Maybe just have a kick butt family price. for two adults and "X" number of children. and THEN have them sit in a family zone. make it the zone to be in. give them a special instand every game, or prizes, or something. It would go slow at the start, but target the prizes toweards the kids and it may grow !

Quote Originally Posted by d-man
    If you want the i-plex to be a tough rink for the opposition to come into it starts with the fans. The talent is on the ice this season the guys need to feed off the energy of the fans.
    It has been interesting to read your comments from who's fault whatever is to fan support. I will say this from having a friend's son playing in the WHL in the past and following his game. There are no tougher teams to play than teams who have fantastic fan bases! Absolutely nothing puts the fear of God into players than going into 'hostile' rinks. And this is a positive for the opposing team as well as they go in there with a lot of determination to prove 4,000+ fans wrong and put them to shame. Not enough can be said for seats being filled on game nights for the home team and the away team and it makes for a much better game. Atmosphere does so much!!

I would agree, don't blame marketing! Who owns your team? They are the ones who make those kind of decisions. And I also agree, it's not the perks that should bring you to a game. Infact I enjoy nothing more than a little peace and quiet during intermission to chat with the folks I came with. My fun comes from seeing the kids play hard and do battle, not from some rubber burger patties slapping on the ice.

agreed as well. The "I-Plex" used to be one of the toughest, loudest rinks to play in in thw WHL (from what I've heard) and it has changed. big reason why.....because the fans are aging. Same fans, but older. Loud rink 20 years ago...not so much now.
    Yeah, you should be able to visit a bit during intermission....but that is the time to "visit"! The team shouldn't be getting complaints about noise during play because they can't quietly gripe to their neighbor about the reffing situation. or the weather, or the crops, or the kids at the rink, whatever is on the menu to complain about that particular evening.
    You need a mix. fun for the young and "whatever" for the old. ( good luck coming up with the "whatever"), unless you have "moment of silence night"
    but they also have to smarten up and realize that everyone has fun in different ways (the fans that is) . and honestly, can anyone sit here and disagree with me that it isn't a crime to cheer "other" than when the get a goal?
    point is, after all this....I think that the rink and the atmosphere are doomed to be just what it is. because I can't see the demographics changes rapidly any time soon.
    If I was the marketing gang, I would focus on the youth now and try to bring them along over the years to rebuild that base. BUT, like in the past, I don't see this marketing group having the patience to weather THAT amount of time either. They will most likely move on to bigger things. ( or bigger markets!)

When i was in elementary school, i remember getting free tickets every so often. What happened to them giving out free tickets (or something to exchange at the door) to the young kids (forcing them to bring parents, and spending too much money at the concession?
    Unlike most ppl, i quite enjoy hoards of screaming school children running around the building.

AND...funny thing about kids now adays....they have money to spend...so why not let them spend it at the Bronco concession.