Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Silvertips Punushed for poor play

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    I guess the stats don't lie. But they do tell some half truthes. I just think Irving has faced more rubber and can handle the stress better.
    Personally I think Irving has been off since last year's world juniors. Hopefully not making the team this year gets him fired up.
    I take pride in not owning a cowbell!

I guess the point is mute now that neither goalie made the cut. The point I was trying to make is, I don't think Sexsmith has really been challenged or faced any adversity in his entire WHL career. (The Vancouver fans can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) He has always had a good team playing in front of him which makes his job easier and his stats GREAT. But when you look closer at the SO stats and see the number of shots he faced in the entire game is what most goalies face in a period, it makes you wonder how he would fare playing behind some of the bottom teams in the league.
    For What It's Worth

^Well look at the Giants last game against Chilliwack. Shots were low, but the chances were quality including 2 breakaways. He made many nice glove saves and wasn't giving anything up as far as rebounds go.

Actually, in games where he sees more work, he gets better. But in games where he gets less than 20 shots often times the other team will get a sleeper past him where he might not have been as on the ball due to boredom.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Default Relax

Relax old-time, I'm not saying Sexsmith is a bad goalie.

We all know a better part of their game is mental and I wonder how much stress your guy has faced that's all. It's a whole lot less stressful when you know your team is going to come to play every night and not leave you hanging out to dry on a nightly basis. (And don't tell me that going to the Memorial Cup was high stress, he had the comfort of that same team playing in front of him.) Usually when the team struggles, the goalie struggles. When the team struggles (a lot) and the goalie doesn't struggle, it makes you sit back and go, hmmmmm? This guy is a well rounded goalie. Do you think Sexsmith has been tested in this capacity?
    For What It's Worth

Default To be fair...

....Iring actually hasn't played that bad since the first couple weeks of the season. I bet his numbers are pretty good if you take the first 5 or 6 games out.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    Relax old-time, I'm not saying Sexsmith is a bad goalie.

We all know a better part of their game is mental and I wonder how much stress your guy has faced that's all. It's a whole lot less stressful when you know your team is going to come to play every night and not leave you hanging out to dry on a nightly basis. (And don't tell me that going to the Memorial Cup was high stress, he had the comfort of that same team playing in front of him.) Usually when the team struggles, the goalie struggles. When the team struggles (a lot) and the goalie doesn't struggle, it makes you sit back and go, hmmmmm? This guy is a well rounded goalie. Do you think Sexsmith has been tested in this capacity?
    I know. I'm not steamed up. Just giving you an example.

I believe that Sexy has shown that when the chips are down, you can count on him. He has never had to carry a team (ie Luongo) because of the D that the Giants have. But when asked to give his team a chance to win last year when the Giants went on a bit of a stretch of struggling to score and players away with the WJHC, he answered that. Many 1 goal games they lost where if it hadn't been for Tyson the score would have been much worse.

It's hard to say either way until he is put in a position where he would be facing over 35 shots every night.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18