Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Reimer and Watt Comments

1. Default Reimer and Watt Comments

I just finished reading some of the most recent comments on Reimer and Watt! First Reimer. Reimer has played exceptional of late. In fact he has been a steady performer since he joined the team. It's too bad because the kid has played his guts out but can't get a win because of our inability to score goals. This is a problem because they have to play a perfect defensive game to win, which puts a lot of pressure on everyone. Goaltending has definitely not been the Rebels's problem over the past few years. It is their inability to generate any offense and score goals on a consistent basis. Even last year against the Tigers in the playoffs, they could not score goals in their building!

With this in mind, I think Reimers' days as a Rebel are coming to an end. No discredit to him because he has been a bright spot here. For the most part, this team needs to think about next year already! Even if they do sneak into the playoffs this year, it will be over fast. Morgan Clark has proven he can step into the number one role, and I don't think Reimer will be back next year anyways. My prediction is Reimer goes to a contender before the deadline in return for a 17 or 18 year old forward with some offensive upside. Also, it gives Reimer a chance to play for a Championship.

As for Watt, what a disaster of a trade so far. Countless bonehead penalties, suspensions etc. He doesn't even want to be here! Would you want to spend your last season in junior hockey playing on a rebuilding team after you just won the Memorial Cup. I didn't think so! Throw him in to the trade mix to try and sweeten the pot for some younger talent. I say try because his stock has dropped big time since he got here. Too bad, cause when he wants to play smart hockey he is one of the best players on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy's Got A Gun!
    Even last year against the Tigers in the playoffs, they could not score goals in their building!
    The Rebels didn't corner the market on having trouble scoring on Keetley last season.
    My prediction is Reimer goes to a contender before the deadline in return for a 17 or 18 year old forward with some offensive upside. Also, it gives Reimer a chance to play for a Championship.
    I would be happier with a talented 18 year old defenseman. A 17 or 18 year old forward with offensive upside would be nice as well, but isn't going to help us quite as much when the puck is in our end of the ice 3/4 of the time.
    As for Watt, what a disaster of a trade so far. Countless bonehead penalties, suspensions etc. He doesn't even want to be here!
    I think in order for it to be a disaster of a trade, we would have had to have given up something of real value for him, at best I would call it a nothing trade. The only real tragedy here is that a younger guy like Coetzee, or a guy that is working hard and actually doing something like Carter Smith could be getting his ice time and doing something with it. I think that given the Flames relationship with the Rebels, and his injury/suspension problems thus far this season, it is going to be very difficult at this point for the Rebels to trade him.

12112 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter
    The Rebels didn't corner the market on having trouble scoring on Keetley last season.
    I would be happier with a talented 18 year old defenseman. A 17 or 18 year old forward with offensive upside would be nice as well, but isn't going to help us quite as much when the puck is in our end of the ice 3/4 of the time.
    I think in order for it to be a disaster of a trade, we would have had to have given up something of real value for him, at best I would call it a nothing trade. The only real tragedy here is that a younger guy like Coetzee, or a guy that is working hard and actually doing something like Carter Smith could be getting his ice time and doing something with it. I think that given the Flames relationship with the Rebels, and his injury/suspension problems thus far this season, it is going to be very difficult at this point for the Rebels to trade him.

i'd say the only way he is going any where is if he were to get dropped by the flames. dont see that happening!!! AND not to mention i dont see anyone bringing up esposito who also had a pile of penalities that game!

Quote Originally Posted by 12112
    AND not to mention i dont see anyone bringing up esposito who also had a pile of penalities that game!
    Esposito isn't supposed to be a leader on this team, nor is he overage, nor is this a regular thing for him. As such he is held to a different standard.

12112 Guest

Esposito isn't supposed to be a leader on this team, nor is he overage, nor is this a regular thing for him. As such he is held to a different standard.

if u didnt know about good watt/bad watt before he got to red deer, i dunno where you have been the past 2 yrs. this isnt something new for him. He just played for a far superior team that could cope with his bone head penalties

Unhappy Agree

I totally agree, I would rather say at this point in time we need more on D than on forward. Also most of all, very important, we need someone who ACTUALLY WANTS TO BE HERE, Play their butts off for the team, and work hard all the time like Coetzee (loved his style of play by the way - the odd mistake and all)(as you mention SND)) that we have just lost to keep a bonehead like Watt. And I have not always been opposed to Watt, but now, I am calling him a bonehead. A team that consistently works hard and has players on them that want to be there and work every night and every shift WILL do well, no matter what the odds. Keep a "Watt"-type player and it is demoralizing to the team, rubs off and not good for the morale. Any young player that may make a mistake or two but plays their hearts out every game will outplay this type of player (Watt) any day - hands down. How can you compete against a 4 penalty per game guy when you have a player that works hard and barely has any penalties......this last month has been a little bit of a puzzler to me. All the happenings.........as I said before......show me the improvement RD has made since the beginning of the season (wins and losses) and the trades that were made to improve the team....with not much of a different result since start....... I THROW UP MY HANDS!!!!!!!!

Reimer and Watt are both good players, but neither will command much in a trade because neither is likely to return next year. Reimer might return, but not likely. Makes me wonder if there is any team out there in need of both a goaltender and a tough 20 year old with some scoring ability. Am I dreaming if I wish that Reimer and Watt could be packaged together to get a decent player or prospect in return?

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieFender
    Reimer might return, but not likely.
    I think Reimer returning next season has a lot to do with whether or not the Leafs can unload Raycroft on someone, otherwise they still have at least Pogge and Clemmenson in their farm system. My gut feeling is that there is a pretty good chance he will return next season.
    Am I dreaming if I wish that Reimer and Watt could be packaged together to get a decent player or prospect in return?
    Reimer is the kind of player that could really put a competitive team over the top. Including Watt in the deal would do nothing but lower Reimer's value in the deal. As for trading Watt in a separate deal, at one time I would have thought this impossible, but then the Rebels managed to unload a player who was quite possibly the worst goaltender in the history of the WHL in Andrew Leslie and got some pretty decent players in return. I guess only time will tell.

perhaps aquiring david aime was a precurser to trading reimer ? good goalie who could split time with clark.

The GMs in he league know that the Rebels would probably be moving Reimer. Now that he has been a little more consistent, they may be able to move him. He has good numbers but was inconsistent in his play. Rebels have no real goalies coming up the system at this time that are capable of even being a consistent backup to Clark. They needed to find a backup for Clark for end of this year and next year.