Thread: Top 20 WHL rankings

Default Top 20 WHL rankings

Here is the preliminary top rankings for the WHL from The Draft Guy.

http://thedraftguy.com/cms/index.php...page&Itemid=35

The list was compiled with the aid of several NHL scouts and one director of player personnel, who upon having the list emailed to him responded "good list."

I confer on a daily basis with scouts and garner their opinions on all of the top prospects.

Keep in mind it is still early in the season, and many of the players have only been seen on a couple of occasions or so. Most of the scouts I deal with are high up in their organizations, and look at prospects all over the world as opposed to just being regional scouts, so they haven't had a chance to see every top prospect individually yet. There will be changes to the list as the season goes along

If you have any questions about the rankings, I'll check in over the next few days to respond. I am a longtime sports journalist who has gone into providing scouting services on a full-time basis. I do a fair bit of scouting myself and live near Ottawa, where I'm able to see both OHL and QMJHL games quite handily, but I rely heavily on the pros (especially out west); that's their jobs.
    Last edited by The Draft Guy; 12-08-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Great too see Niemi and Holtby crack the top 20 applause

Quote Originally Posted by hobster
    Great too see Niemi and Holtby crack the top 20 applause
    Going into the season Holtby was a no-brainer to crack the top 20 - the talent is there if he can bring a little more consistency.

Niemi sort of came out of nowhere - a pleasant surprise. Not sure if it hurt him or helped him to be out so long with an injury...I have a feeling it helped, as scouts got to see the warts in other players' games like Wright, Wahl, etc.

Ya Niemi has 7 goals in 14 games from defence he has a cannon of a shot i think thats how he hurt his wrist earlier on, he was taking alot of shots and the were blasters.

Yeah - he's got quite a shot, and good size.

I was expecting to hear better things form scouts about Tokarski given his tremendous record, but scouts are wary of his size among other things. If you are a goalie under 6-0 these days, you better really wow the scouts.

I am a huge fan of Eberle, but i am surprised to see him so high, considering how much he has cooled down as of recently.

I know point production isnt everything, but there are a few on the list I might have put above him. Boychuk is basically a more physical version of Eberle, and just as skilled too(though moreso a playmaker than a goal scorer like Jordan)

I would say these rankings are pretty good though. Good job compiling them up. McKeens has definitely gone up a peg in my books.

It's not McKeen's rankings. It is rankings from The Draft Guy.

The publisher of McKeen's consults on the rankings as do several NHL scouts.

FYI The Draft Guy will be putting out two publications in the New Year.

The Mid-Term Guide, which will be published in late January, and the 2008 Daft Guide, which will be published in late May. I'll let you know when all the details are finalized.

Boychuk-Eberle was a tough one. You won't get many scouts that can develop a consensus on that. AS much as you have to love the way Boychuk plays at the junior level, his lack of size and puck possession skills may hinder him in the NHL. Most scouts are wondering whether he has the skill set to be a top six guy on a decent team. Eberle on the other hand may be a different story; his hands are pretty special.

So if you ask most scouts which they would rather draft - a tough 5-9 winger with all the intangibles but questionable offensive upside at the NHL level or the 5-11 center who is softer but has the skills to be a top-two center with the proper development and dedication to getting stronger and better defensively.

One of the things I have had to learn as I became more involved with scouting is that I'm trying to project how good these players will be four years from now in the NHL; not next year in junior. I suspect Boychuk will be more valuable to his junior team than Eberle this season and next, but will he ever be a top six forward in the NHL? Perhaps. Stickhandling is tougher to teach than defensive zone coverage.

Default Sbisa

You have Sbisa ranked 7th. The ISS or Central Scouting (I am not sure which) has him far lower than this.

Good to see. The Kid gets better every game and if he continues to improve he could be a bonafide NHL'r.

Yes sibsa and Niemi are great offensive d=men for there age

as usual from any ranking, not one single Kootenay ICE player in there. You have to be a super star to get noticed here. Tonnes of success by no recognition baffles me year after year.
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!