Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Report Cards

Default Report Cards

Time to do report cards on the 2004/05 Bronco's, starting with the goalies. Opinions welcome.

Kyle Moir 6'3" 185 lbs. ( A )
    Many thought Kyle was not ready to be the # 1 goalie and thought trading Grenier was a mistake. Kyle did what some thought he never could do which was stand on his head. Plays the rebounds very well and covers the net with his size. Had a 2.90 G.A.A. on a team that had no offence. Could have been alot worse record for the Bronco's but Kyle made some very key saves early in the games to keep the Bronco's in. Only draw back to grading higher was he had a tendancy to let in a weak goal. Should be near the top in goalie ranking next year.

Trevor Peeters 6'1" 165 lbs. ( B )
    The son of N.H.L. hall of famer Pete Peters came over in a trade with Red Deer. Never really got a chance to play much with Kyle being so dominent. Has a good glove hand but was weak in controlling his rebounds and went down early. Could improve under his dads guidance. Had a G.A.A. of 3.02.

Up and coming:

Travis Yonkman 6'1" 175lbs. (?)
    Travis is going to be groomed to replace Kyle. Travis suited for the Saskatoon Contact of the S.M.H.L. Had a G.A.A.of just over 2 and in 6 play-off games has a G.A.A. of 1.91. Played in The Mac's Midget Tourney and had an outstanding tournament winning the prestigious tournament and walking away with the most valuable player in the championship after getting a shut-out in a 1-0 win. Helped Saskatoon cruise to a 38-3-2-1 record. This kid is for real. The Bronco's drafted him 99th in the 2003 bantam draft. Has good positioning and controls his rebounds. Very fast glove hand. Has a very good shot of being the back up goalie behind Moir next year. Team mate of Kyle Bortis who many are picking to be a star in the W.H.L. in the future and also drafted by the Bronco's.

Scout
    Last edited by Scout; 03-21-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Tupac to the Top Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scout
    Time to do report cards on the 2004/05 Bronco's, starting with the goalies. Opinions welcome.

Kyle Moir 6'3" 185 lbs. ( A )
    Many thought Kyle was not ready to be the # 1 goalie and thought trading Grenier was a mistake. Kyle did what some thought he never could do which was stand on his head. Plays the rebounds very well and covers the net with his size. Had a 2.90 G.A.A. on a team that had no offence. Could have been alot worse record for the Bronco's but Kyle made some very key saves early in the games to keep the Bronco's in. Only draw back to grading higher was he had a tendancy to let in a weak goal. Should be near the top in goalie ranking next year.

Trevor Peeters 6'1" 165 lbs. ( B )
    The son of N.H.L. hall of famer Pete Peters came over in a trade with Red Deer. Never really got a chance to play much with Kyle being so dominent. Has a good glove hand but was weak in controlling his rebounds and went down early. Could improve under his dads guidance. Had a G.A.A. of 3.02.

Up and coming:

Travis Yonkman 6'1" 175lbs. (?)
    Travis is going to be groomed to replace Kyle. Travis suited for the Saskatoon Contact of the S.M.H.L. Had a G.A.A.of just over 2 and in 6 play-off games has a G.A.A. of 1.91. Played in The Mac's Midget Tourney and had an outstanding tournament winning the prestigious tournament and walking away with the most valuable player in the championship after getting a shut-out in a 1-0 win. Helped Saskatoon cruise to a 38-3-2-1 record. This kid is for real. The Bronco's drafted him 99th in the 2003 bantam draft. Has good positioning and controls his rebounds. Very fast glove hand. Has a very good shot of being the back up goalie behind Moir next year. Team mate of Kyle Bortis who many are picking to be a star in the W.H.L. in the future and also drafted by the Bronco's.

Scout
    A good assessment Scout. The only guy I can't speak on is Peeters. You've obviously seen him play much more than I have. Because I've seen so little of him I'd barely be able to tell you what color his pads are. How do you rate captain Luke?

Default Peeters?????

Horrible!!!!! I don't understand that trade????? He could only win 2 games in Red Deer and their Defence is way better than ours. In all the games I watched in Red deer this year and last year I only seen him win 1 game rebounds are horrible and confidence is low. I rate him a Junior A goalie.

Default Report Card Right Defence

Swift Currents strong point at the beginning of the year was supposed to be defence. But the defence looked average because of Moir. The only real size and aggressiveness we had was 6'5" 225lb. Trojovsky who was traded to Prince George when we looked to be out of the play-off race.

Jason Fransoo 6' 175lb. ( B- )
    Played heads up hockey and was one of our better defenceman. Clears the puck around the boards and saw the ice well. Had good passing ability. Drawback was he is not big enough and was man handled in front of the net.

Michael Hengen 6' 180lbs. ( B- )
    Michael was never really given regular play until Matt was traded. Sees the ice very well and found the open man. Made some rookie mistakes by panicing under pressure inside our zone. Still he tried his best not to give the puck away but again was over powered by bigger forwards. Again is not big enough to move the power forwards from other teams. Has good offensive skills but doean't use them.

R.J.Larochelle 6'1" 178lbs. ( B+ )
    R.J. came over in the package deal from Lethbridge for Redenbach. A local boy who plays it rough. Had no problem making you pay for standing in front of the net. Never played much after suffering a concussion soon after the trade. He was one of a couple of D-Men who punishes opposing players. Had a problem taking out the speedsters who seemed to get past him on the outside.

Donny Lloyd 6' 190lbs. ( A- )
    Donny was traded to Swift from Kootney Ice early in the season. Was playing a solid defensive game until he got ill. Plays a solid stay at home game. Has a good shot when he uses it and plays like a seasoned vet. Will drop the gloves when needed and did fairly well. Should mature next year and take more of a leading role.

When all your right D is 6' and under 200lbs. it makes it for a tough situation. Size is needed. Most of these guys seem to be offensive but had to play defensive. They all have good wheels but when you have a guy like Fehr from Brandon who stands 6'4" 200+lbs. how do you move him. Larochelle was the most aggressive out of the bunch and he wasen't even 200lbs. We had no itimidation in the back end.

Scout

Default Report Card Left Defence

Although our right defence lacked size, our left defence is stronger.

Marc Dafoe ( B )
    Marc played his first year this year for the Bronco's. Standing at 6'5" 205lbs. he will only grow. Looks to be a stay at home defencemen who for a guy his size skates well. Will be a good asset once his weight catches up to his height. Didn't play an aggresive style but i believe he will become more predominent as his feet get wet. Was shy to shoot the puck and seemed to play safe by shooting the puck along the boards even in the opposing end.

Myles Rumsey ( A )
    Myles stands 6'2" and weighs in at 185lbs. Was the Bronco's best defencemen this year. Clears the net well and will punish you. Hits hard along the boards and is one of the toughest middle weights in the dub. Never looked for fights but when challenged he would drop them and usually drop his opponent. Very seldom stood back and went toe to toe and is more of a technical fighter who waited to unload the bomb. Starting to gain a reputation as tough. Has a good shot who used it often from the blue line. A seasoned vet who held the D together.

David Schulz ( C )
    David was the most controversial Bronco. A vet of three seasons he seems to make alot of rookie errors. Standing 6'3" 205lbs. he played alot smaller. Has great wheels and a good shot if he could hit the net. For a guy his size he should be throwing his weight around but insists on playing a finesse style. Backed off along the boards if he heard skates behind him. Did not finish his checks along the boards, instead would try and poke the puck away. Seems to panic with the puck and more than often gave the puck away. He has to play an aggressive role and show leadership and determination against opposing players.

Help is on the way:
    The Bronco's have some good young defence coming up. Karl Beinke stands 6'5" 220 lbs and is only 16. He is still growing and will be molded to replace Matt Trojovsky. Plays a rough game if need be and is tough. Will be a stay at home D-man who likes to hurt you if you stand in front of the goalie. Will drop them and did at Bronco camp, twice with Matt and held his own.

Paul Postma: Bronco's first round bantam pick is a very offensive defencemen. Played for Red Deer Chiefs and has a good chance to make the club this year. Has a great set of wheels and a good shot. Likes to rush with the puck and sees the ice very well. Look for him to become an elite D-man in the dub.

Derek Claffey: Derek was Postma's defensive partner in Red Deer. When Paul was rushing up ice with the puck Derek stayed back. Is a stay at home D-man who likes to play it rough. Needs to grow a bit and gain some weight.

With some of the new D coming in, look for some new faces in the Bronco line-up next year. D looks very strong for the future.

Scout
    Last edited by Scout; 03-25-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Foward Report Cards?

Default Rating

Lets see i rated two goalies and our defence. That hardley says we would be in the cup. For a team as weak on scoring as we were our D played alright and Moir was solid. If we were in the East division we would be in the play-offs. I never will tear a player apart but will give an honest opinion and look at the bright side. So lets hear your rating of the Bronco D and goaltending?

Scout

By the way, my rating system is A+ to C- not A-Z.
    Last edited by Scout; 03-25-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Default Lever

Why is your reply forward Report Cards? Did i miss something here or did you not finish. I am looking for input on these players also, so feel free to reply.

Scout

Default One Defenseman I Think Has A Shot

How about Greg Alexander i know he ain't the tallest kid in the world, but he is a former first round selection (i think) and he will get a real look to make the team next year as an 17 yr old, especially with him moving up and down from Swift to Vancouver this year. Just another name for our young, and potentially strong backend.

Default Oops

Forgot about him and yes he has a shot. Dean has alot of decisions to make and will mould this team to his liking. I thin we may see alot of new faces next year either in trades or draft picks.

Scout