Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitmen Trade Deadline Thread

Iconwhl

I have heard that the 2 main teams going after Figren are the Regina Pats and the Calgary Hitmen... By the sounds of it all Figren has to do is give the go ahead for the trade to be sent in with the Regina Pats.

Is there any chance of the Hitmen maybe going after 20yr old Euro Fiala from Saskatoon? Is there any chance of the Hitmen trading away Gillen to make room for a top 20yr old? and maybe filling Gillens void on Defence with a 18 or 19 yr old Dman?

Who knows maybe the Hitmen may get Figren but incase he doesnt go to Calgary are the Hitmen still looking for a top Euro?

Maybe about that other post made about Backlund, maybe Backlund agreed to come to canada if he was to play for the Hitmen... Maybe Kelowna would be willing to trade his rights away for a price of a draft pick or prospect.

Cant wait til Thrusday comes and goes all this speculation and rumour mill get so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricobob
    Thanks for the clarification on Backlund, I didn't check if he was protected.
    Just a note here.....if a European player is not protected by a CHL team (ie, selected in the import draft), he is not eligible to play in the CHL.

Even if Kelowna had not picked Backlund in the import draft, he wouldn't be allowed to just join the Hitmen. He would be ineligible to play in the WHL this year in that case.

Iconwhl

Kelowna picked Mikael Backlund with the 43rd pick in this years Import Draft (he was there 2nd 1st round choice in the Import Draft)

Would like to see the Hitmen get another goaltender,our 2 guys
    have been too inconsistent this year, too many bad goals, I know
    Westblom hasn't had the greatest of years but he may be available..
    My first choice would be Reimer, every game I've seen him play over
    the last couple years, he's been pretty solid

Ricobob Guest

Reimer would be good, I wonder what the chances are of that happening? I thought of Westblom, but Kelowna isn't doing too bad this year they might not part with him unless they get a decent goalie in return.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Spokane and Calgary talking about trade. They need a top defenceman, while Calgary needs a top goaltender. Both have an excess of the one thing the other team needs.

The chiefs have two very capable starters, and with Calgary deep D, they can afford to lose a good defenceman to upgrade in net. Armstrong would probably be going the other way.

Default NOt Armstrong for Spence

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Spokane and Calgary talking about trade. They need a top defenceman, while Calgary needs a top goaltender. Both have an excess of the one thing the other team needs.

The chiefs have two very capable starters, and with Calgary deep D, they can afford to lose a good defenceman to upgrade in net. Armstrong would probably be going the other way.
    I would rate Armstrong and Spence on the same level. Even though Armstrong has good numbers this year, a lot of that is the team in front. His numbers weren't exceptional last year with a weaker team. I don't think Calgary would gain anything with a Spence/Armstrong trade. I think anyone who gets Reimer will not be disappointed. He seems to keep his very weak, young team in the game most nights when he gets to play. And has made some amazing saves along the way. Don't let Brandon get him, Calgary. It might come back to haunt you.

Iconwhl

I would have to completely disagree here with Armstrong and Spence being on the same level... Armstrong is a exceptional goaltender with the numbers to prove it the most important stat for goaltenders are there save% and his is exceptional a .920% not to mention his save% last season on a much weaker Chiefs team was a very soild .900

There was a reason why Spokane went and traded for this guy from Saskatoon a couple years ago. Hes a quality goaltender at 19, if infact he is on the market any team would be lucky to land a guy like this. If i was a Hitmen fan i would want Armstrong over Spence anyday especially if your planning on makeing some noise in the playoffs this season.

i would agree, Armstrong would be a huge improvement over Spence. I also think that an elite goalie would be the last piece of the puzzle for the Hitmen. They have depth up front, depth on the backend, and are just missing that top level goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114
    There was a reason why Spokane went and traded for this guy from Saskatoon a couple years ago. Hes a quality goaltender at 19, if infact he is on the market any team would be lucky to land a guy like this. If i was a Hitmen fan i would want Armstrong over Spence anyday especially if your planning on makeing some noise in the playoffs this season.
    How do we know Armstrong can carry a team in the playoffs? He has never played a minute of WHL playoff hockey in his life.

Spence played Calgary into the 3rd round last year. Yes, he was inconsistent against Kootenay in the first round but was solid against Brandon and Medicine Hat. He has been inconsistent again this year and that's about the only reason why I would be interested in upgrading him. I'm not so sure that Armstrong is an upgrade, based on his career numbers and performance.

Leland Irving is a different story. Ditto for Reimer, although Reimer is only minimally playoff-tested too.