Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Firesale Has Begun!

Bus needs new shocks, but no rust.

From day one of the season Giants fans have wondered if/when the backup situation changes for us. I right away thought of Cyr. But I think Bonner was keeping our open O/A for incase he could pull another Wacey Rabbit style deal off. Hasn't happened so now what is he going to do with that spot?

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Default Earlier Comment

Was it you Smiley that said in an earlier trade discussion that D. Tyrell was the heart and soul of the team. I can see him and Cyr staying just for that reason, to be role models for the youngsters on the team. If some of their enthusiasm, attitude, and work ethic can be passed on, the future may be a little brighter. Plus, I agree, it will be pretty hard to move a 20 year old goalie with the stats he currently holds. I'd rather see Real stay in PG and share the job with Tommy than go ride the pine as back-up for another team.
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by old_time_hockey
    I'm trying to offload someone we don't want...but I see you are too sharp. Should have tried to make the deal with Thompson...he would have went for it.

Giants have a bit of situation in backup. While Barnstable played very well in Seattle, he is still a 17 year old rookie. What if god forbid (knocks on all wood in reach) something happens to Sexsmith in the playoffs? Need someone of Cyr's experience who can take control. But does Bonner fill an O/A spot for an insurance goalie?

That and I would like to see Cyr finish his career with dignity and not getting slighted by Dallas Thompson in the papers.

From day one of the season Giants fans have wondered if/when the backup situation changes for us. I right away thought of Cyr. But I think Bonner was keeping our open O/A for incase he could pull another Wacey Rabbit style deal off. Hasn't happened so now what is he going to do with that spot?
    That's too funny for me to stay mad, you're forgiven. Cyr might look pretty good in a Giant's uniform...with a bag over his head ....he might even play goal better...sorry CYRSIE I had to say it before someone else did. vci11
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

Default No problem with him staying

By all accounts he had a pretty tough game in Portland on Sunday, but he's probably pretty frustrated right now with his support or lack thereof.

As for heart and soul, gotta say it's Tyrell, Gardner, and Cyr. The young guys do need some role models and these guys can definitely do the job. The guy who's really stepping it up right now is Art Bidlevskii. 16 years old, not that big, but man he's hitting, fighting, and getting a ton of ice time. With Wishart gone he may be the #1 all round d-man.

As you guys are close to PA (I think) do you have any idea what's up with Cody Vann & Cole Penner? I would imagine one or both of them will get moved with the deadline looming.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyjones
    By all accounts he had a pretty tough game in Portland on Sunday, but he's probably pretty frustrated right now with his support or lack thereof.

As for heart and soul, gotta say it's Tyrell, Gardner, and Cyr. The young guys do need some role models and these guys can definitely do the job. The guy who's really stepping it up right now is Art Bidlevskii. 16 years old, not that big, but man he's hitting, fighting, and getting a ton of ice time. With Wishart gone he may be the #1 all round d-man.

As you guys are close to PA (I think) do you have any idea what's up with Cody Vann & Cole Penner? I would imagine one or both of them will get moved with the deadline looming.
    From what I have read on the RAIDER forum, Vann left the team of his own accord, and Penner may be in AAA Midget somewhere. Apparently he has a serious attitude problem. Probably the best place to ask your question is in the RAIDER forum. I'm only speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan
    That's too funny for me to stay mad, you're forgiven. Cyr might look pretty good in a Giant's uniform...with a bag over his head ....he might even play goal better...sorry CYRSIE I had to say it before someone else did. vci11
    No I was dead serious about wanting Cyr.

Look at what might have happened if not for Neufeld in game 1 against the Whack. Neufeld liked his roll of being the calm vet behind the rookie. Got to play in the Memorial Cup and has a ring.

You are close to him. Is he really happy being in PG after some of the things that were said about him?

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

No I was dead serious about wanting Cyr.

Look at what might have happened if not for Neufeld in game 1 against the Whack. Neufeld liked his roll of being the calm vet behind the rookie. Got to play in the Memorial Cup and has a ring.

You are close to him. Is he really happy being in PG after some of the things that were said about him?
    Talked to him over Christmas. He is never one to trash his teammates or community and tries not to read the headlines. He never shies away from the press' tough questions though. This young man is a winner through and through.

Default Torn

Gawd you guys, can't even leave to eat supper and you are burning up the thread. vci34 I think this is the most action this forum has seen in the past month.

I'm trying to offload someone we don't want...but I see you are too sharp. Should have tried to make the deal with Thompson...he would have went for it.

Giants have a bit of situation in backup. While Barnstable played very well in Seattle, he is still a 17 year old rookie. What if god forbid (knocks on all wood in reach) something happens to Sexsmith in the playoffs? Need someone of Cyr's experience who can take control. But does Bonner fill an O/A spot for an insurance goalie?

That and I would like to see Cyr finish his career with dignity and not getting slighted by Dallas Thompson in the papers.
    I'm torn between what I think Cyr would want and what I think might be best for him. If I were to bet $ I would say he would prefer to stay in PG but after the last 3 games.... who knows. I on the other hand, would love to be able to see him play with a stellar team like the Giants in front of him.

As for dignity....it may not all come down to winning or stats for Cyr.

Old-Time:

As weird as this may sound, I think he's really happy in PG. But like Westleaf said, if he were unhappy, he'd never say. I think he likes Thompson too.

SmileyJones:

Well, hopefully they hang onto the heart and soul and see what they can come up with in the mix of the trade. It's nice to hear that a 16 year old is showing such promise too. I'm keeping my rose coloured glasses on Smiley. I was talking to Westleaf about the Cougars the other day and we were trying to figure out if the playoffs is just a pipe dream. We came to the conclusion that PG was going to have to do a lot of things right and a lot of other teams were going to have to do a lot of things wrong. But....isn't that how PG got into the playoffs last year? I remain forever optimistic, don't shoot me.

We don't live close enough to PA to be "in the know". Only what is read on the PA forum.
    Last edited by TwoBits; 01-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    For What It's Worth

Default Sold!

Oldtimehockey:

Hey Oldtime, did you hear Tri City needs a bus? Their's broke down on the way to the game tonight. Maybe you should give them a call.
    For What It's Worth