Thread: Defenceman Delahey doing dependable duty

Default Defenceman Delahey doing dependable duty

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...6-f389cc0527a1

Defenceman Delahey doing dependable duty
    Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
    Published: Tuesday, January 15, 2008
    Matt Delahey's stock is rising even faster than his numbers.

Both have gone through the roof during a recent jump in icetime with the Regina Pats, who heaped considerable responsibility upon the second-year WHLer while their blueline was decimated by a succession of trades, injuries and international assignments.

In the midst of all the chaos, the 18-year-old rearguard provided a constant, steadying influence that allowed the Pats to hold the fort until reinforcements arrived.

"I'm enjoying all the icetime and the opportunity; it's good to get out there and show what I can do," offered Delahey, whose team meets the Brandon Wheat Kings tonight at the Brandt Centre. "I just want to keep going and keep progressing from here. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll make a good run as a team and that'll help me in the end."

Delahey hasn't just elevated his game, he has raised his value in the minds of NHL scouts.

When Central Scouting released its midterm grades last week for the 2008 entry draft, Delahey was ranked 50th among North American-based skaters and 16th in the WHL.

"It's nice to see but it doesn't mean a lot," he said of the rankings. "Anything can happen in the draft. I try not to think about it because lots of good players get missed and the more you think about it the more it just wears on your mind. I like to stay in the moment. If you do allow it to be, it can become a distraction."

The Pats faced a distraction of their own in the absence of blueliners Logan Pyett (world juniors), Nick Ross (trade), Juraj Valach (trade) and Alex Pym (world under-17s).

During that period of transition, Delahey has shown a well-rounded game, including some previously untapped offensive talents. After being held without a point in his first 29 games this season, the Moose Jaw native has posted two goals and nine assists for 11 points in his last 14 outings.

"I'm not sure (what happened)," he said with a smile. "I started the season a little slow and then I started playing good. I was still not getting points. I just kept at it and they started going in so I'm happy about it."

Head coach Curtis Hunt is surprised by the recent breakthrough. He believes Delahey is becoming the kind of player the Pats always thought he could be.

"Matty is kind of an under-rated guy," Hunt said of the 6-foot-3, 214-pounder. "He was an all-star at the midget AAA level and he was a guy who maybe took the wrong route to get here in terms of bulking (up) versus quickness. It has been a tough process for him. He thought maybe he'd step in and contribute a little bit more but he's the kind of player everybody is looking for. He's stay at home, he's physical, he's playing with an edge now. His reliable play has earned him opportunities on the power play, where I think he has done a very good job. He's obviously very comfortable (with his game) right now."

Asked if his recent contributions can be attributed to confidence or opportunity, Delahey responded with "a little of both."

That said, he's not ready to hang his hat on stats alone.

"I'm not an offensive D-man but I like to add a little," said Delahey, who had one goal and five assists in 60 games last season as a WHL rookie. "That's another dimension to my game. I've been playing good in my own end and things have been working out for me in the other end too."

Delahey's priorities would seem to mesh with those of Hunt, who wants to see his young blueliner continue to focus on playing a simple, physical game in his own end. The offence is a byproduct of those efforts, but it's simply a bonus.

"Confidence is a tricky thing," added Hunt. "Confidence is nothing more than doing things right. If you do things right, you get second chances. He continues to just do the little things right and that's what gives him more opportunities."

- Go online to leaderpost.com to read Greg Harder's views on hockey, and the Regina Pats in particular, at the Slap Shots blog.

SCOUTING REPORT

BRANDON (27-15-0-1) at REGINA (27-15-3-1)

Today, 7 p.m., Brandt Centre

Radio: 620 CKRM

Key injuries: REGINA -- D Victor Bartley (groin, day-to-day); RW Brett Leffler (collarbone, 1-2 weeks); BRANDON -- C Andrew Clark (ankle, week-to-week); D Daryl Boyle (shoulder, day-to-day).

Overview: The Pats are looking to increase their three-point lead over Brandon in the battle for first place in the East Division. The Wheat Kings have three games in hand . . . This will be the teams' first meeting since Regina added six new faces prior to the WHL trade deadline. Bartley is still waiting to make his debut. He'll be a game-time decision . . . Brandon made one move at the deadline, acquiring 6-foot-5, 216-pound stay-at-home D-man Matt McCue, 19, from Chilliwack . . . The Pats have earned at least a point in five straight games (3-0-2), including two straight wins since the deadline . . . Brandon has a 3-2 record against Regina this season . . . The Wheat Kings are coming off a 4-1 loss to the Vancouver Giants on Saturday . . . Brandon's two rookie scoring sensations -- Brayden Schenn and Scott Glennie -- along with D Brodie Melnychuk of Balgonie, were teammates with Pats RW Garrett Mitchell and D Alex Pym at the recent world under-17 tournament. They won bronze . . . The Wheat Kings are the least-penalized team in the WHL . . . LW Tyler Dittmer, 20, is Brandon's top scorer (27-20--47). The Pats are led by 17-year-old RW Jordan Eberle (27-19--46). They're tied for third in the WHL goal-scoring race.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Default Why do they do that??

Matt is doing great and developing well.
    The Pats organization always sets the players and the team up to be under achievers by over promoting a job well done.
    reality is
    Matt Delahey Regina Pats #64 in WHL Defenceman 43 2 9 11 44

Points in 4 of his last 8 games.

Keep up the good work Matt and don't let the Parker hype effect your focus.