Thread: Tips on "easy" trip to PG

Default Tips on "easy" trip to PG

Silvertips on their 'easy' trip

It may not be as grueling as the trip east, but the 11-hour trip to Prince George still has its hardships.

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

Not everything about the life of a major junior hockey player is glamourous.

Take, for example, the current situation of the Everett Silvertips.

Monday morning they set out on an 11-hour bus ride to Prince George, a city in remote British Columbia.

They arrived to sub-zero temperatures, meaning the majority of their three-plus day stay will be spent trying to keep warm.

But at least there are two consolations for the Tips:

1. This the last major road trip Everett takes this season, at least until the playoffs.

2. At least it's not as grueling as the annual trip to the Eastern Conference.

"This one was easy," Everett coach John Becanic said Tuesday via cell phone from Prince George. "It's only two games and one team (as opposed to six games in six different cities when the team travels out east). It doesn't even compare to the trip out east.

"But it's really cold."

Everett, just like every other team in the U.S. Division, usually makes just one trip to Prince George per season, playing the Cougars twice in the process. It's a way of cutting back on the number of times the team has to make the 500-mile trek to the league's most-remote location.

"It was uneventful," Becanic said of Monday's bus ride. "It took 11 hours and there was nothing major. It was clear skies, so we didn't run into any problems."

However, Everett tends to get an early jump on the trip to Prince George, thus the Monday night arrival for games that aren't until tonight and Thursday.

And that means a fair amount of dead time.

That's not a problem for one member of Everett's team, right wing Dan Gendur. For Gendur the trip to Prince George is something of a homecoming. Everett's co-leading scorer spent 21/2 seasons with the Cougars before coming to Everett in a trade midway through last season. He still maintains contact with people in Prince George.

"I had a lot of fun in my times up here in the winters," Gendur recalled. "Being with my billets, going sledding now and again, they're fond memories. And my good friend Kalvin Sagert is still on the team, though there's not many guys I know anymore after all the trades they made."

His ties to the city mean Gendur has some options during the free time. The rest of the team isn't so lucky. The team held practice Tuesday afternoon and had a team-building exercise afterward. But otherwise the players are trying to find ways to pass the time until game time.

"It's different for me," Gendur said. "I get to go out and see people I know. But for the guys who just come up to play the games I imagine it's pretty boring. I know some of them were going to go to a movie and some others were going to go bowling."

But while the players may see down time, the coaches see opportunity.

"I like it," Becanic said of the extra free time. "It gives us time to teach. It gives us a full day to prepare for a game midweek, which we never get. For games at the Events Center the guys show up at 5 p.m. (because of school obligations) and that's it. This gives the opportunity to really concentrate on the opponent."

In a sense, the games at Prince George are like a return to the scene of a crime. The last time the Tips traveled to Prince George they were upset by the Cougars in the second round of the playoffs last season, with the series ending in an ugly 8-2 loss.

But there are few ties remaining to that series, at least on the Prince George side. Just seven players remain from the team that ousted the Tips last season.

One player who didn't join the Tips on the trip is winger Kyle Beach. Beach, who shares the team lead in scoring with Gendur, remained in Everett because of his concussion.

Default Today's game

Today's game
    Opponent: Prince George Cougars

When: 7 p.m.

Where: CN Centre, Prince George, B.C.

Radio: KRKO (1380 AM)

Scouting report: Everett (27-20-0-2) finally gets its first look at the Cougars (14-32-1-1) this season when the teams play back-to-back tonight and Thursday in Prince George. Prince George is the only team in the Western Conference the Tips have yet to face this season.

Prince George appears destined to miss out on the playoffs. The Cougars find themselves 17 points out of a playoff position and falling further behind. Prince George traded its top player, defenseman Ty Wishart, to Moose Jaw at the trade deadline. The Cougars have won just once in seven games since, that win coming against league cellar dweller Portland.

The Cougars still have one premier player remaining in 18-year-old center Dana Tyrell (18 goals, 27 assists). Twenty-year-old center Greg Gardner (17 goals, 22 assists) is a solid player, and the Cougars salvaged 18-year-old center Alex Poulter (12 goals, 16 assists) off the scrap heap and found out he can play.

In goal, 20-year-old Reall Cyr (7-18-1-0, 4.40 goals against average, .873 save percentage) will have to equal his performance from last season’s playoff series against Everett if the Cougars are to have a chance, though 17-year-old Ian Curtis (5-4-0-1, 3.61 goals against average, .871 save percentage), acquired in another deadline deal, may get one of the games. Curtis beat the Tips on Dec. 12 when playing for Swift Current.
    Nick Patterson, Herald Writer