Thread: Seattle/Portland

Default Seattle/Portland

I was thinking about something. Why in the worl did we decide to start birch against Seattle when we had Yellow Horn, Mccaughly, and one ohter player out of the lineup? Seattle has given us a tough time all year long! To top it off the second goal that Seattle scored was so so soft and the player who shot it was even surprised! We are in a battle for not only a division championship but a CONFRENCE championship and we can't be giving any games away! Then for some odd reason we start Chet in goal against Portland! Seems a little backwards! Birch could have played that game! So whateve rI am just a little frustrated that we gave two points away! :burningma

wheels1 Guest

Default Birch

The problem is that you need Birch to get a few more starts down the stretch or Chet will be useless in the playoffs. You want to get Birch some starts against better teams so he doesn't lose his confidence.. You never know when we will need him to play against a high calibur team. Didn't Birch start the game against Calgary? They are the top team in the East and he played Great!! (if i remember correctly)

Here is the other thing to think about. We have not played well against Seattle this year with Chet in the net. Having Birch play could have been a spark for the team even with those other guys out.

I think the players you mention that were out against Seattle, were out to rest minor injuries. And I would say that playing your whole team, like Birch, increasing your depth and options, is more important than top place in the division. It would be nice to advance a spot and face a slightly lower standing team in playoffs. But all playoff competitors will be a handful I expect. So its better to really be firing on all cylinders when you get there.

I see what you are saying about firing on all cylinders once we get to the playoffs but boy we haven't even one a division championship in 21 years! It would be nice to hang at least one banner up in the building! I have a lot of confidence in our team but it gets frustrating. We are playing some amazing hockey though!

I think I'm prepared to change my mind now on the banner. I was thinking it was secondary to still preparing full depth. Yes, you still have to find ways to play all to be as deep and dynamic as you can be down the stretch. But its a tough thing to balance.

Cause right now I think you want to kill three birds with one stone. Dont hold anything back now to position for the stretch, shoot to take over the top spot. And in the deal try to earn the banner, build full power consistency up; and get away from seattle/everett in the first round if possible.

One thing is for sure, We are going to have a very exciting finish to the season! It will truly come down to the games where we play Spokane like this Saturday night in Spokane! Those are the points we want and need!