Keen's Korner

Monday, February 04, 2008

Broncos Post 7th Straight, Blades Back in Town

The Broncos and Blades continue their summit series tomorrow night - their 4th meeting in eight nights!

It's been quite the run; there is a definite buzz in the community. I picked up some off-sale over the weekend at the new Buffalo Brew Pub and it was the rockstar treatment from for the Super Bowl game and received the rockstar treatment from a couple of the owners who were entertaining guests.

"How bout the Broncos!" or "This is unbelievable!" was their take on the recent success which has the Broncos in the midst of their longest winning streak since 2000. BTW, the new Buffalo Brew Pub on 1st avenue looks awesome. Go check them out this week for yourself. We thank the Brew Pub for being one of our sponsors for Broncos hockey on the Eagle 94.1 FM.

-------------

Weekend thoughts........

* Mark Guggenberger is becoming one of my favorites. His numbers as a Bronco look pretty good so far in three starts. W-L 3-0, Save % .966, GAA 1.50, SH 2 . The colorful personality was even caught waving to a some Blades cheerleaders in the stands during the third period radio time-out.

"I was disapointed, they didn't wave back," is what Guggenberger told Blades colorman Dave Thomas during an interview in their live post-game show.

** What was with Ryley Grantham and Frazier Mclaren in the warm-up prior to the Broncos / Warriors game Friday night? Both summoned the Bronco waterboys for some gatorade and water from the Broncos bench. It was clearly an intimidation ploy from the on-set. The bit has been done fellas, how about a little creativity?

Mclaren then proceeded to run Broncos defenseman Mike Wilson from behind in the opening minute drawing a boarding major and game misconduct. Mclaren was suspended for Saturday's game vs Brandon and may receive more games pending a league review today.

He's been nothing short of a sideshow in the three meetings against the Broncos this season. He's hurting his team.

** We should see Matt Tassone tomorrow night as the Broncos host the Blades. Tassone has missed the last three games due to illness. Hopefully he can get a practice in today and get back on the ice as the reigning Boston Pizza Fans Choice Player of the Week.

** Have you heard Broncos Assistant Coach Tim Kehler in our post-game Coaches Show yet? It's worth a listen.

** Can the Broncos consider themselves back in the race for an East division title? The gap is down to only six points after a pair of Broncos wins has puncuated with a pair of Pats losses - both to teams well out of the playoff picture in Red Deer and Saskatoon. The Pats and Warriors get set for a weekend war in their home and home set Friday/Saturday.

** Apparently the Swift Current Indians Field of Dreams Sportsmans Dinner was the best one in it's short four year history. Guest speakers Dennis Hull and Matt Dominguez had the sold out crowd in stitches all night long. Great job by the organizers once again. I was in Saskatoon and missed it but M.C. Ryan Switzer gave me the lowdown on the event...

** Is there a better M.C. out there than Switzer for an event like this? Not likely.

** I see that Terry Bradshaw is the latest sportscaster to throw out an F-bomb during a live television event. I didn't see it live but it's all over YouTube. It came in the Fox pre-game show leading up to the SuperBowl in some friendly ribbing with co-host Howie Long. In 10 years of being on the air I've had one slip-up. The "S" word when one of our operators missed an edit in a taped NHL draft report out of Vancouver. Not blaming him though... you should assume everything is live. I didn't, and the report ran across the network.

Radio people often get together and have huge laughs over on-air slip-ups they've heard or been a part of over the years. There are some great stories out there....

Have a great week,

jon