Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mucha Vents Frustration

I remember the '98 cup series in Spokane. Portland was a fantastic team (Marian Hossa anyone? There are other NHLers but I can't think of them right now).

They drew a record-setting attendance for the year, something like 320,000. I remember seeing the team at the airport as they were flying back to Portland, their fans all over and you could just feel the elation. Where have those fans gone?

Every organization has rough stretches where your team is in the tank for 2, maybe 3 seasons in a row. Any more than that and the front office needs an overhaul, there simply is no excuse for being so bad that long in this league. I guess we'll see next season.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkGaetzFan
    I remember the '98 cup series in Spokane. Portland was a fantastic team (Marian Hossa anyone? There are other NHLers but I can't think of them right now).

They drew a record-setting attendance for the year, something like 320,000. I remember seeing the team at the airport as they were flying back to Portland, their fans all over and you could just feel the elation. Where have those fans gone?

Every organization has rough stretches where your team is in the tank for 2, maybe 3 seasons in a row. Any more than that and the front office needs an overhaul, there simply is no excuse for being so bad that long in this league. I guess we'll see next season.
    It's incredible how many players Portland has sent to the NHL over the years. Hossa, Morrow, Ference, Deadmarsh, Forbes, Scatchard, Isbister, Zednik, more recently Dubinsky and Coburn and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. It's a bummer Portland is in this situation, despite the Tri-City rivalry, I always appreciated the Winter Hawk/Chiefs games more. Far and away the most enjoyable playoff series in Spokane history came when they faced off against Portland.

As for the fans, they're still there, but it's hard to support a team in their current state. Portland was awful last year and they've actually taken a step backwards this season. The rumors have run rampant about the poor management and when owners don't care, then why should the fans? It really is sad, but if the Hawks bring some stability into the front office, the wins will follow and the fans will come back. Portland got over 8,000 on Saturday against Seattle, and I thought that was extremely impressive given the current situation in PDX. Bottom line is despite the struggles, Portland fans love their Winter Hawks. Hopefully they get things fixed soon.

Sorcere Guest

The 98 Western Conference finals was one of my fondest memories. The Chiefs were going to the Cup Tournament regardless of the outcome yet they were hungry to show that they deserved to be there as well. The series went down to the 7th game in a nail biter in Portland. After that series, all the pieces were in place and we steamrolled the Brandon Wheat Kings for the WHL championship in a 4 game sweep.

Over the years we have sent our fair share of Winter Hawks to the NHL, I hope we continue to develop young talent into professionals. During the off-season the fans talk and share any and all pertinent information with each other, I'm sure we will be hammering on what changes are we making to make our team competitive again. I look forward to a much improved season next year.

GO HAWKS!

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongChiefsFan
    As for the fans, they're still there, but it's hard to support a team in their current state. Portland was awful last year and they've actually taken a step backwards this season. The rumors have run rampant about the poor management and when owners don't care, then why should the fans?
    Good point. 8,000 is excellent considering their record. I suppose I just have a hard time not going to any games, even when the Chiefs are in the dumps.

Growing up, my favorite NHL'er was Cam Neely. Another Portland product. Gotta love the power forwards.

A few weeks ago the news in regards to their management was a hot topic. Now that someone has stepped in and said things would be dealt with we haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if they are working on making those changes? I have a lot of respect for those boys. No matter what their record they suit up, hit the ice and play hard. I just cannot imagine what it takes out of them to do that. Those young men have some serious character on their sides. I hope Mucha hangs in there and I hope next year he has those same kids in front of him and that this time they have the help that they need from management to get the job done. Out of all of the fans that I have talked to at different games not one time have I had a problem, or seen a problem brewing, with a Hawks fan. They have all been great and I hope next year is a whole lot better for them.

Well said Rebelchild, these kids didn't deserve to deal with all the off-ice incompetence. Too bad that there isn't a way to weed out those potential owners who only see a Junior hockey team as a diversity in their investment portofolios.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzerelli
    Well said Rebelchild, these kids didn't deserve to deal with all the off-ice incompetence. Too bad that there isn't a way to weed out those potential owners who only see a Junior hockey team as a diversity in their investment portofolios.
    well the WHL has stepped in now and has a pretty big say in how things are run. Thank God!

Ray Ferraro always talks about his time in Portland and loved it and is sad to see it sink to where it has.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18