Thread: Blades 2 @ Broncos 5

Default Blades 2 @ Broncos 5

Well, they just keep on winning. Codey Eakin scored two goals, Dale Weise, Levi Nelson, and Zack Smith added singles as the Broncos knocked off the Blades 5-2 for their 8th straight victory.

A few points to ponder:

-The Broncos are rolling. Even allowing those two goals in the first to relinquish the lead for a few minutes, the Broncos found a way to shake it off and come back. Good teams find a way.

-Codey Eakin is an abseloute SENSATION!!! This kid has it all...for lack of a better term, he is SICK! lol How about his effort throughout the game and that shorthanded goal??! Generally throughout this winning streak, Eakin's line with Wudrick and Dowling has been phenominal, but Codey is just something to watch. WOWEEE!!

-Our big guys were in it once again tonight...Dale Weise was rolling again, and although his goal was like watching Happy Gilmore's golf ball roll into the hole off the windmill, a goal is a goal. haha You have to be good to be lucky and vice versa. I liked the way he powered the puck to the net shorthanded early in the game...that was Dale at his best. Levi Nelson has been very effective lately. He's doing the small things right, and handling the puck very well. Levi is bringing it. Erik Felde did a great job filling in on the back end. He switched from his forward position again, and the transition once again went smoothly. Felds looked sharp and speedy. Our captain was good too, scoring a goal and more....the older guys put forth a good effort.

-Defense tonight deserves some credit. Lots of great penalty killing...Eric Doyle played very well, and so did Bretton Stamler Joel Rogers in the absence of a few steady defensemen from our line-up. In fact, Rogers almost had his first WHL goal, ringing one off the crossbar in the third. For the most part, the Blades were held at bay. The exception was the goal by Derek Hulak where a mistake saw them going up ice on a 2 on 1. Their second goal was a fluke. A credit to Yonks as well for his play...he stayed focused.

-the Broncos are pretty injured right now. Hopefully the three days until they hit the road serve as a good recovery period.

-the Blades have lost four games to the Broncos in eight days now. Granted, the Blades were missing Coach/GM Molleken for two of those games, but in my opinion, the only time they looked even "pretty good" is when they played Swift at home the second of those four games. Otherwise, they look like a typical rebuilding team with one clutch player....Gillies. And Gillies cost them the game here in Swift Current last Wednesday with a dumb penalty. It's safe to say they have a lot of work to do to rebuild. The wrath of junior hockey....not unlike any other team every so and so many years. On the other hand, I love watching or being around matchups with the Blades involved. The Blades seem to be very professional. They come in here, play their game, and leave for the most part. Seldom do you see any shananigans with Saskatoon in town. They take losses well. In other words, the matchup seems to be lacking rivalry. That's good for some and bad for others. But personally, I don't mind that situation. I'm fine with it. And again, it's worth bringing up how I've been treated when visiting Saskatoon...their fans are great. And I personally want to say thankyou for that to any Saskatoon fan who may be reading this.

EXTRAS:

-pretty decent crowd for a Tuesday night at 1845.

-it must feel REALLY GREAT to win eight in a row.

-Swift Current is no doubt challenging for the division title once again. They are now out by only four points.

-the ice looked amazing tonight....perhaps some extra water added?

-I cannot wait to head to Red Deer this Friday!! THREE more sleeps! I abseloutely love trips to central Wild Rose Country...it's always a blast.

-hopefully the Broncos bring their game to both Red Deer and Calgary. Confidence is EXTREMELY high right now.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!
    Last edited by Big Ern; 02-05-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Highlight of the night was watching Guggenberger jawing with Holtby in the third from the bench. Loved the applause after Eakins goal.
    This kid just has one of those "fun" personalities.

Eakin was phenomenal again. I said it before and I'll say it again, broncos future looks pretty darn good with Eakin, Dowling and Roger just to name a few. I believe Greyeyes will develope well with more experience.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Default solid win

Yes Eakin was great once again, great to see Rogers get some minutes and gain some confidence. Can't help but feel like we got lucky on the goal after Durand was whistled for hooking, it sure looked like Eakin stepped on the pucked and wiped out on his own. i think Durand agreed.

Come on Big Ern spare us your thoughts on the ice conditions. If all it took to have good ice was to add a little water, there would be a lot more quality ice surfaces around the planet. Leave the speculation on ice conditions up to the experts calling the game from their perch high above the action. haha!

Default Ice...

Quote Originally Posted by stick boy
    Yes Eakin was great once again, great to see Rogers get some minutes and gain some confidence. Can't help but feel like we got lucky on the goal after Durand was whistled for hooking, it sure looked like Eakin stepped on the pucked and wiped out on his own. i think Durand agreed.

Come on Big Ern spare us your thoughts on the ice conditions. If all it took to have good ice was to add a little water, there would be a lot more quality ice surfaces around the planet. Leave the speculation on ice conditions up to the experts calling the game from their perch high above the action. haha!
    Yes, it's far beyond me, but I swear it looked a lot faster last night than it did at the Friday game. And you're right...it's just speculation.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ointhecreek
    Eakin was phenomenal again. I said it before and I'll say it again, broncos future looks pretty darn good with Eakin, Dowling and Roger just to name a few. I believe Greyeyes will develope well with more experience.
    Eakin was awesome again, a lot of that also comes from the way Wudrick has upped his game as well. That whole line works well together. I really like the way Wudrick has played lately.
    "Jolly" Rogers just gets better every game. The future does look good.
    Always Remembered

Default Broncos Win 8th In A Row

Last updated at 11:06 AM on 06/02/08

Broncos win eighth in a row
    The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos overcame injury and illness to stretch their season-high winning streak to eight games with a 5-2 win over the visiting Saskatoon Blades on Tuesday night.

16-year-old forward Cody Eakin opened the scoring 41 second into the games with his eighth goal of the season and closed it with a third period shorthanded goal.

Levi Nelson, Zack Smith, and Dale Weise each added singles in the Broncos fourth victory over the Blades in eight days.

Saskatoon replied with goals from Derek Hulak and Curtis Hamilton,

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 25 of 27 shots to post his 24th win of the season.

Blades goaltendcr Braden Holtby turned aside 35 of 40 shots in the loss to drop his record to 15-27-2-2.

Swift Current improved their record to 31-20-0-5 and pulled even with the Moose Jaw Warriors for fourth place in the Eastern Conference, while Saskatoon holds down tenth in the Conference after falling to 18-32-3-2.

For complete details and post-game comments from Dale Weise and Joel Rogers please see the Feb. 7th edition of the Southwest Booster.
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Default Recaps

Its great to get recaps on the games. I couldn't make last nights game so its great to come here and get the recaps. Thanks.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED