Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle In The East Division

Default Battle In The East Division

When you look up and down the east division standing there are 4 teams all in a playoff positon (Regina, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Swift Current). All teams at the current moment are all in a realistic position to claim the East Divison title and probably resulting in second place in the conference. Before I go on further, I am open to your opinions, it's just what I mention is in the end, just my opinion.

For me personally, I follow the Broncos and try my best to keep up with the team and developments and such. Each of the four teams mentioned, like I said earlier, are all in a position that either could grab the east title but only one team can. Who will that be (realisticly and unbiased)? When looking at each team specifically(goaltending, defense, forwards, special teams, and overall team makeup), there are strengths and weaknesses of course, like all teams. Considering these four teams only, I am wondering what their strengths are, weaknesses, and why they will or why they won't capture the east division crown. I've pondered this question for a while, I have my thoughts but I'm curious what others think. Maybe this thread needs to be on the league section perhaps I'm not sure.

I am a huge Broncos fan but I've been able to catch several Regina games and have a general opinion. Of the four teams, I think Rowat may be the best goaltender of the group but not by much (especially as of late in the Pats little slump they are in). I think their true strenght is on defense with guys like Teuburt, Bender, Pyett, Jackson, and Barley. You have guys like Pyett, Jackson, and Bartley that are strong on the PP and moving the puck as well as steady stay at home dmen in Teubert and Bender (matching up against teams top lines come playoffs perhsps?). The Pats forwards have a strong element of veteran leadership with guys like Watt, Doucett, McAgnus, Krause, Elder. The strenght up front is the Eberle/Krause/McAgnus line. I think come playoffs if teams key on, and they probably will, that line especially Eberle then that takes away a key component in gaining much offense. Their PP and PK have been close to the top but of all four teams considered, each have a pretty solid PP and PK. Overall, after the deadline Regina did get added leadership which is great come playoofs but I strongly believe if teams key on Eberle and that top line, then Regina will be lacking in the goal scoring area.

I don't know too terribly much about Brandon but I do know they have a pretty potetant forward group. I won't make comments on their defense because I don't know much about their players. I do recall they have two solid lines and can score with the best of them. Their goaltending, from what I can remember, were hoping to be addressed come the deadline but not much happened in this area. The biggest thing I worry about is their overall offensive capabilities.

Moose Jaw has two solid lines in Bast's line and Riley H's line. Each consists of size and strong offensive punch. I do recall MJ go Ellerby and Wishurt which helps with their defensive core alot. Overall though, Mj is a big team but not a strong skating team which could bite them in the butt especially against faster teams like Swifty for example. Joey P in my opinion is very up and down. If he can become consistent then MJ could make some noise.

Now for Swifty. I'm going to try and not be biased. State my facts and that. I've been following the Broncos for as long as I can remember. This year is special especially now after the deadline. A pretty solid (not stellar but solid) goaltending tandum in Yonkman and Guggenberger (something like that), definite upgrade on d with the additions of Stemllar and Dudas, great depth at forward and great overall team speed. With the additions of Stemlar and Dudus it they added elements of grit, leadership, and solid defensive/offensive instincs. I don't believe we have the best defense of the four teams but those two defently were an upgrade. Our strength is our depth at forward and overall team speed. Wudrick/Eakin/Dowling AND Tassone/Nelson/Dansereau AND Felde/Smith/Weise make up a great three line combination that the coaching staff can put uo in all situations against any line I think. The fourth line is pretty good too in Dalecky/Steiler/Hoban.

I am a broncos fan and I do feel the Broncos have a solid chance to get the east title but when push comes to shove ladies and gentle, all four teams are pretty damn good and who ever finishes first will be a good choice regardless.

Starting goaltending Edge to Regina, then Swift, Moose Jaw, then Brandon.
    1-2 punch in Net Edge to Swift, Regina, Brandon, Moose Jaw.
    Offensive D- Regina, Swift, Moose Jaw, Brandon
    Defensive D-Moose Jaw, Swift, Brandon, Regina

Top Line-Brandon, Regina, Swift, Moose Jaw
    2nd Line-Moose Jaw-Swift-Brandon-Regina
    Third Line- Swift-Brandon-Regina-Moose Jaw
    Forth Line-Brandon-Swift-Moose Jaw-Regina

Speed-Swift-Brandon-Regina-Moose Jaw

Tougness-Moose Jaw-Regina-Brandon-Swift

PP-Regina-Brandon-Swift-Moose Jaw

PK-Moose Jaw-Swift-Brandon-Regina

Coaching-Brandon-Regina-Swift-Moose Jaw

This is the way I would break it down IMO. Going into the playoffs You have to rely on Third and forth line scoring that is where the Broncos may have the edge the way Wudrick, Eakin and Dowling are playing we can roll 4 pretty offensive lines unlike years past when we had a Top heavy line a OK line then ......well really nothing after that. We have 2 top end lines a third line that is dominant right now and a forth that can handle their own. Our D has sure tightened up with Stamler and Dudas. We have 2 really offensive Dmen, 3 Stay at home Dmen and Dudas who is both.
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

Goaltending Edge to Regina, MJ, SC, Brandon.
    Defence Regina, MJ, Bdn, SC
    Forwards SC, Regina, Bdn, MJ
    Speed-Swift-Brandon-Regina-Moose Jaw
    Tougness-Moose Jaw-Regina-Brandon-Swift
    Experience Regina-MJ-SC-Brandon
    PP-Regina-Swift-Brandon-Moose Jaw
    PK-Moose Jaw-Swift-Brandon-Regina
    Coaching-Brandon-MJ-Swift-Regina

Here's my take on the division, I expect it to end up Regina, MJ, SC, Bdn. I just hope we don't play Calgary in the first round......
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Alot of this will come down to the schedule too.

For example i don't know if ppl have picked up on this. But the last weekend of season sees all 8 playoff teams in home and home action.
    SC vs MJ
    REG vs BRN
    Koo vs CAL
    MH vs LET

If thing stay this tight that could be a factor as well.

I think you can analyse the hell out of this but there are way too many intangibles. The home and home between MJ and Regina this weekend is huge for the Broncos. WE need a sweep by MJ as we have four games remaining against them and none against Regina.

The Broncos remaining 16 games:

- 5 Games agaisnt Eastern Division Playoff Teams
    (3 @ home against MJ, 1 away at MJ)
    (1 @ home agaisnt Brandon)
    - 2 Games against Eastern Division Non-Playoff Teams
    (1 game away at Prince Albert)
    (1 game away at Saskatoon)
    - In total leaving 7 of the remaining 16 games against teams in our own division.

- 6 Games against Central Division Playoff Teams
    (1 game away at Lethbridge)
    (1 game @ home against Calgary, I game away at Calgary)
    (1 game @ home against Kootney, 1 game away at Kootney)
    (1 game @ home against Medicine Hat)
    - 1 Game against Central Division Non-Playoff Teams
    (1 game away at Red Deer)
    - In total leaving 7 games of the remaining 16 games against teams in the central division

- No games remaining against the US Divison but 2 games remaining agains the BC Division
    (1 @ home against Kamloops)
    !1 @ home against Chilliwack)

Grand Total, we have 9 home games and 7 Road Games.
    (3 games against non playoff teams).

It is nice that we are playing our two remaining games against Calgary pretty soon seeing our team is on a hot streak as of late and we'll need to be at our best to compete with Calgary which I think we can and will.

Default What happened to Regina

10 days ago I would have bet the farm on Regina winning the East and finishing second behind Calgary. Now we are ahead of them and have games in hand. (The East gets second seed in first round only) Anyone know if there is some internal problem with the chemistry or what? Also Swift is the hottest team. Do they have a realistic chance at first in the East?

All the so called experts are giving the Hitmen first pretty much hands down. We however have 2 games in hand and play them twice more also. Win those four and we are only """"1 point back""""". We are 3-1 vs them this year and match up well so the 2 games with them are very realisitcally within our reach.

Who in the Central do you guys fear the most? Even though Regina has slid, they beat us 2-1 after the trades and looked great so I don't want to meet them. Big and tuff.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 02-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Calgary are the best team I've seen in the dub this year, hands down. Don't want to play them first round. Don't want to play Lethbridge b/c they seem to match up well against us, same with med Hat. Not bothered by anyone else, I think they would be decent, close series against the likes of SC, MJ. Koot I think we have a handle on, regina, we'd be huge underdogs, but I'd like the chance to beat that big talking team!!!!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Swift is the best team i have seen in the east div this season by far, there speed is insane. I can't believe Felde doesn't ave more goals the guy is nuts. They have a remarkable transition game and they draw alot of penalties with there speed, im calling Swift to go far in the playoffs.

The great thing for us, RD, PA, MH and Saskatoon is that MJ, Regina and SC have decided to go for it all this year, leaving us 4 to look strong the next 2 seasons!! Going to be a hugely entertaining playoff in the Eastern Conference this year!!