Thread: Broncos 2 @ Hitmen 0

Default Broncos 2 @ Hitmen 0

That drive home was awesome!

I thought about that win all the way home...and in the end, one line stuck out...another cliche: "When you get a break, run with it." That's exactly what the Broncos did tonight.

A few notes on the game:

-with FIVE regulars out of the line-up, the Broncos knocked off the top team in the Eastern conference for their second shutout this weekend, and tenth win in a row. Kudos.

-this game featured a playoff atmosphere. Both teams seemed to hate each other from the get-go, and there were some wicked hits dished out early. It was fantastic!

-Hitmen fans were and probably still are....INCENSED at the officiating tonight. Calgary got a goal waved off early in the game. The goal looked to be legit on the video board, but apparently the whistle had blown before it went in, or Yonkman got interfered with as it went in. I will keep my opinion out of this one. Take a look at the video and decide for yourself. What I do know is, the Broncos took the break they got there (if in your opinion it WAS a goal) and ran with it. Then came the officiating in the second period. Calgary got eight consecutive penalties called against them...and that included two 5 on 3 disadvantages. I will go out on a limb and say that for sure two of the calls were crappy, especially the call on Dan Spence for delay of game. There is no way he should have been forced to play that puck. However, some of the Hitmen responded by coming completely un-glued in that situation. One of Calgary's veteran players went into their offensive zone on the kill, and cross-checked Bretton Stamler directly in the face. Good teams have to find a way to overcome frustration, even when it seems like they couldn't BUY a break. That particular player didn't show that at all with the move he made. On the other side, you knew it would sort of even out sometime. (as usual) Towards the end of the game, it was the Broncos who seemingly ran into some penalty trouble. But they did a great job to stymie Calgary, block their lanes, never let up, and as a result, won the game. In the end, it still goes down in the book as a 2-0 Swift Current win.

-is there concern with the PP? 0 for 9 tonight??!! Dan Spence was awesome, and the Hitmen PK works great too. I would not get worried just yet.

-the guys played very well defensively. I really like the way Erik Felde can just move back to defense and play the role like he's always had it. Eric Doyle had a pretty solid game too....he played extremely well in his own zone with the puck, earning a star tonight in his hometown. Bretton Stamler was very solid as usual. And how about Yonks? He got the goose egg, and not without a big effort. He was very solid, stopping the high-powered Hitmen offense. So yes...defense was good tonight.

-Talylor Vause had a fantastic game as well. The youngster had a chance or two, but was never able to capitalize. Otherwise, he played very VERY well for a call-up.

-as far as offense goes, the winning goal was a simple one. The shot was redirected by Keegan Dansereau and slowly slid into the net through Dan Spence. Obviously, he couldn't see it coming. But that's what happens sometimes when guys just get the puck on goal. There were some great efforts showcased out there by our forwards..Levi Nelson was very effective. He played his role well again. It must feel good to do that in his hometown. David Steiler had a very good game, as did Zack Smith, Justin Dowling, and Geordie Wudrick. Even though they didn't score on nine PP chances, IMO they played well tonight...look at the Hitmen defense!!

This Wednesday's game should be a beauty. These two teams definitely do not like each other.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

POINTS TO PONDER:

-don't look at the WHL.CA game summary today...it's out by a country mile, especially on that first goal...and some of the penalties.

-the news today.....the possibility of Dale Weise being out 4-7 weeks with a shoulder problem was not sweet. It's not yet official. I talked to Dale and he thought that was the case. However, let's keep our fingers crossed......

-even with that news, the guys hung in and won the game. Hopefully we will have some other guys back from sickness or injury this Wednesday. Even three regulars out instead of five would be nice.

-the Broncos have a whole SLUG of Calgarian players...five I do believe. Levi Nelson, Ryan Molle, Mike Brown, Eric Doyle, and Justin Dowling (Cochrane AB.) Add Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth to the equation, and you have six Calgarians!! Excuse me if I missed any.

-great win today.

-I had an abseloutely AWESOME weekend in Red Deer again. There's some great people in this world, and I'm lucky to know a few of them...namely the Postmas in Red Deer.

-I had a a chance to meet some of Brad Hoban's family, who made the trip to Alberta for the weekend from Nanaimo BC. It's great to meet new people while following hockey. That's part of what makes it a lot of fun.

-I've spent quite a bit of time in Red Deer now, and have come to a conclusion which I strongly believe in: With a population of just under 90,000 Red Deer is Alberta's best-kept secret. I love the place.

-it costs $10 to park at Pengrowth Saddledome. Steep.

-read Ryan Switzer's blog. www.ryanswitzer.blogspot.com He should be a comedian. I swear he has the quickest wit of any guy I've ever known on the airwaves, and when it comes to outright coming up with funny statements, I think he's better than Conan O'Brien.

Have a great Monday!
    Last edited by Big Ern; 02-11-2008 at 01:03 AM.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!