Thread: 20 questions with Johnny Lazo

Default 20 questions with Johnny Lazo

Tri City Americans winger Johnny Lazo took some time out if his busy hockey schedule to sit down and share some of his thoughts with WHLFANS.CA. We would like to thank Johnny and the Americans for allowing us the privelage of getting to know him.

1. Johnny, you have been wowing the fans all year long with your quick wheels and hot hands. What has been your recipe for success?

My speed and work ethic are the assets that got me to this level in the first place so I try my best to continue doing those things that make me successful. It also helps a lot having a couple highly skilled, veteran linemates. They make my job a lot easier.

2.The team seems to have just a ton of chemistry out on the ice. Doesthis chemistry follow you guys off the ice as well? Are you a prettytight knit group?

Our chemistry definitely follows us off the ice. This has got to be one of the closest teams I’ve ever been on. We always hang out together outside the rink whether its going to a movie, walking around the mall or playing a round of golf, chances are if you see us in public, we’ll be with a few guys from the team.

3.What was one of the best off ice team building things that you have done where you just had a blast?

We went paintballing at the start of the season which was awesome, but I also had a good time on halloween. We all got dressed up in costumes and went to a movie, Saw IV. We got some pretty priceless looks from the people in the theatre. 23 guys dressed up in goofy costumes is quite a spectacle.

4. What has been your impression of hockey in the Tri Cities so far? Are the U.S. barns as loud as you were expecting?

Hockey in the Tri-Cities has been incredible so far. Our fans are great. The U.S. barns took me by surprise. Our season opener against everett this year was crazy. The atmosphere there was unreal and even a little overwhelming. Spokane is usually pretty wild and the Toyota Center is always great.

5.The fans in the Tri Cities have been waiting on a division bannerfor 20 years now. Is this the year?

I definitely think so. We’ve got everything going for us it seems. Our veteran players are leading the way. We’ve got depth at forward, solid defencemen, and one of the best goalies in the league. Everybody knows their role and relishes their opportunity.

6.What kinds of things do you enjoy away from the game? Do you haveanyhobbies?

I like playing golf and baseball as much as I can. I also love to skateboard and snowboard, but I try to limit my time doing those activities incase of an injury. I get banged up enough on the ice.

7.WHL locker rooms and bus trips are notorious for pranks and gags.What are a few of the best pranks you've seen and who is the best pranksteron the team?

I actually got pranked pretty good this year. One time on the road, Pro and Reddick called my hotel room pretending to be a reporter from the local newspaper wanting to do an interview with me. They had me going for a few minutes with this joke until I finally caught on. Rookie mistake on my part. I think it’s a toss up between TJ, Chet, Hoff and Pro for the biggest jokester on the team. They all crack me up.

8.Other than the Toyota Center of course, what is your favorite barntoplay in on the road and what makes it unique?

Spokane is always fun to play in with it’s hostile atmosphere. Brandon is close to home so I’m looking forward to that next year. Vancouver and Kelowna are also fun because I have family out there.

9.Are you a superstitious guy at all? Do you have any game day ritualsthat are an absolute must?

I like to think of them as habits rather than superstitions. I try to keep my gameday routine pretty consistent. I usually try to sneak in an afternoon nap, and warm up for the game the same way, but I always have to put my left skate on before my right.

10.What person has inspired you the most in the game of hockey?

My assistant coach last year in Winnipeg is my biggest inspiration. His name was Todd Davison. He used to play for the Regina Pats but his career was cut short when he was diagnosed with cancer. He battled the cancer for 3 years, but sadly passed away in december of 2006 at the age of 20. He taught me so much about the game in the short time I knew him. But the most important thing he taught me was not to take anything for granted. He told me to play every shift like it could be my last so I don’t have any regrets. I think that’s the best advice I’ve ever received.

11.Other than the obvious,playing pro hockey, what types of career paths do you have interest in for the future?

Anything in athletic therapy or physiotherapy would be great. I also wouldn’t mind being a gym teacher. That seems like a pretty fun job.

12.Can you give me a few examples that stick out in your mind ashighlights of your WHL career so far?

My first career goal in Chilliwack was something I’ll never forget. Our home opener against spokane was crazy too. The building erupted when I scored on a breakaway. When I scored the overtime winning goal at home against Chilliwack was an awesome feeling as well.

13.Would you rather set up a pretty goal or poke in an ugly one? Whatsthe prettiest goal you've seen so far this year?

Someone once told me, “they don’t ask how…they ask how many” so I would have to say I’d rather poke in an ugly one. I personally think Kruise Reddick’s goal against Chilliwack was unbelievable. He undressed their defenceman and deked out their goalie to win us the game with only a couple minutes remaining in regulation.

14. Your younger brother Robby is currently on the Americans protected list. Does the prospect of having your brother as a teammate excite you?

Absolutely. I’ve never played on a team with Robby before, but when we play together at the outdoor rinks in Winnipeg , we’re a pretty lethal duo. My 2 brothers and I are really close and we have a good time together, so to have him out here with me would be a lot of fun.

15. What advice would you give a youngster playing youth hockey to helpthem reach their goals and dreams?

It’s important to work hard, but playing hockey is ultimately about having a fun, especially at a young age.

16.. I'm going to give you a quote, please give me what your interpretaion of that quote. "It's not about the name bar on the back, it's about the logo on the front".

Team success is far more important than individual success. Usually when team success is achieved, personal success is sure to follow.

17. Whats in your ipod right now? Anything special to help get you upfor a game?

I listen to almost everything. I think I have nearly 900 songs on my ipod. I’m mostly into hip-hop/rap, but I also love country. When it comes to getting pumped for a game it’s gotta be rock. Rise Against and Disturbed are pretty good for that.

18. Everyone knows that there is no such thing as an easy two points in this league. Who do you look forward to seeing on the schedule and who do you kind of dread seeing? Do you prepare for all opponents the same or are there some variations?

Any game against Spokane is exciting. It’s pretty easy to get up for those games. Seattle is a team I don’t really enjoy playing against. They’re tough to play against, and always give us a good game, especially at the Key Arena in Seattle . We try our best to prepare the same for all opponents, but we can’t help getting a little more fired up and focused when we play Spokane , Everett or Vancouver .

19.What are some of your favorite sports teams? NHL,CFL,NFL,MLB...etc.?

I like the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators of the NHL. Gotta go with Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL. But my favorite sports team in any league has to be the Toronto Blue Jays.

20.Lets say you've just helped the Ams win their first Memorial Cuptrophy. Some guys would be yelling "I'm going to Disneyland ." WhatwouldJohnny Lazo's dream vacation be?

It would be a close call between snowboarding somewhere in B.C. or hitting up a nice beach somewhere hot. I think I would go snowboarding though.

Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to us here atwhlfans.ca, is there anything you would like to say to your fans in theTri Cities?

Thanks so much to all our fans. Keep up the support. It means the world to our team, and we’ll do our best to hang a few banners for you guys this season.

Default Great Interview!!

Thanks HAF ......and Thank you Johnny you are a class act!

Buddy

Ams2Fan Guest

Thanks for these! They are a fun read!

He is a great assest to our team aswell! He is exciting to watch play!