Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Dead Yet

Question Closet LEAF Fan?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    Everybody reading this must think we're nuts.
    Nuts, no, but insanely optimistic, yes! You know what TwoBits, the LEAF NATION could use a loyal supporter like you! If I had to guess, I'd say you probably cheered for those horrible HABS, SENS, or FLAMES! Come over to the light, or should I say Blue and white!
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

Default Pride

Quote Originally Posted by the flying moose
    The past few games have showed that anything is possible. With Cyr playing like Cyr again and everyone else stepping up nothing would surprise me about this group right now.
    I wonder how difficult it must be to keep motivated these days? The coaching staff/vets must be doing a good job. It's nice to see that there is still pride to play for. I know for one thing, CYR is no quitter.

Thumbs up Swanson's Pushed the Button!

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/i...710&Itemid=564

Cougars end lengthy losing streak
    (Sports) Sunday, 17 February 2008, 23:24 PST
    JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor
    Related Articles Panago midgets making great strides
    Spruce Kings lose two in Trail but clinch playoff spot
    Bowling with Cougars pretty special
    Giants keep futility streak of Cats alive
    Put the unlucky numbers 7 and 13 to bed.

Replace them with 50, 326, and 1. Today, the 1 might grow to 2.

The Prince George Cougars snapped a seven-game losing streak, and a winless slide of 13 straight on the road, with Saturday’s 5-4 victory over the host Chilliwack Bruins.

The triumph was a tribute to veterans. Real Cyr stopped 38 shots for his 50th win in the WHL -- he’s 9-23-3 in his final season as a Cat -- and Greg Gardner, playing in his 326th regular-season game, had a goal and two assists. With a dozen games to go, Gardner is 10 games back of Chris Falloon’s franchise record of 336 games -- Gardner passed Eric Hunter (323 games) for second all-time when the Cougars lost 4-2 on home ice to the Bruins last Wednesday.

“That was one of Gardner’s best games,” said Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck.

“As a team, we played well. They stormed us early on and we knew they would. I’m proud of our guys, they’ve been great through (the losing streak). There is a difference between losing, and losing in a way where you didn’t compete. For the first couple games after the trade deadline we had games where we lost because we didn’t compete at all, but that hasn’t been the case lately.”

Nick Holden, who had two goals, opened the scoring, but the Cougars bounced back to lead after 20 minutes on goals by Brad Riege and Jordie Deagle -- the latter with his third of the season and first since Oct. 20.

The Cougars also outscored the Bruins 2-1 in the second period, giving up a game-tying marker to Jaden Potter before Parker Stanfield -- he has four goals in as many games -- and Gardner gave the Cats a two-goal lead heading to the third.

Holden made it a one-goal game at 5:43 of the final period. Dana Tyrell’s 23rd of the season restored the cushion at 11:03, an important goal because Randy McNaught scored with 3:57 to play.

Cyr held the fort in the final minutes. He had to be sharp, facing 19 shots in the last period.

“He made key saves -- he stopped Ryan Howse on a penalty shot and Oscar Moller on a breakaway,” said Schoneck, noting the pressure is off Cyr because he knows he’ll be in goal as long as Ian Curtis (shoulder) is out of action.

“Those were big. Other than that, he was just regular Real, made the first save and gave us a chance to win. He knows he’s going to play and I think he’s relaxed. He’s more back to the Real we saw last year on a day-to-day basis, and he’s finally got himself outside of his own head.”

Schoneck is happy to finally see results from the hard work this team, the youngest in the WHL, has been putting in since the trade deadline five weeks ago.

“I’m happy for our guys that they played well and finally got a win for it,” said Schoneck.

“We needed to win a close one. It’s been a tough go recently, sure. I’ve tried to look at it not from my side of things, but from the players’ perspective -- how a player would view (the struggles). We preach a plan, hard work, shoot pucks and stay out of the box, and we’ve been slowly doing that more consistently the last three weeks and hadn’t seen any results.

“It’s only natural to start to question if that’s the right thing to do, but for the players it’s nice to finally see that come through. God bless this group, they’re resilient, and they see the improvement we’re making as a team.”

The Cougars have a chance to increase their one-game winning streak to two today with a rare afternoon contest. The Cats (16-40-1-3) are in Portland for a President’s Day matinee, facing the only WHL club with a worse record.

“We have an opportunity to continue how we played Saturday, and we consider this a very winable game,” said Schoneck, whose team is 1-2 against the Hawks (9-49-1-1) this season.

“I’m sure (Portland) has this date circled as well. I’m sure they’re going to want to come after us, but I like the way our guys are going right now.”

Portland’s last win? Try Jan. 16, a 3-2 shootout victory at CN Centre.

The Cougars, who could wind up with the second-worst record in team history, are still clinging to faint but unrealistic hopes of a playoff berth. With a dozen games to go, Prince George could still catch either Kamloops or Chilliwack, but would have to win every remaining game while one of those teams loses all their games. Kamloops lost twice on the weekend, while the Bruins dropped a 5-0 game in Vancouver on Sunday -- the Giants are 7-0-1-1 in that head-to-head series.

After today’s game, the Cougars’ road trip ends with a Wednesday stop in Seattle. The Cats are home to Edmonton, the first visit of the expansion Oil Kings, on Friday.

n Schoneck had high praise for 15-year-old prospect Greg Fraser, who made his debut with the Cougars in Friday’s loss in Vancouver. The Nanaimo product is playing major midget hockey for the North Island Silvertips, and despite being slight at five-foot-nine and 150 pounds, caught the coach’s eye.

“He was excellent,” said Schoneck.

“I was impressed with his maturity level, but I was also impressed with his positional play. I don’t know if that’s the coaching he’s had or if it’s something he takes pride in, for a young guy he was very good in his own zone. He blocked a shot in the third period, and did a lot of little things most young players don’t do. He also had our first scoring chance of the game, so he looked good in the offensive end.”
    Well TwoBits, "jimmy boy" must have heard you or read your post. He is nothing but pleasant in this article! A good read for sure. Nice job Prince George Citizen/Mr. Swanson.

Default In Your Dreams Buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan
    Nuts, no, but insanely optimistic, yes! You know what TwoBits, the LEAF NATION could use a loyal supporter like you! If I had to guess, I'd say you probably cheered for those horrible HABS, SENS, or FLAMES! Come over to the light, or should I say Blue and white!
    It would have to be a frosty day in hell before that would happen. Besides, my favourite colour is red, so I'll keep cheering for the Cougars and the FLAMES!!! Why don't you have a little loyalty and cheer for a team in the west?

Well TwoBits, "jimmy boy" must have heard you or read your post. He is nothing but pleasant in this article! A good read for sure. Nice job Prince George Citizen/Mr. Swanson
    Oh, don't worry, I'm sure he has a nasty one ready to go.
    For What It's Worth

Default Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    It would have to be a frosty day in hell before that would happen. Besides, my favourite colour is red, so I'll keep cheering for the Cougars and the FLAMES!!! Why don't you have a little loyalty and cheer for a team in the west?
    Oh, don't worry, I'm sure he has a nasty one ready to go.
    Geez, tht's the nastiest I've ever read from you TwoBits! Someone poop in your vector this AM? vci11

sorry to burst your bubble TB -- but you play us three more times...
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dondo
    sorry to burst your bubble TB -- but you play us three more times...
    I was wondering how long it was going to take some Vancouver fan to come rain on our parade.

Heh, I don't think Vancouver is exempt from a little bad luck. If that doesn't work, I think you guys should throw a couple for us and get the Kamloops fans even more excited.

Not sure how much longer we'll be able to ride the playoff run talk. After that, all we'll be able to talk about is being spoilers for other teams' spot in the standings.
    For What It's Worth

yup -- there's a reason we play the games .. if it was just numbers and mathematical equations there would be no reason to actually drop the puck. I expect PG will play us tougher at the CN Centre, but I still think its unlikely that we lose three to PG.

but keep your dreams alive TB -- that's what being a real fan is all about -- good times, bad times and in between times. The probability might be slim but the possibility is always there.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dondo
    but keep your dreams alive TB -- that's what being a real fan is all about -- good times, bad times and in between times. The probability might be slim but the possibility is always there.
    yup. we really need more real fans in PG. it must be really discouraging for the guys to come out to a quarter full arena. win, lose or draw that building should be packed to the rafters every game. people still make comments to me when i tell them im going to a cougars game.

Default Still Alive!!!!

Whahoooooooooo!!!

Good Job Team!

Cyr had another great game, 1st Star vci22 .

Some might say big whup, you beat Portland, but we couldn't take them lightly, they beat us at home.

Was anybody able to listen to the game, I realize not everyone is as lucky as us Saskatchewanians, we have a provincial stat holiday today.

I was totally and completely impressed with Ian Curtis' colour job. This kid is amazingly well spoken for a 17 year old.
    For What It's Worth