Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Running the goalie

Default Tipped Off

True Tipped Off. My "generalizing" gets me in trouble sometimes. I guess the "always" or the "has a habit" statements annoy me. Then of course you throw the word "goons" around a few times. I TRY not to make too many excuses for poor behavior. Sometimes I figure another team has one coming - which doesn't make it right - just throws in what appears to be a universally accepted form of reasoning.

Away from the current subject here - somewhere I read something to the effect that a particular poster thought that this years Tips team was actually a better team because they are no longer playing hockey the Constantine way and have had to actually work for their wins. What do you think about that? I have a tendency to agree with it. I think that if you guys would just leave Beach at home when you come visit Spokane I would enjoy the games against you guys now as much as I do the games we play with TRI. I still don't like Dailey(?) much but he can still come. I do like Vartovnik for some reason.

Ams2Fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelchild

TRI has no one that comes to mind, except for McColm, who will even try to make a stand and he doesn't like to fight!

All the crap about Bruts is beyond irritating! We have a captain that steps in for his team. Either stop whinning or get one of your own! Good grief guys!
    Actually, in the beginning of the year McColm was quoted as saying he hoped to get 20 goals and in 20 fights.

Sorry if you don't like our opinion about Bruton. He may say all the right things, but his actions speak louder than his words. Not only did he break Toll's jaw last year and gave Vey a concussion this year, but there is also a clip on the '06-'07 Highlights DVD of him checking yet another one of our players from behind. For the life of me I can't remember who and the DVD is too long for me to rewatch. I know that doesn't sound very credible, but I'm not making it up. Perhaps some other Tri fan can remember more details about that clip.

Some of the Spoke fans (not you, I'm just saying) have been claiming Pickard is classless and such because of his supposed actions at that game. We could tell those fans a hundred times that Chet is a great guy, a class act and they would still argue their case. For those of us that dislike Bruton, it's the same thing.

DING DING DING DING ... WE HAVE A WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    Hmm....I think most people say Letts couldn;t have been going hard at the net because the hit didn't happen at the net. It happened behind the net where Chet was playing the puck.

Iconcup

I think that there is a lot about these players that we don't know about - much like the article you had I think it was on Pro maybe? - who went to the hospital to visit the girl that had handed out the stars at the end of the game.

As for Chet. My one wish had always been to see Carey display ANY kind of emotion so I really can't complain now that you have a goalie that obviously has a pulse and some figure skating genes too! LOL I think the Chet thing was a little blown out of proportion. I couldn't believe some of the posts I read. From what I could see, and I was close enough to see, Chet (for whatever reason) skated to our end of the ice, around the net and back up to his own. I don't think that Tic even looked at him. He finished taking a drink of his water with no visible side of effects from the "encroachment of Chet". Maybe I don't have enough testoterone to get overly excited over something like that. Not my strongest hormone I guess. LOL

On the other hand, with the clear exception of Beach who I cannot imagine standing up for under ANY circumstances, I really prefer to believe that some of the hits that the players get nailed for are not done to intentionally injure someone. That is not to say that people don't get hurt. Those guys spend three, 20 minute periods bouncing each other off walls, knocking people on the ice and punching them in the mouth - when they aren't actually trying to score! Tell me you are not going to end up with some injuries.

Combine that with the amount of adrenaline that they must have going when they hit that ice and I would think that we are probably lucky that there are not more injuries. I can live with someone not liking Bruts, or anyone else on our team for that matter, and I have no problem reading why. I DO have a problem when they can't let it go and when they put out the "holier-than-thou", "our team would NEVER" vc178 . Yeah - ya would and you have and you probably will again.

Bottom line - we want good hockey games clrkthj We both would love to have a/and or another banner to hang. We all want to win! I hate it when the season is almost over. Has anyone started a countdown yet for next year?

So let's vci22 to the hockey gods and hope they smile on us! Here is to a great, uninjured, rest of the year!
    Last edited by Rebelchild; 02-26-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling - can't spell

Ams2Fan Guest

Well said, Rebelchild.

And I just realized I made a mistake in my last post so before anyone has an aneurysm, thought I don't think it was ever officially announced, Vey did not actually have a concussion, but was indeed injured.

I think there are VERY few instances of intent to injure, however, I think there are A LOT of instances of CFB, boarding, charging and such where the offender should have let up and didn't. In other words, they didn't mean to hurt the guy, but they were committing a penalty and there is always a risk of hurting someone when you do something illegal. That's why it's illegal. And yes, hockey in general is a risky sport, but it makes it even more so when you pull that kind of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ams2Fan
    Actually, in the beginning of the year McColm was quoted as saying he hoped to get 20 goals and in 20 fights.

Sorry if you don't like our opinion about Bruton. He may say all the right things, but his actions speak louder than his words. Not only did he break Toll's jaw last year and gave Vey a concussion this year, but there is also a clip on the '06-'07 Highlights DVD of him checking yet another one of our players from behind. For the life of me I can't remember who and the DVD is too long for me to rewatch. I know that doesn't sound very credible, but I'm not making it up. Perhaps some other Tri fan can remember more details about that clip.

Some of the Spoke fans (not you, I'm just saying) have been claiming Pickard is classless and such because of his supposed actions at that game. We could tell those fans a hundred times that Chet is a great guy, a class act and they would still argue their case. For those of us that dislike Bruton, it's the same thing.
    Don't take my comments the wrong way (because I'm enjoying this conversation hopefully along with everyone else), but I sit VERY close to the Chiefs bench, and I usually hear alot of the chatter that happens throughout the game. With our fourth line (Letts, Kelner, Donaghy) on the bench for the majority of the game, only seeing 2-3 shifts a period, they tend to do alot of heckling. Now, most players ignore them, or simply turn around and smile or wink, but there are the occasional few who simply antagonize them and bring on more insults. Pickard is one of these players, who every time he makes a save seems like he has something to say to these guys. Not to say that Letts was justified by any means in what he did (running the goalie should never be done, kids), but I'm sure that Pickard challenged Letts in some way, shape or form.

And it's also unfair to say that the Ams were not there to send a message after this happened. I wish there were video posted somewhere on it, because I think Reddick (though I'm not sure) was rather quick into Letts' face, but Kelner grabbed his jersey from behind; keeping him away from Letts and drawing himself a roughing penalty. The Ams were there to defend Pickard, but personally I think Pickard may have gotten more done if he had took a swing on Letts or someone else for that matter --- instead he played dead to hopefully draw a longer penalty. If the goalie is upset, the team will be upset.

Also, not to defend Bruton's hit from behind on Vey, since again there is no defending checking from behind...but Vey is a major trash talker as well. I've seen him gloat, scream and showboat just like a bunch of others. In the 2nd period; after the game Saturday was 4-2, he got right in Bruton's grill and was talking smack...to which Bruton gave a death look as if to warn Vey...which only caused Vey to talk more smack.

Let's chalk all of this up to two rival teams battling for the division banner? Both sides have their rights and their wrongs, right?

This whole conversation makes me think back > 10 years ago when the style was much rougher. Any team who remotely bumped the opposing goalie was asking to get run over or have their scorers targeted by the team's 4 line of meatheads. Personally I hope to see more of that style in the future. Can it get any better than having a center who scores 40 goals and has 40 fights?

Quote Originally Posted by LinkGaetzFan
    This whole conversation makes me think back > 10 years ago when the style was much rougher.
    no-touch icing has helped ... I wonder what it would be like to watch two period of hockey back to back with the old icing rules and the old two line pass rules

as far as pickard talking trash to your 4th line i don't see how that works. you say the boys are on the bench yet pickard talks trash to them after a save? does he scream it at the top of his lungs? i can feintly hear it now "HEY LETT'S HOWS THE PINE TREATING YOU? I'VE GOT MORE POINTS THAN YOU DO!!!!!!" really even if a guy is talking trash non-stop it's no reason to take a cheap shot on him. yellow horn talks up a storm, im not sure if you guys notice it or not, but he has the biggest mouth. would it be ok for some 4th line bruiser to lay a dirty hit on him? no way. cote from spokane a few years back also had a rather large mouth but it was still called dirty hockey if someone put him in his place.

as far as tri not having anyone to step up and fight you guys are wrong. mestery has dropped a few times this year and each time he did well. mccolm does decent (gave beach a concussion before the xmas break) and i dunno where you guys think donaghy owns him because honestly the fights ive seen of them 2 are flat out boring. 2 lanky kids jockeying for position. schmidt can throw some good punches as well. also gardner isn't too shabby. toll and plouffe should keep the gloves on though. i've seen them get bloodied one too many times this year.

as far as my views of bruton well it's my opinion and sure i only see him 10 times a year and yeah he wears the wrong uniform for me to like him. however he has shown nothing but lack of class to me. especially for being a captain. if your teams captain leads the team in suspensions that tells you the style your team plays. thats that and you can't argue against it.

Ok so maybe I went a bit overboard on the previous post and your not htat bad of a cheap shot team this year but I do believe that Letts is a Joke! Also you could use a better captain other than one who leads the team im suspensions! The coach should have sent a message to the team that the cheap crap would not be tollerated and stripped him of the "C"! We don't have any enforcers so congrats on beating up on McColm and Pickard! If we had Booggard it would not have happend and if it did then Letts would have been singing a different tune when it was over and done with. vci33