Thread: Pats Honour Builders Friday Night

Default Pats Honour Builders Friday Night

http://reginapats.com/News/194/

PATS HONOUR BUILDERS; FRIDAY NIGHT

REGINA, SK – In recognition of the 90th Anniversary of the Regina Pats we will honour three men who have been significant contributors and builders of the Pats franchise in past years. Friday night when the Chilliwack Bruins are in town, Lorne Davis, Graham Tuer and Bob Turner will have their names raised to the rafters of the Brandt Centre as the first inductees in the Builders category,. A banner with their names will hang beside the seven retired numbers of former Pat players
    Clark Gillies, Bill Hicke, Brad Hornung, Ed Staniowski, Dennis Sobchuk and Doug Wickenheiser.

LORNE DAVIS was an icon in the Regina hockey community. He played for the Regina Pats from 1947 to 1950, and was the Head Coach and General Manager from 1976 to 1978. He also spent 14 years playing professional hockey for numerous teams including the Montreal Canadians, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins of the NHL and the Buffalo Bisons, Hershey Bears and Providence Reds of the AHL. Davis, who passed away on December 20th of this past year, had spent the last 28 years scouting for the Edmonton Oilers.

GRAHAM TUER has devoted his life to the sport of hockey in Regina. The former Director of Player of Personnel and Assistant General Manager of Regina Pats, also spent time helping with the Regina Pats Canadians AAA midget team along with numerous years involved in the Western Hockey League as a scout.

BOB TURNER played for your Regina Pats for three seasons, before moving on to the National Hockey League. He won five Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadians in the late 1950’s and later returned to Regina, coaching your Pats for 4 years, including 1974, when they captured the Memorial Cup Championship.

“This is an honour that is long overdue for these men who have contributed so much to both the Regina Pats and the hockey world in general” – commented Pats General Manager Brent Parker. “There have been so many people who have paved the way for those of us who are currently carrying the Pats torch and we are truly honoured that we are a small part of the legacy that Lorne, Graham and Bob have created. Our plan is to add three more names again next year in our attempt to pay proper respect to the people who have laid the foundation of this franchise” Parker continued.

For Tickets to Friday night’s game and all other Pats games visit reginapats.com or by calling the Ticketmaster box office at 543-7800.

- 30 -

Tuer doesn't like to toot his own horn

Tuer doesn't like to toot his own horn

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
    Published: Friday, February 29, 2008

The casual hockey fan might not know Graham Tuer. He likes it that way.

Tuer would prefer that the spotlight illuminate other people. This understated, under-rated Reginan is far more comfortable dispensing accolades than receiving them (see: Austin, Kent).

So good luck, Graham Tuer, as you deal with the events of this evening.

The WHL's Regina Pats are preparing to honour three of their key builders -- Tuer, Lorne Davis and Bob Turner. A banner bearing their good names will be raised to the rafters at the Brandt Centre tonight, when the Pats play host to the Chilliwack Bruins.

"This is going to sound corny, but I'm really humbled that my name will be up there with Lorne Davis and Bob Turner,'' Tuer says. "I look at them as the ultimate.''

Davis, a former Pats player, coach and general manager, was a long-time scout with the NHL's Edmonton Oilers. He died Dec. 20 at age 77.

Turner, who played defence for five Stanley Cup winners with the Montreal Canadiens, coached the Pats to their most-recent Memorial Cup title in the spring of 1974. He died Dec. 7, 2005, at age 71.

"I never would have thought of myself in the same breath as those guys,'' Tuer says. "I just can't believe it. I look at what they've done with awe.''

Turner and Davis had 10 Stanley Cup rings between them. Tuer also has a championship ring -- courtesy of the Kelowna Rockets, for whom he currently scouts.

Tuer also supplied the Pats with talent -- such as his son, Al, who is a former defenceman with the local WHL team. The elder Tuer also scouted for the Pats, for whom he was also the assistant general manager, until resigning early in Brent Parker's regime as GM.

"Graham has been involved in every aspect of hockey in the city -- bantam, midget AAA, the Pats ...,'' Parker says. "His son played for the team. He was in management with the team. He's a very significant contributor to hockey in this area.''

Hence tonight's honour.

"I really appreciate what Brent has done for me,'' Tuer says. "I truly never expected anything like this. It really caught me off guard. When Brent called, I thought he wanted to know about a player in Kamloops or something.

"When he told me about this, there was silence on the end of the line.''

Many people of Tuer's vintage are at the end of the line -- or far past it -- in terms of active involvement with sports.

While reluctant to disclose his age, Tuer is always quick to poke fun at his longevity. When asked how long he has been scouting for Kelowna, he replies: "You're asking an octogenarian to remember something?''

Does that mean he is 80-plus?

"Heavens, no,'' he says with a chuckle. "I'm 37.''

Typical Graham Tuer ...

I have never had a conversation of any duration with this fine man without laughing at one of his wisecracks -- many of which are self-deprecating.

At the hockey rink, Tuer is a magnetic presence, even though he is the last guy who would ever proclaim "I'm here!'' or impose himself upon someone.

The opposite is true.

People are automatically drawn to Tuer because he makes everyone feel good, not to mention important.

Last season, I chatted with Tuer at the Brandt Centre, shortly after he underwent heart bypass surgery. Before too long, Tuer was encircled by people, all of whom inquired as to his well-being.

Upon being discharged from hospital, I would bet that Tuer went directly to the nearest hockey rink. Like most scouts, he will sit in the corner -- away from the crowds -- and assess the prospects.

Tuer will soon be tougher to overlook at the Brandt Centre, given the prominence with which his name will be displayed.

Nearby, there will be banners that honour notable Pats such as Clark Gillies, Bill Hicke, Brad Hornung, Ed Staniowski, Dennis Sobchuk and Doug Wickenheiser.

Tuer belongs right up there with them.

He isn't as well-known as many of the decorated Pats alumni, but few are as well-respected or well-intentioned.

Graham Tuer will never believe it, but it's true.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008