http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...9-cba864956abd

Pats recognized for play

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, March 20, 2008

Regina Pats goaltender Linden Rowat is putting his personal accolades on the shelf -- right beside some new hardware.

Rowat was named a first team all-star and the goalie-of-the-year on Wednesday when the WHL announced its Eastern Conference award winners. Teammates Logan Pyett (defence) and Jordan Eberle (forward) were also recognized as first team all-stars. Eberle added the scholastic player-of-the-year award.

Rowat and Eberle will serve as Eastern nominees in their respective categories for the WHL player-of-the-year awards, which are to be announced on April 8. The Western Conference nominees will be released today.

"I was surprised," Rowat said of winning the Del Wilson Trophy as the top goaltender in the East. "I didn't even know about these awards. I got a text (message) today, checked the (WHL Web) site and there was my name. It's a huge honour. I thank my teammates for helping me get it. Without them I wouldn't have got it. Good job to Ebs and Pyett for getting named as well."

While trying not to sound ungrateful, the news came at an awkward time for Rowat, who is focused on backstopping the Pats in their first-round playoff clash with the Swift Current Broncos.

The series opens Friday night at the Brandt Centre.

"Our focus has been Swift all week and then this got tossed in the middle," he noted. "It's great (to be recognized) -- thank you for the award and everything -- but now I'm just gonna focus on the series."

Rowat finished third among WHL goalies this season with 33 wins, posting a record of 33-15-4-2. He also had a 2.68 goals-against average, a .904 save percentage and three shutouts.

Pyett finished second among WHL D-men with 20 goals and fourth in points with 54 in just 62 games. He was also a team-best plus-24.

Eberle was the Pats' leading scorer with 42 goals (ranked third in the WHL) and 75 points in 70 games. He graded even higher in the classroom with an estimated 90 per cent average.

"When you get recognized for something other than hockey, that doesn't happen too often for me so it's nice," Eberle said with a smile. "In my family, education is important and it has always been like that. It's nice to (win). At the same time I'm not really worried about it. Like Rowat and Pyett are probably saying, our focus is Swift Current and that's what it has been all week."

Since the players were hesitant to pat themselves on the back, head coach Curtis Hunt did it for them.

"It's a tremendous honour for those kids," he said. "What makes it special is we were able to accomplish one of our team goals (winning the East Division pennant). Within that framework, those players were able to perform at a high consistent level and have been recognized by their peers, by the coaches in our league, the general managers and the members of the media who watch them every night. They're all team players. That makes the honour that much better (because) we all have ownership in it."

NOTE: Midget AAA prospects Jordan Weal, Dominick Favreau, Graham Hood and Clark Breitkreuz joined Regina's practice on Wednesday. Weal, 15, led the B.C. Major Midget league with 39 goals and 100 points in 40 games. He won the scoring title by 34 points. Favreau, Hood and Breitkreuz were teammates with the Beardy's Blackhawks.

- - -

THE ACCOLADES

WHL EASTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STARS

FIRST TEAM

Goaltender -- Linden Rowat, Regina Pats

Defenceman -- Karl Alzner, Calgary Hitmen

Defenceman -- Logan Pyett, Pats

Forward -- Steve Da Silva, Kootenay Ice

Forward -- Tyler Ennis, Medicine Hat Tigers

Forward -- Jordan Eberle, Pats

SECOND TEAM

Goaltender -- Dan Spence, Hitmen

Defenceman -- Ty Wishart, Moose Jaw Warriors

Defenceman -- Daryl Boyle, Brandon Wheat Kings

Forward -- Mitch Fadden, Lethbridge Hurricanes

Forward -- Zach Boychuk, Hurricanes

Forward -- Ryan White, Hitmen

Eastern Conference Award Finalists

Rookie-of-the-year, Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy: Brayden Schenn, Brandon Wheat Kings.

Goaltender-of-the-year, Del Wilson Trophy: Rowat.

Defenceman-of-the-year, Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy: Alzner.

Most sportsmanlike player, Brad Hornung Trophy: Ennis.

Scholastic player-of-the-year, Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Trophy: Eberle.

Coach-of-the-year, Dunc McCallum Memorial Trophy: Michael Dyck, Hurricanes.

Executive-of-the-year, Lloyd Saunders Memorial Trophy: Kelly Kisio, Hitmen.

WHL Awards

Regular season champions, Scotty Munro Memorial Trophy: Tri-City Americans.

Top scorer, Bob Clarke Trophy: Mark Santorelli, Chilliwack Bruins.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008