Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kelowna or Seattle

I think that if we play seattle its going to be a tough long drawn out series and if we play Kelowna i think that it would probably be us in 5 maybe 6. Both teams are a threat and its going to be a whole different game than how we ran up the score on the blazers! It will probably be a lot more deffensive game than are last four games. The Ams are on a Hot streak right now with the offense and winning the last 9 games played. GO AMS GO

Default Questions

Just off what I have read here and the little I have heard. It seems like the first periods against Kamloops were pretty even. Had Kamloops maintained their cool and not turned into goons, especially that first game, the games might have been better. Even the first part of the second periods seemed reasonably close and then after that you guys went on a scoring frenzy almost every game. Why is that? Were you guys not awake the first period? Did they just start getting tired the 2nd period? What is your take there? Someone said that they thought playing Kelowna would be a benefit because you haven't played them as much so they don't know what to expect from you. Wouldn't that work both ways? Why couldn't it work in your favor to know more about the team you are playing? The burning question here - has any of the three of you - TRI, Seattle or Kelowna lost any players to injuries or suspensions during this first round? (Too lazy to go look. hehe) I kind of think that you got handed the first round. I felt that way last year too tho and we surprised Everett with how hard we played. I think Everett was surprised how far we went last year against them and you guys were surprised at how far you didn't go against Seattle. Playoffs seem to be wierd creatures! Anyway - no matter wo you play - good luck. I really would like to see the Chiefs and the AMs meet up again down the road!

Well Reese went out of the game on Wednsday because he took a shot ot the face and his tooth went through his bottom lip but I think he will be all ready to go come the next game. McColm was suspended for a game for spearing at the end of game 3 but he served that already so we are all set to go I believe!

Ams2Fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelchild
    Just off what I have read here and the little I have heard. It seems like the first periods against Kamloops were pretty even. Had Kamloops maintained their cool and not turned into goons, especially that first game, the games might have been better. Even the first part of the second periods seemed reasonably close and then after that you guys went on a scoring frenzy almost every game. Why is that? Were you guys not awake the first period? Did they just start getting tired the 2nd period? What is your take there?
    I think it comes down to conditioning. The Ams have been very good at maintaining their speed all the way through 60 minutes of hockey. You'll also notice they have been excellent at comebacks this year - probably because with their speed they wear the other team out by the 3rd period. The only time this doesn't seem to work is when a team like Seattle is able to take away that speed. As far as matching up against Kamloops... the Blazers did a really good job of breaking up plays, especially on the PK. In fact, in both games we saw at home it seemed like the Blazers were holding their own until the 3rd period. Then they got tired, took stupid penalties and basically started to implode. I can't say what happened at the away games, but I would suspect the same thing. Still, their team is better than they play, if that makes sense.

Yeah, it does make sense. I thought that a lot of times Portland played better than the scoreboard showed. It does seem that you guys favor the 3rd period a lot when it comes to winning tho! Keeps those fans biting their nails!

It truly doesn't matter what team we play just that we come out and play OUR game and not worry about the jersey we are facing. We can beat any team in this league so as long as we play OUR game and not let them force us into making mistakes and changing OUR style we will be just fine. GO AMS GO

to answer your question about the first period syndrome vs kamloops it's just how playoff hockey goes if you ask me. both teams are afraid to make the first mistake, no one wants to expose themselves too early blah blah. that said the americans play a much more wide open type of offense which is risk/reward oriented (in my eyes at least). we really aren't one to set up screens and cycle the puck before we lay it in front of the net and hope for a good bounce. with that style of offense in the playoffs you usually don't see it come out until after the teams feel each other out.

also the conditioning and discipline come into effect. with a speedy team like tri cities a bigger, slower team will wear down from all the hitting/board battling/hard skating to keep in the play. that became very obvious vs kamloops as they were tired by the 2nd and it showed by all the penalties they took trying to slow our boys down.

as far as who we want to play i really want to see kelowna myself. after playing them the last weekend of the regular season it was pretty obvious to me they can't skate with the americans, they really were trying to hurt a few people (i was guessing b/c they assumed we'd be their rd 1 opponent). seattle though can skate with us and can beat as as they showed this season. i'm glad to see it go to game 7 though so we get a worn down team after a long, physical series.
    Tri-City Americans 2008 WHL Regular Season Champions! vci34

Question I still like the Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Ams4life
    I hope that it turns out to be Kelowna because Seattle has really given us a run all year long. It should be a little more exciting series than the last one. Whoever we play I am not expecting to sweep it either because both teams are good quality teams! What team does everyone else want us to face?
    So far we have played them better then the Birds. BUT all bets are off as both teams are playing very good hockey!

A tough call
    You're not yourself today...
    I noticed the improvement immediately!

Well I think that our record was 4-0 against the rockets and like 5-4 against the birds so it seems like the obvious choice other than the travel would be to play the rockets but playoff hockey is always different! I really hope that this LONG break we have had doesnt hurt us! Sometimes you see it make a team sluggish and not on edge.

It will take the AMS the first period of game one to get it going again. I prefer to see Kelowna as I have never been there and would like to do some golfing north of the border, did someone say ROAD TRIP!!!!