Thread: Rebels Supposed Lack of Acknowledgment of Reimer Signing! Wallin/Sutter Comments!

1. Default Rebels Supposed Lack of Acknowledgment of Reimer Signing! Wallin/Sutter Comments!

In response to Dubnuts commments and comments of others about the Rebels lack of acknowledgement towards Reimer's recent signing with the Leafs, not true! If you go to the News Archives section of the Rebels website, there was (and still is) an article regarding his signing.

Secondly, I have to disagree with the statement saying how the Rebels fail to acknowledge the successes of their former players. There are frequent articles on the website about past players accomplishments, milestones, statistics, trades etc. I don't buy the game programs/magazine but I can bet there are plenty of articles about Rebels alumni in them. Yeah, they probably could do a better job in this area, but I wouldn't say they do a bad job either! The banners of former players hanging from the ceiling as you go through the main doors at the Centrium was a step in the right direction. Maybe some kind of a Wall of Fame in the rink is another idea.

There hasn't been a lot of comments on the coaching change! I see it as a positive step for the team to get a young, motivated Head Coach in there! I think the players both like and respect Jesse Wallin. He is a former Rebel captain who unfortunately had a promising NHL career cut short because of injury. I think the kids are going to wanna play hard for him. Not to knock Brian Sutter, but looking back at some recent comments I read after the change, I sense this wasn't the right fit for him or the team. The Head Coach position at this level is a full time job! When you are not on the ice or behind the bench, you are traveling, scouting etc. At Brian Sutters age, with his farm commitments and his past accomplishments at the NHL level, I don't think the total commitment that is required was there, and this rubs off on the players. I'm not totally blaming him for the disaster on the ice this past year. He stepped into a tough situation, but as the year went on, the team became less competitive, when they should have been more competitive!

Finally, I don't think you can have a Sutter playing and a Sutter coaching at the same time! I have heard a fair amount of resentment from fans since Brandon's first season regarding how he is treated, extra ice time etc., even though the fans are told he is treated no differently than any other player. Anyone who goes to the games regularly and hangs around the rink knows what I am talking about. Same for anyone who reads these blogs! Former players have made comments as well, which is why they may be former players! I am doubtful Brandon will be back next year, but if he is, I think the coaching change will improve this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy's Got A Gun!
    In response to Dubnuts commments and comments of others about the Rebels lack of acknowledgement towards Reimer's recent signing with the Leafs, not true! If you go to the News Archives section of the Rebels website, there was (and still is) an article regarding his signing.
    Obviously, you just checked the website before you commented because I along with members of my family went way way back in the Rebels archives before we posted the comment on Reimer. We were specifically trying to count how many players in the WHL had signed since the regular season ended and only after not finding any mention on the Red Deer site did I venture to make a comment. That story on Reimer was only posted AFTER I drew attention to the fact that the Rebels had not posted it on their site but also have not yet made an announcement on the WHL site which all other teams have done for their players and which I might add the Rebels certainly did for Brandon Sutter. Check it out on the WHL news archives, Brandon is mentioned on Mar. 26, Reimer signed about week earlier...you'll see the coaching change announced, Wallin's appointment to U18 but no mention of their goaltender's achievement.

I am not from Red Deer and know nothing about Jesse Wallin but I am guessing if Brent Sutter puts him in charge he must have a lot of confidence in the young man. If he is able to garner the respect of the kids, he will probably do well. Hasn't Dallas Guame been there a lot longer with more experience? Why would he not have been considered for the job??
    Last edited by dubnut; 04-08-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dubnut
    but also have not yet made an announcement on the WHL site which all other teams have done for their players and which I might add the Rebels certainly did for Brandon Sutter.
    The individual teams in the league aren't responsible for changing the content on the WHL.ca site--that is up to the WHL. I highly doubt that the individual teams submit all those signing announcements, as they are all too similar in structure and content to be created by that many different people.
    Hasn't Dallas Guame been there a lot longer with more experience? Why would he not have been considered for the job??
    I get the feeling that him being left in charge while Brent was at the reigns of Canada's World Junior team, was a test of sorts for him--a test that he may not have passed.

I agree to some degree. Individual teams are not responsible for what and when something gets posted on the WHL website, but they are asked (mandated) to provide all team information in a timely fashion to the league. the league, when it receives that info, postes it on the site and there is no logical reason they wouldn't, unless of course, it was not sent to them for whatever reason.
    Drop the Puck