Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions and Answers about Age Guidlines

Default Questions and Answers about Age Guidlines

Since it always seem to come up I thought it would be a good idea to get all this information into one place.

CHL/WHL Guidelines

Age for the CHL is calculated from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Thus for the 2006-2007 Season anyone born in 1986 will be considered a 20 yr. old. Anyone born in 1990 is a 16 yr. old.

15yr. old restrictions
    15 yr. olds are allowed to play a maximum of 5 games in the WHL, until their parent team is eliminated from the playoffs.

16 yr. old restrictions
    Starting in 06-07 each team in the CHL will be allowed to carry a maximum of 4 16 year old players. See Wingnuts post below for links.

20 yr. old restrictions

from www.whl.ca
    16. How many 20 year olds can a team use?
    WHL teams are allowed a maximum of three overage players. Teams having more than three overage players to start the season may continue to rotate them in and out of the lineup until October 16th at which time they must select determine the three that they will keep. Other 20-year-olds become free agents for the other teams in the League. From October 16th until February 10th, teams may bring in an overage player, but, if they have three already, then they have to release one. February 10 of each year is the roster deadline and all players who are with a team on that date are there for the duration of the season.

In the past, expansion teams have been allowed to carry 5 20 yr. olds, this should be the same for when the Bruins come into the league on '06-'07

WHL Draft
    The WHL drafts 14-15 year olds from around Western Canada and the Western US.

NHL DRAFT

Anyone who is 18 by September 15th of the year of the draft is automatically entered into the Draft*. Any Non-North American born players over the age of 20 can also enter the draft.

Those who turn 19 by September 15 and are not older than 20 by December 31 are automatically eligible for selection.

A North American player who is not drafted by the age of 20 is an unrestricted free agent. All non-North Americans must be drafted before being signed, regardless of age.

-- Makes things a little confusing as a player in the CHL can be considered a 17 yr old, but for the draft he is eligible. Brule is a good Example - Born Jan. 1/87 he was a 17 yr. old in the CHL, for the 04-05 season; but Eligible for the NHL Draft in '05 since he was 18 at the time of the draft.

World Tournaments

Summer U-18 Team Junior World Cup
    This is the one held in August each year.

Age is based from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. As the name of the tournament implies you have to be under 18.

Thus for this year any 1988 born player is eligible.

U-18 Junior World Championship
    This is the one held in April each year.

Age is based on your Age at Dec. 31st the year prior to the actual Tournament.

For example - For the '06 Tournament any '88 born player is eligible. Thus you have a lot of players who are "technically" 18 playing in this tournament.

--Basically the players who play in the summer tournament are eligible to play in the Spring Tournament the following year.

World Junior Tournament - U20
    Age once again is calculated by Jan.1-Dec.31. Anyone under 20 yrs. old is allowed to participate.

Thus for the '06 Tournament in Vancouver, it is 1986 born players and younger. 16 yr. olds can participate, but it is rare.

--- Hopefully this helps everyone out.

-- I can't seem to find any other changes to the NHL draft age limits or CHL stuff, so I believe this is all accurate. If I've made a mistake let me know and I will fix it up.

Cheers,
    Beaner.

LIST OF CHANGES:
    1) NHL Draft opt-in/out clause removed after 2005 CBA changes.
    2) Updated 16 year old rules as per CHL changes posted by Wingnut below.
    Last edited by Beaner; 05-24-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fixed NHL Draft

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Icon32 Thanks Beaner

This will help claify many arguments until the next rule change.

Default NHL Draft Corrections

With the new CBA, the "opt-in" provision has been eliminated. Any player who is 18 on September 15th of the draft year is automatically eligible.

I also understand that the provisions for non-North American players (i.e. Europeans) has been changed to conform more to the rules for North American players but I do not know this for certain nor what the details of the changes are.

Right you are Wingnut - thanks for the update to the CBA

I believe the change to the Euros was you had to sign them within 2 yrs, you dont get to hold their rights forever as soon as you draft them as with the old CBA.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Maybe make this a sticky thread so it doesn't disappear off the page. Great info Beaner! Thanks.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Icon32 NCAA changes

A change to the NCAA drafted players. It used to be you kept them forever (like the Euro's) but now you have to sign them by Sept. 1 if their graduating class. Makes for less Euro's and university draft picks and more junior picks

Also the 16 year old rule restriction never passed as the major junior leagues want no part of it. It was part of Hockey Canada's attempts to change where 15s could not even play in the junior leagues unless they were deemed extraordinary. So the league can have as many 16s in it as they want and play their 15s in some games.

Quote Originally Posted by N.W. Bruin
    Also the 16 year old rule restriction never passed as the major junior leagues want no part of it. It was part of Hockey Canada's attempts to change where 15s could not even play in the junior leagues unless they were deemed extraordinary. So the league can have as many 16s in it as they want and play their 15s in some games.
    From what I understand, the CHL (WHL, OHL & QMJHL) are bound by the ruling and will comply with this new rule. The WHL is allowed +or- 40 - 16 yr olds next year, which is 1.9 per team. The 15 yr old rule has not changed.

Here is the exact rule from the Canadian Hockey rule book.

Major Junior: Each team is allowed to register and play four (4)
    players in 2005-06, three (3) players in 2006-07 and there
    will be a league cap of forty (40) players in the Western Hockey
    League, forty (40) players in the Ontario Hockey League, and
    forty (40) players in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
    in 2007-08.
    Last edited by Tinner; 12-19-2005 at 09:02 AM.
    Drop the Puck

Default Import Rule

The maximum number of non-North American players that can register
    and play Major Junior Hockey shall be one (1), starting in the 2007-08
    season.
    Drop the Puck

Default 2006 Hockey Canada Annual Meeting

Hockey Canada made the following adjustments to the 16 year old rule for junior hockey and their annual general meeting last weekend.

MAJOR JUNIOR (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)

Each team will be allowed to register a miximum of four 16s in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

JUNIOR A (TIER II) and JUNIOR B

Each team will be allowed to register a miximum of two 16s in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

JUNIOR C and JUNIOR D

Each team will be allowed to register one "local" 16 in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

AFFILIATE PLAYERS

A 16 can be named as an affiliate player in Major Junior and may play a maximum of ten games during the regular season and playoffs. Once his team is finished for the season, he can play in an unlimited number of games.

Any games that a 16 year old affiliate plays in because of being called up due to absences caused by the National Junior, U17, Canada Winter Games, or World Junior A Challenge events will not count against the ten game limit.

Link to AGM press release:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/1/2/8/3/index1.shtml

Link to the mothion as passed.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...ment/1/re_id/0
    Last edited by Wingnut; 05-24-2006 at 11:29 AM.