Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Ams Go

yeah the 'canes got the sweep tonight. Calgary couldn't play team defense at all really and their goaltending was sub-par. They were frequently caught flat-footed and did not skate as hard or as well as they did in their series versus the Broncos

On the other side Metsola was very solid between the pipes and the Hurricanes were getting solid shifts from throughout their line-up. canes play a similar game to both the Ams and the Chiefs and it could be a huge battle depnding upon who comes out of the West

A couple of wildcards would be the layoff that the 'canes have between series and the fact that they have yet to face a team like they will experience coming out the West. Michael Dyck ('canes Head Coach) was an assistant under Don Hay and he learned his lessons well. the 'Canes are a responsible team who aren't afraid to put their offense into top gear. They are getting some amazing contributions from young players right now as well.

So far in the East - the 'Canes have shut down mostly high-flying offense first teams.. not sure how they'll fare against gritty tight checking squads who have a defense first mentality, but can up the offensive game with blazing speed and a timely turnover.

The Chiefs are an incredibly deep team that can play pretty much any style they are faced with. They are disciplined and have the horses to up their game. Tokarski was second only to Sexsmith this season and other than that gaffe for the game four OT winner is rock solid and tough to crack.

Don't know enough about the Ams to really analyze their game, but Chet Pickard gives them a chance to win every night and they have some highly talented players throughout their line-up. Their ability to play tight checking hockey in this series has surprised me somewhat.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

the ams can play almost any style of hockey.... sure high scoring open ice skating is the preference but the boys cant bang 'em up with anyone.

man this series is expensive on the drinks lol.... i can't hardly watch the games sober... too intense for me
    Tri-City Americans 2008 WHL Regular Season Champions! vci34

We lost to Lethbridge earlier in the year but I would have to say that really doesn't mean anything! Oh wait I think that we should worry about getting past this round first! The Chiefs would topple the canes and so would the Americans! They have no idea what kind of power the Chiefs or the Americans have offense or deffense both teams are great!

You're right about just getting thru this round first, a real battle. But as far as either Spokane or Tri beating the Canes go, I'd not be too hasty. Unless you are just trying to get the power of positive thinking in play.

I think it could easily be much like this current Spoke/Tri series, a good matchup. All goaltenders playing well (with maybe a bit of a nod to the west teams on that front). Similar, effective D calibres (both steady D and skilled O elements). Forwards, as much as I respect all the western teams have to offer, I'd be tempted to give the nod to Canes on that front (they are deep and hot).

I think it would come down to if the west teams could seriously limit quality of Canes chances; and the west goalie coming up very big on the opportunities the Canes do jump on. Then if you get a couple thru Metsola, you've got a good battle on your hands.

Do you not realize that the Tri-city Americans had the most Goals For during the regular season (17 more than the canes) and the Chiefs scored the 3rd most in the WHL during the regular season. You sound like you are making the Canes out to be such a HUGE offenive weapon. You don't get much better than the Ams or Chiefs as for that matter. Then if you want to talk about the deffense game then you have Chiefs with the second least amount of goals scored against them and the Americans with the 5th least amount ogf goals against. Lethbridge may be good but then didn't battle the quality of teams either the Americans or chief's did all year long. The WEST will win the WHL Championship even if the canes are playing great hockey.

JBurnham@gmail.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ams4life
    The WEST will win the WHL Championship even if the canes are playing great hockey.
    So they don't even have to play the games right? Cause you say so? You NEVER know, until the game is PLAYED. I'm an AMs fan, so I hope we kick their ass. And if it is Spokane who moves on, I hope Spokane kicks their ass. But until the game is played, we don't know.

Ams2Fan Guest

The WEST will win the WHL Championship even if the canes are playing great hockey.
    Yeesh. I wish I had that kind of confidence!

GOT TO KEEP IT POSITIVE!!!!!!!! Look at how good each of our teams are though. I think that it would be very surprising for them to lose to the east

I'm with you Ams4life, we'll keep it positive. But I know enough about Canes to say I think that would be a total matchup for either west team. I'd be surprised if it wasnt a battle much like we're seeing here right now between Spoke and Tri. I could break that down to man to man detail, but in the meantime trust me, they'll be a handful for either west team. I hope we prevail too, but I'd be hard pressed to give you more than even money on that right now.

Do you not realize that the Tri-city Americans had the most Goals For during the regular season (17 more than the canes) and the Chiefs scored the 3rd most in the WHL during the regular season. You sound like you are making the Canes out to be such a HUGE offenive weapon. You don't get much better than the Ams or Chiefs as for that matter. Then if you want to talk about the deffense game then you have Chiefs with the second least amount of goals scored against them and the Americans with the 5th least amount ogf goals against. Lethbridge may be good but then didn't battle the quality of teams either the Americans or chief's did all year long. The WEST will win the WHL Championship even if the canes are playing great hockey.
    You just keep telling yourself that!!!

I find it really funny that some of you guys in the west refuse to accept the fact the east is just as strong as the west. Only 11 pts separated 1st from 8th in the east, and I think it was over 50pts separating the playoff teams in the west. Oh well, it's been said many times before and you still can't see it.

I'm not for a minute saying the team that wins the west won't beat the Canes, but the fact that you probably haven't seen the Canes once this year, you probably shouldn't jump to any conclusions either. Which is why the games are played.

Go Canes

clrkth