Thread: Season Post-Mortem

Default Season Post-Mortem

Watching the season end tonight was pretty tough. What it all boiled down to was the top 5 players on the ice belonged to Calgary. Their best were the best. Our best couldn't get it done. Was health an issue? Probably, but you can't hang your hat on that.

One thing that this series re-enforced for me was that Brent Seabrook is going to have a very tough road ahead of him if he's going to play in the NHL. Whenever I bring up the subject of him being over-rated I get shut down, but there is no denying that Getzlaf had him in his pocket this series, especially in game 5. That's fine, Getzlaf is a great player who will probably have a fine NHL career. So what did Brent learn from this series? According to his interview, nothing, no positives at all. I've got one lesson for you, step it up like everyone else did. If he did, then it wasn't enough. If that was the case, then my over-rated theory stands firm. Enough about that.

Sorochan played ok but Pogge was better. That's not to say he was invincible, he just made the stops any way he could while the D moved the rebounds out of harms way. I hope next year's keeper plays as well as Sorochan did this season

The rest of the Canes D was pretty steady. The future looks bright. I wish Chapman all the best as I think the overage numbers game will leave him the odd man out.

The forwards didn't do it. We kept waiting for the bubble to burst on some players seasons and it finally did. Our lack of size came through. Once again, next year should be fun to ewatch, but the size issue needs to be addressed.

Looking forward to seeing the team next season.

I personally thought that Seabrook played fairly well tonight. An unlucky bounce that led to the first goal but other than that I thought he was good. I do think he still needs a little work on his defense but it's hard to find a player at his age that is better at making that first pass out of his own end. Also he is an absolute horse out there. The man plays 3/4 of the game. I too thought that he was overrated but the more I watched him play this season the more I realized that he is a special player. The last regular season meeting between the 'Canes and Hitmen without Seabrook in the lineup, the Hurricanes looked lost. I just think that the Hurricanes relied on him too much. I think that he could have walked into the Blackhawks top 6 this season if there were a season. It won't be the same team without him.

For the most part I think that the Hurricanes d-fense played pretty well. Could they have been better? Of course but they gave it their all.

Sorochan was not at his best but he is hardly to blame. He stood on his head Wed. and was the only reason the 'Canes were able to get to the 2nd OT.

The reason they lost this series is because Ladd and Getzlaf outplayed the 'Canes top six forwards. Yellowhorn...awful, Filewich...brutal, Pess...weak, Redenbach...bunk, Lammers...sad, Versteeg...bad. That's how I saw the top players in this series for the Hurricanes. They had two powerful lines yet nothing from any of them. No Hurricane player had more than 3 points in the series. The top two lines had 9 points combined. Getzlaf and Ladd had 14. That is a sad stat. Basically the forwards lost this series.

I really enjoyed this season. They made it into the playoffs in my first year here in Lethbridge and in my last since my school career is winding down.

Thanks for the great season Hurricanes, I will always have a soft spot for my adopted home team.
    GO RAMBLERS GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orv

I really enjoyed this season. They made it into the playoffs in my first year here in Lethbridge and in my last since my school career is winding down.
    No chance of employment in Lethbridge or do you already have plans?

I also forgot to add: Hofford did a great job getting the 'Canes into the playoffs this year, but boy is he ever hard on his players. Reading some of his comments in the media seemed pretty harsh. These are still kids and I wonder if he loses sight of that once in a while. I know they didn't come up with the results, but give some credit to the Hitmen for shutting them down.

WOW

What a series.

Congrats to the Canes and their fans on a great season, and good luck next year.

How does your team look next year? Losing Seabrook (maybe) will be a HUGE hole to fill.

Saw the highlights of the game on TV last night and what a terrible OT goal. Sad that after all the hard work through the season by everyone, it had to come down to a crappy goal like that.

That being said, after watching the games here the Hitmen definitely deserved to win IMO.

Good luck next year, and I hope to meet a few of you at the Dome for a game.

Taz

Quote Originally Posted by loudi94
    No chance of employment in Lethbridge or do you already have plans?
    Can't see it but you never know.
    GO RAMBLERS GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orv
    Can't see it but you never know.
    I was hell bent on moving back to Trail BC when I went to UofL, but I ended up teaching here because we liked it so much. Wind and all.

Hitmen are my pick to win the whl right now or at least the east.

I spent a few years in Lethy going to school, but I couldn't come to stay there, I liked the city, but the flatness is what drove me away, anyways, I kind of have a soft spot for the hurricanes and was dissapointed to see them eliminated, I was hoping to make the trek there for a game had they made the finals. Good luck to them next year.

LethMan_9 Guest

Im currently going to school here in Lethy, at the university. For the Canes to make playoffs for the first time in three years really gave us some good entertainment over the weekends. Im only halfway done my post-ed, so ive got another few years of hockey left to enjoy here in the Bridge. Even though im originally based just north of calgary, Im definately starting to refer to Leth as "home". It was a great season, and best of luck to all teams for the rest of the playoffs.