Thread: 1980 Memorial Cup

Default 1980 Memorial Cup

Interesting read on Drinnan's page about the 1980 cup. From someone who wasnt there, and didnt know much about the event itself aside from the Bryan Murray's Pats being involved...It was very interesting to hear what actually happened back then, and to tell the truth, Im a little surprised, especially with the comments at the end.

Was anyone who was actually there or around at the time this event transpired? I would much love to hear what they think about the illeged "thrown" game. Perhaps scoreboard perhaps has knowledge here, being the oldest guy here and all.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/06...tory-1980.html

Its a long read, so I wont copy and paste it here. But read it before you proceed any further to avoid spoilers (unless you have read it already/know what all happened)

Wow! I feel bad for the OHL players that had to go through with that, though I know for a fact that I would have been there right with them throwing things at that scumbag Keenan. Lost alot of respect for him after reading this, and gained some for Murray for speaking his mind. At least the petes lost at the end, almost like karma.

But hey, at least they make it past the first round. Pats fans these days dont even get the opportunity to throw chickens at an OHL team.

I apparently was there but being just over a year old don't remember it.

I mentioned it to my mom and all the first thing she said was "it was pathetic" and she then mentioned a chicken being thrown on the ice, and that's about it. My dad may have ben there but he thinks he was working (such a good help lol).

I know I heard stories of the games from someone but I won't say anything until I get some confirmation. All I know was it was a true "gong show."

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk
    Interesting read on Drinnan's page about the 1980 cup. From someone who wasnt there, and didnt know much about the event itself aside from the Bryan Murray's Pats being involved...It was very interesting to hear what actually happened back then, and to tell the truth, Im a little surprised, especially with the comments at the end.

Was anyone who was actually there or around at the time this event transpired? I would much love to hear what they think about the illeged "thrown" game. Perhaps scoreboard perhaps has knowledge here, being the oldest guy here and all.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/06...tory-1980.html

Its a long read, so I wont copy and paste it here. But read it before you proceed any further to avoid spoilers (unless you have read it already/know what all happened)

Wow! I feel bad for the OHL players that had to go through with that, though I know for a fact that I would have been there right with them throwing things at that scumbag Keenan. Lost alot of respect for him after reading this, and gained some for Murray for speaking his mind. At least the petes lost at the end, almost like karma.

But hey, at least they make it past the first round. Pats fans these days dont even get the opportunity to throw chickens at an OHL team.
    Gregg DRINNAN - Was a Sports Writer, and later the Sports Editor with the Regina Leader Post from 1983 to 2000. He is presently Sports Editor with Kamloops Daily News.

Everything he wrote about the game is correct. It was a complete fiasco! It was a black mark against the Canadian Hockey League. The following year the Memorial Cup was changed to a new format. I recall a story concerning the Winnipeg Jets (NHL) in which they intended to offer Peterborough's Coach, Mike KEENAN, a coaching contract the following season but, due to this fiasco, they changed their minds. A case where you make a mistake and suffer the consequences.

The whole story, iterview with Owner/Manager Bob Strumm and interview with Dale Derkatch, will be included in the upcoming Regina Pats Book, to be released this fall.

HERE IS SOME OF WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE GAME !!!

With only 1 minute and 20 seconds left in the game, many of the Agridome fans let loose their frustration. At one point it was obvious Cornwall was going to win as Peterborough held back. The fans were upset over the Petes letting Cornwall win because in doing so they would not have to play the Regina Pats in the final.

The Petes finally layed down and died in the final period. Soft drinks, programs and even a bottle were hurled at the Peteborough players. After a delay of fifteen minutes, and the appearance of Regina's finest, the game continued with the fans booing.

NOTE: The Petes entered the contest with three wins and a 14 game winning streak in the post-season. DID THEY BLOW THE GAME? WHAT DO YOU THINK? AS I MENTIONED ABOVE - READ THE BOOK DUE TO COME OUT THIS FALL IN WHICH THE TRUE FACTS ARE GIVEN.

When I was Assistant to Coach Lorne Davis with the Regina Pats in 1977-78, a similar occurrence arose - during the Round Robin Semi-Final Play-Offs in which the Regina Pats, Flin Flon Bombers, and Brandon Wheat Kings were involved. It came down to the final game of the Round Robin which was a do or die situation for the Regina Pats. They had to win by six or more goals to eliminate Brandon.

Brandon finished in first place in the Eastern Division with 106 points, the Pats finished with 63 points. Due to Flin Flon throwing the game, Regina Pats won the game 10-4 over Flin Flon. Because of that, Brandon was eliminated from the play-offs. The result was that all three teams finished with 4 wins and 4 losses. Flin Flon finished with a plus 3, Regina Pats with minus 1, and Brandon with minus 2. Brandon could only blame themselves as they lost 9-2 at home against the Bombers.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 07-08-2008 at 11:03 PM.