Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trouble Brewing in Kootney's

If Bellingham or Wenatcheee want a team ... red rover, red rover, send Portland right over! ... as far as the ice, or any team N. of the 49th parallel, I think moving them to the states is a bad idea

I made a post in this thread yesterday, or so I thought, but apparently it didn't work.

Everything I've seen lists Wenatchee's arena as having a capacity of 4500-5000, but I'm not sure if that's the actual capacity for hockey or the total number of seats in the arena. I don't think either Prince George or Kootenay are actually going to move, just a gut feeling I guess. I actually don't expect to see any teams relocating in the near future. When the WHL expands (I know some people already complain about the league having too many teams, but it's going to happen at some point) Wenatchee would be an ideal city to add to the US division. Being right in the middle of the state means that there would be minimal added travel costs. Expansion would also mean the league has the option of adding a BC team, or moving Kootenay back to the BC division and adding a team in the east, possibly Winnipeg.

Iconwhl

What about Grande Prairie, Fort MacMurray or Yorkton ??
    Winnipeg has an AHL team which I don't think will be moving in the near future !!

I don't think that Kootenay is going anywhere.

somehow somewhere, the Ice office is going to figure out a way to fill the seats. It is the best hockey in the area and our town just stinks sometimes at coming out and supporting things.
    GO ICE GO !!!

Mats Guest

Default New lease

Heavy rumor has it new 15 year lease has been signed.
    Magic attendance number now toast.
    City gave more concessions-apparently a sweet deal for the Ice.
    May rumors now hopefully stop.
    Now if they get a marketing person...........

Thanks for the update Mats!

yes, let the rumor mill die down....
    GO ICE GO !!!

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by 3rebels
    What about Grande Prairie, Fort MacMurray or Yorkton ??
    Winnipeg has an AHL team which I don't think will be moving in the near future !!

First off the league doesnt want to go that far north due to travel expenses, Grande Prairie and Fort MacMurray. As for yorkton there is no way they could support a WHL team, when a home playoff game you only draw 1042 people those numbers arnt nearly high enough to even consider moving a team to yorkton.

As for Winnipeg, it seems like AHL teams dont stay in city's longer then 5 or 7 years. Lots of places in the USA want a team even if its for a short term basis just to prove they can support a team. Im not so sure that the Winnipeg franchise is a 100% forsure for the future. Winnipeg would get more of a guarantee with a junior team then a AHL team. When the Wheat Kings go to Winnipeg to play a game or 2 during the season they draw good attendence. Winnipeg is on the WHL radar may not be right in the near future but i do feel within time maybe around 2013 there could be a team there. These community owned teams are having problems supporting a team with the riseing costs to operate a team. Teams like Prince Albert, Swift Current, Moose Jaw all have small rinks that dont even hold 3000 (yes MJ is in the process of building a new rink, but has a shovel went into the ground yet??) It would not surprise me in the near future that Prince Albert may not be around. Prince Albert's economy isnt as strong as it once was, mainly due to the pulp plant being closed down, lots of jobs were lost. There isnt much industry in PA which keeps/brings people to that city. This isnt meant to be bashing PA in anyway (being a fellow person from saskatchewan) just being realistic is all. MJ just scraped by to land a new rink and MJ is alot bigger then PA and has industry there that will bring some people to MJ.

I wanted to keep this short... but im sure you all know me i tend to go off on somethings just a tad... So coming from me Grande Prairie, Fort Mac and Yorkton are all no's due to travel and attendence support.