http://www.medicinehatnews.com/content/view/35382/110/

Undershute joins St. FX

Former Tiger headed to east coast university

COLLIN GALLANT

cgallant@medicinehatnews.com

Kevin Undershute wants to study business, but he already knows a thing or two about making contacts.

The Medicine Hat native who helped his hometown Tigers win a WHL title in 2007 will join another former Tiger, Brett Robertson, at the University of St. Francis Xavier and play for the X-men in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

The likeable former Tiger and Portland Winter Hawk turned down several pro tryout offers from East Coast Hockey League teams in favour of cashing in under the WHL’s scholarship program.

"I still want to play hockey after I’m done, but it’s pretty neat to be able to get my education (paid for)," said the 21-year-old winger, who chose St. FX as his destination after Robertson’s father, a part-time recruiter for the X-Men, approached him last winter when the Winter Hawks played a game in Kelowna.

A spring tour sold Undershute on the 155-year-old campus, which includes state of the art athletics facilities. After an offer to split rent with Robertson.

"It's a really neat place, I'm really excited to go out there... I just thought it would be neat to see a different part of the country. With the scholarship program it's great that you can get the scholarship and play anywhere."

It also helps that the X-Men's fourth-year coach, Brad Peddle, played in Austria, England and Germany after playing stints at St. FX and in the ECHL.

Undershute sees European leagues as his ultimate designation, but until then he'll be riding the buses throughout the Maritimes in the CIS Atlantic Conference.

Another graduated Tiger Daine Todd will be skating for the University of New Brunswick Reds, a St. FX rival.