Matt Keetley spent four seasons minding the net with the Western Hockey League’s Medicine Hat Tigers from 2003 to 2007. Along the way, the 22-year-old Medicine Hat product helped his hometown team win two WHL championships, make two appearances at the MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament, and win a Scotty Munro trophy as the WHL’s top team during the regular season.

Drafted in the 5th round (158th overall) by the Calgary Flames at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Keetley completed his first season of professional hockey with the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Quad City where he put up a 10-8-3 record in 26 regular-season contests and boasted a solid 2.33 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage.

During his first professional campaign, Keetley even got the chance to suit up for an NHL game when he came on in relief of Flames’ All-Star goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff during a game in November.

Having recently attended his third Flames’ summer prospect camp in Calgary at the end of July, Keetley is preparing himself for his second season of pro hockey and looking forward to the chance to perhaps earn an NHL job in Calgary in the fall.

Matt Keetley’s Perspective

On attending the Flames’ prospects camp…
“It’s always tough to get back into it. You realize how out of shape you can get in just a few weeks after the season ends. You come here and they throw you right out there and they were firing a lot of shots at us. I finally figured out that being in shape for on-ice is tougher to get to than being in shape off the ice. But, it’s been good to see the guys and get back out there. You want to try and impress out there, but it’s more about feeling the puck and getting some time in with the guys.”

On his first pro season in 2007-08…
“There was a lot of ups and downs last season. For a while, I was up here in Calgary and got to play in the NHL. Then, there were times where both Brent (Krahn) and Curtis McElhinney were down in Quad City and I was a healthy scratch for long stretches. I learned a lot about growing mentally. You have to keep yourself on an even keel and not let yourself get too up or down.”

On living away from home for the first time…
“The transition for most young kids coming into the WHL is tough because they are moving away from home for the first time. For me, I got to play for my hometown team and live at home for my Junior career until I was 21, so this year was a tough year for me in moving away and living on my own. The first month was the hardest, but after that it got easier. I had lots of help with the guys and my roommates.”

On his friendship with former Tigers teammate and current fellow Flames prospect Gord Baldwin…
“It’s funny because during our time in Medicine Hat, I don’t think I ever really hung out with Gordo. I had my friends from home, and we did hang out with the team, but Gord and I never really hung out too much. Last year, in Quad Cities, we hung out every day and reminisced about the days in Medicine Hat. He has definitely helped me out. I give Gordo a lot of credit for helping me adjust to the pros.”

On his former Tigers teammate, Darren Helm, winning a Stanley Cup in Detroit…
“I texted him a few times, and I Talked with him a couple weeks ago when we were both in Medicine Hat. Seeing Helmer, you’d never know he had just won a Stanley Cup in the NHL. He’s the most down-to-earth and nicest guys you’d ever meet. I’m not surprised he made it up to Detroit. He’s one of the best guys to have on any team because of his work ethic and passion. He’s a great guy on and off the ice.”

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

Scout