Thread: Baby Sutter

Iconcup Baby Sutter

What are the chances that Brandon is going to make the 'Canes?

clrkthj 3

Canes GM Ronnie Francis says that Brandon's chances of sticking are pretty good.

and if he sticks, this team is in even deeper trouble. Hate to say this being a fan and all, but I'm also realistic. Even if Sutter does come back I don't see us a) making the playoffs or b) finishing higher than 5th in the central. The Canes, Tigers, Hitmen and Ice will all be above us. Will we improve over last season? I think so.

If Sutter don't return, well team could be in more trouble.
    FWHL: http://fwhlhockey.proboards.com/index.cgi?

WHL fantasy league! Looking for members!

follow me on twitter: @PADJJeff

I for one would be quite shocked if he cracks the Carolina lineup as a 19 year old. In fact I would be shocked if he cracks the Carolina lineup without spending a season or two in the AHL.

With the combination of some talented new players coming in, and the anticipated 'addition by subtraction' that we should see in the next month or so, they should be an improved squad over last season. Both Calgary and Kootenay have some pretty key losses this season. I think at the very worst they will sneak into the last playoff spot this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter
    I for one would be quite shocked if he cracks the Carolina lineup as a 19 year old. In fact I would be shocked if he cracks the Carolina lineup without spending a season or two in the AHL.

With the combination of some talented new players coming in, and the anticipated 'addition by subtraction' that we should see in the next month or so, they should be an improved squad over last season. Both Calgary and Kootenay have some pretty key losses this season. I think at the very worst they will sneak into the last playoff spot this season.
    That's the absolute best I see this team doing. Squeeking into 8th spot. But let's face facts here.

Lethbridge and Brandon will hold the 1 and 2 spots, maybe not in that order.

Then teams like Saskatoon, Regina, Swift Current, Moose Jaw, and the rest of the central excluding Edmonton will have better season that the Rebels. Do I want us to miss playoffs? Of course not, But I don't see us finishing in the top 8. Now if by some miracle Reimer returns, then yea, we have a much better shot. all I can say, is that I hope by season end I am eating my words.
    Last edited by RDRebelsfan; 08-03-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    FWHL: http://fwhlhockey.proboards.com/index.cgi?

WHL fantasy league! Looking for members!

follow me on twitter: @PADJJeff

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter
    If he doesn't have a very bad camp Brandon will at least start the season in Carolina. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford already stated that they think that Sutter will center their fourth line this year (and looking at their roster I suppose they really opened up that spot for him). According to Francis and Rutherford, they think that he is NHL ready, except maybe for a lack of strength. But I guess the Hurricanes brass figures that it will be better for him playing a few minutes on the fourth line and working full time with their fitness guru Pete Friesen (one of the best Strength and Conditioning Coaches in the world) than going back to the WHL.

Now personally I think the he should be back, but Carolina has a knack for rushing its top prospects, so...

Quote Originally Posted by WHL Rules
    If he doesn't have a very bad camp Brandon will at least start the season in Carolina. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford already stated that they think that Sutter will center their fourth line this year (and looking at their roster I suppose they really opened up that spot for him). According to Francis and Rutherford, they think that he is NHL ready, except maybe for a lack of strength. But I guess the Hurricanes brass figures that it will be better for him playing a few minutes on the fourth line and working full time with their fitness guru Pete Friesen (one of the best Strength and Conditioning Coaches in the world) than going back to the WHL.

Now personally I think the he should be back, but Carolina has a knack for rushing its top prospects, so...
    The beautiful thing about being Brandon Sutter right now...is unlike a lot of 18,19 and 20 year olds trying to make their NHL teams,Brandon can play on a 4rth line in the NHL and not be compromising his development...because when its all said and done...he WILL be a checker and thats what ANY 4rth liner is expected to do.

Contrast that with...say a guy like Robbie Schremp...who STILL can't make the Oilers line-up because he isn't BETTER than any Oiler in the top 6 right now. (apparently)

I'm hoping for Baby Sutter to make CAR. We think of him as ' a Sutter' so much we forget he is also a TRUE hometown product and its not all that often a local kid goes as high in the draft as Brandon did.
    Last edited by chainsaw; 08-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.