Thread: city of moose jaw forced to court over multiplex

Default city of moose jaw forced to court over multiplex

Regina lawyer going to court to try and force another multiplex referendum vote
    The Moose Jaw Times Herald

Regina lawyer John Beke will be going to court to try and force Moose Jaw city council to call another multiplex referendum vote.
    On June 25, Beke, with the firm Balfour Moss, sent the city of Moose Jaw a letter, on behalf of five local clients, stating council’s decision to spend approximately $34.5 million on the multiplex project violates a 2006 referendum.
    Therefore, Beke’s clients want the city to conduct another referendum, as would coincide with the amendment policy stated in the Cities Act.
    With no response in the day’s following, on July 10, Beke sent the city another letter, giving a deadline of this week for the city to indicate the referendum intentions. Otherwise, he would take the non-response as a refusal to pursue the second referendum.
    On Monday, with still no response from council, Beke said he would begin pursuing legal action to force the referendum.
    After preparing documents, he will make a Court of the Queen’s Bench application to force the second referendum. After that application is made, the city will receive a week’s notice of the proceedings.
    Beke expects the courts will have heard all the arguments regarding this case by the middle-to-end of August.

Read more in Tuesday's Times-Herald.

wardog fan: I feel your pain. If I didn't know that Moose Jaw was in the middle of a prairie wheat field I would think that you were surrounded by tree huggers.

lol one would have to think that way , geez i tell ya i love our city and all that but we have soo many people who live in the 80's and 70's still and just want to be happy with what we have and pay the lowest of low taxs. to be honest with you im scared of this court junction and the time wasted with what could be a bad result here. its only been 3-4 years now just as we think we are moving forward for once , we take a step back and its been this way in this city for as long as i have been alive..

Default Moose jaw fans

Perhaps it is time to make your message to those individuals who started this action. I am sure there phone numbers are in the book, and also their address. If they have any business associations start by getting a movement going to boycott their business. Nothing like giving them a message, perhaps a counter suit for the anxiety and uncertainty their involvement is costing you, Here is hoping the high priced lawyer from Regina gets sent packing with his tail between his legs. Perhaps Regina fans should also consider sending a message to the legal firm if they are your lawyers as well. After all hard ball is hard ball !Too many valuable assets are being wasted on a done deal.

Let's have a vote so we can shut them up once and for all. I'm sure it will still go through either way. vc124

ok, so this lawyer gets 5 of his buddies to join his power trip...so I'd say when this goes to the courts, that ALL Warrior season ticket holders go and outnumber his little 5 people against the deal...to show that in the eyes of the courts, they can see that an overwelming amount of people support the Warriors and their new home...and make the Queens Court, into the court of Public Opinion, and shut this ego driven lawyer and his coke snorting buddies the hell up.

Obviously these morons are not hockey fans, or business people...because they don't give a crap about either apparently.

Default Rules/Laws

Unfortunately, it is irrelevant how we feel about what this group has started with the law firm from Regina, it is now a matter of resolving if in fact proper procedure has been followed by Moose Jaw town council. If the last referendum is still relevant, then we have a problem. I do indeed hope, believe that the Moose Jaw legal advisor was on top of his/their game when they allowed the latest vote and changes for the new cost and location.

It also surprises me that a group of disgruntled people would be willing to start legal action on this, don’t they have to pay for this? Why a lawyer from Regina? Is no firm willing to represent this case from Moose Jaw? What does that say about this group and local support for their cause? I’m also wondering if this group has another reason for starting this, Are they affected by arena location somehow? Something else? Who are these people?

well i can say these people are now rumored to be anywheres up to 150 citizens backing this legal action. i do know that the city of moose jaw has hired a lawyer out of saskatoon to represent them. talking to alot of people should this go to vote the downtown location as well the money funded from the city will be turned down or at least make for a very close vote. people are just fed up and our council has been known to do some werid things. with that all aside i believe the majority of moose jaw wants the team to stay and wants a new rink or refurbished crushed can at a lower cost then what is being staked into the downtown core. 5 names have been released in the paper , these 5 people are head of the lawsuit, but to name them on here won't do any justice. alot of people believe that this won't stall anything but if by chance the judge rules in another vote, that could very well change things and make the city yet again miss their whl deadline of december. another bit of news that should come out tommorrow is the city was to hire their project manager last friday which means if they did and this rink falls threw the city is committed to about 2 million dollers of tax payers money for doing nothing.. so all in told alot of things on the go here in the jaw alot of disgruntled people and people who just want a rink built at a decent cost then being forced to build downtown which to me is not the right spot, but i dont care as long as its built and built right for this city.