Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp 2008

Default Training Camp 2008

From Greg Harder.... http://communities.canada.com/regina...amp-stuff.aspx

Pats camp stuff

Here are the results from the first two days of scrimmages in Regina Pats training camp:

In a rookie scrimmage, Team Blue defeated Team White 5-4 in a shootout.
    Blue: Dallas Hubic, Dyson Stevenson (2), and Jordan Daniels. Hubic scored the shootout winner.
    White: Lucas Froese, Ryan Ostertag, Dylan Bentz and Dayton Reinboldt.

In a vets scrimmage, Jeff Bosch stopped 15 out of 15 shots in his half of the game, backstopping Team Grey to a 4-1 win over Team Red.
    Grey: Victor Bartley, Kyle Mulder, Chad Filateau and Jordan Weal.
    Red: Graham Hood.

In a rookie scrimmage, Team White dumped Team Blue 8-1.
    White: Riley Storzuk (2), Brett Charette, Ryan Baskerville, Dayton Reinboldt, Dustin Eberle, Casey Pirio and Myles Bell.
    Blue: Dyson Stevenson

In another rookie scrimmage, Riley Storzuk was traded to the Blue team, which posted a 5-3 win.
    Blue: Riley Storzuk, Matthew Hildebrandt, Dyson Stevenson, Michael Benson and Dallas Hubic.
    White: Dayton Reinboldt, Myles Bell and Joshua Schwindt.

In a vets scrimmage, Team Red beat Team Grey 4-3.
    Red: Ryan DePape (3) and Curtis Kulchar.
    Grey: Drew George and Kirt Hill.

I was at all the weekend scrimmages and I wasn't keeping track of the scorers or anything like that (especially the rookies as I had no clue as to who 90% of them are). I will post my thoughts on the "vets" a bit later on tonight.... I will break them down into positions and give a little write-up about each player. I might even make bold predictions as to who may make the team..... but I haven't decided that yet .

Edit: I will post my thoughts tomorrow.... Need to type them up.
    Last edited by nivek_wahs; 08-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.

From Rod's Blog.....
    http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008...-complete.html

Training Camp Day 4

Lumsden, Saskatchewan – Day four of Pats training camp 2008 was a big one for the rookies. Today was their fourth and final scrimmage of camp, before the main camp invitations went out. The game saw Team Blue skate away with the 6-3 win over Team White.
    Scoring for the Blue were Riley Storzuk (2), Michael Benson (2), Matthew Hildebrandt and Michael Sagen.
    For Team Red were Lucas Froese, and Brett Charette (2).

15 players have been invited to the Pats main camp:
    Dyson Stevenson - For
    Riley Storzuk - For
    Jordan Daniels –For
    Tyler Borstmeyer -Def
    Shamus Graham - Def
    Dawson Guhle – Goal
    Corey Nygaard – Goal
    Austin Vargo – Goal
    Tyler Pavkovich – Def
    Myles Bell – Def
    Lucas Froese – For
    Dustin Eberle – For
    Dayton Reinbodlt – For
    Ryan Baskerville – For
    James Dobni – For

Sunday concluded with the veteran inter-squad game. Team Grey, lead by Kyle Mulder's three goals cruised to the 9-3 win over Team Red. Also scoring for the Grey's were Drew George (2), Clarke Breitkreuz, Jordan Weal, Scott Doucet, and Graham Hood, while Victor Bartley had four assists. Scoring in the loss for the Red's were Garrett Mitchell, Colten Teubert, and Andrew Rieder.

After the scrimmage, the following players were designated for assignment:
    Clarke Byczynski – to Yorkton (SJHL)
    Kyle Wells – to Winkler (MJHL)
    Bo Lenard – to Melfort (SJHL)
    Klynt Spencer – to Lethbridge Midget-AAA (AMHL)

The Pats are also dealing with some bumps and bruises with the current players on the shelf, all are just out day-to-day.
    Brett Leffler – groin
    Dallas Jackson – groin
    Andrew Reider – arm laceration
    Byron Sorenson – thumb
    Josh Elder – Knee
    Chad Filteau – Back

Main camp dawns tomorrow morning at 9:30 as the players prepare for the annual Pats' Blue and White game Tuesday night at 7pm.

Schedule for Monday August 25th, 2008
    9:30 – 10:30am Blue Practice Lumsden Arena
    10:45 – 11:45am White Practice Lumsden Arena
    7:00 – 9:00pm Scrimmage Lumsden Arena
    ………………….

2008-09 Regina Pats season tickets are currently on sale at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre. Call 522-PATS to reserve your seat for the upcoming season of Regina Pats Hockey.

Is Elder's knee the same injury he had last year?

And are there any players that ended up being a no show?

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk
    Is Elder's knee the same injury he had last year?
    I can't say as to what happened to Elder.... He was there for the first period and a bit of the scrimmage and then he was gone. No big hit nothing that looked too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk
    And are there any players that ended up being a no show?
    I think all of the players on the list showed up. The amount of skaters matched the list of players. So I would take a guess and say "no"

Default Goalies

Well here goes nothing...

Goalies

I think the Pats brass has a conundrum on their hands with the goaltending situation. In my personal opinion I think that there is no clear cut #1. I think they have a #1A and #1B and that order is a very grey area. But for now (at least until there is a deal or 2) here is where I see them. I don’t have any notes on the rookie camp goalies as I wasn’t sure who they all were.

1A: Rowat
    1B: Bosch
    3: Tendler
    4: Ketlo

Linden Rowat (1989): After a rough first 4 minutes in the first “vet” scrimmage he has rebounded and appears to have all the confidence in the world. I really can’t say if he has improved too much but he played extremely well and made numerous great saves.

Jeff Bosch (1990): Has had an outstanding camp so far. It took until almost the end of the 3rd scrimmage to finally break the goose egg he had going and it looked like it was on a 3rd or 4th rebound. Been amazingly poised and has shown his great glove hand on numerous occasions. Still isn’t a great puck handling goalie but is getting better.

Derek Tendler (1992): Has outplayed Ketlo by miles in camp. Looks like a veteran goalie battling for a job. Has a tendency to go into the butterfly early and leaves the top shelf open but has an above average glove hand and can usually snag the top shelf shots. Is probably the Pats best puck handling goalie but tends to get him in trouble by wandering.

Damien Ketlo (1991): I was expecting to see a battle between him and Tendler for the “pivotal” 3rd stringer job but in my opinion has been a real disappointment in camp. Has good angle coverage and seems to be really quick. Has let in some extremely weak (and I mean weak) goals. But he has to be given credit as he continues to battle.

Defense

Well... as for the defense I was starting to have concerns when Bartley was having pro aspirations (I don’t blame him), but with him back on the blue line I think that the Pats have nothing to worry about. Teubert, Delahey, Kulchar, Pym and Jackson return and give the D some stability. With the 6 returning d there may only be room for 2 rookies on the blue line.... left to battle for the spots are Byron Sorenson, Travis Sparrow, Koltyn Miller, Justin Slobozian and Jeff Dort. In my opinion Slobozian and Miller have the “inside track” on those final 2 spots. This is all taking into account Logan Pyett going Pro.... and if for some unforeseen miracle of him coming back my list is as follows.

1: Bartley
    2: Teubert
    3: Delahey
    4: Kulchar
    5: Pym
    6: Jackson
    7: Slobozian
    8: Miller
    9: Sorenson
    10: Sparrow
    11: Dort

Victor Bartley (1988): Has had an impressive camp. He’s been all over the ice and creating chances. I never realized how fast he actually is.... he’s no bullet but man he can skate. He’s definitely the Pats #1 d-man.

Colten Teubert (1990): Appears to have gained some bulk and is using it to his advantage. He’s been banging and crashing the whole camp. He’s still a bit of a wanderer out on the ice and has been pinching a lot (almost too much) and has been caught up ice a bit.

Matt Delahey (1989): For some reason is now wearing #44 (I know it’s camp but it’s intriguing... I think the last #44 we had was David Lylyk). Matt seems to have also put on some bulk and might have gained an inch or so in height. He’s been steady on the blueline. Still a true stay-at-home d-man.

Curtis Kulchar (1990): Must be doing something right as I never noticed any glaring mistakes. Has taken big strides with his play in the defensive zone. I don’t see him becoming a point producing d-man, will still be a top tier shut down d-man before long.

Alex Pym (1991): In all honesty he is almost a wash with Kulchar in most aspects except for physicality. It appeared as though he gained some mass and from what I heard his mom say... he gained some 25 pounds since last year (and is now around 205). I still don’t know what he will be.... offensive or defensive.... I think with time he will be a point producing d-man; will see this year.

Dallas Jackson (1989): I can’t get a very good read on Jackson.... one shift he looks like he is a veteran d-man that has the potential to rack up some big points on the blueline.... the next shift.... ouch.... Looks like he is skating in mud trying to figure out what’s happening on the ice. I still have high hopes for him.

Justin Slobozian (1992): Fairly small and speedy. He is actually very good in the defensive zone. He seems to know when to pinch and when not to pinch. I see a true point producing defenseman in the future for Justin. For being such a small-ish body has a very good shot.

Koltyn Miller (1991): Pretty much like Slobozian. Fairly small (doesn’t seem like he’s 6-1) and speedy. He’s very good defensively. The difference between him and Slobozian is that Miller will be more of the stay-at-home type of d-man (would be a perfect future D pair partner with Slobozian).

Byron Sorenson (1991): Yet another fairly small d-man that seems to be all about the defense. Could very well surprise and make this squad.

Travis Sparrow (1991): Fairly large d-man that wasn’t overly impressive. Not to say that he isn’t good or anything but I noticed him lost in the play at points. All in all he is a decent defensive presence but isn’t overly physical.

Jeff Dort (1990): I don’t have Dort rated very high as I seriously don’t see him making the team. At 5-9 or so and built like a truck he’s decent in his own zone and is not afraid to get physical. He reminds me of former Pat Gerad Adams in terms of play.

Forwards

I’m really glad I’m not picking the team this year as there will be (or should I say is) tough decisions. So much so I will rate Jordan Eberle as our top forward by far; some others have looked really good. Jordan Weal is super fast and super-skilled, MacAngus bangs and crashes like his normal self, Spencer Braaten would be an amazing addition to the Pats (if he stays), Clark Breitkreuz has been really impressive in both ends of the ice, Dominick Favreau has improved his game and could very well be a Pat, Kyle Mulder should have made the team last year and very well should be on the team this year, Garrett Mitchell has improved in strides (faster and hits harder and has a nasty shot). There are many others, here are notes on all of them (alphabetical):

Spencer Braaten (1990): Deceptively fast and is a sneaky stick handler. Has some serious offensive skills but is also very defensively responsible. Small in stature but plays big and is not afraid to take punishment in front of the net. I really hope he stays in Regina.

Clarke Breitkreuz (1991): I wasn’t sure what to expect from Breitkreuz... Hasn’t been overly exciting; but skates hard and is very good in both ends of the rink. Would have a good season if he was to make the team.

Ryan DePape (1988): Has had a decent camp – scoring-wise – but hasn’t improved his skating. Has looked sluggish at times but capitalizes on his many opportunities. I think he’s one of the odd-men-out.

Scott Doucet (1988): Has been playing many a shift with new Import Tomas Hrcina and there seems to be a somewhat of a connection between the two. Doucet has hardly lost any faceoffs in the scrimmages; either he’s that good or everyone else just has trouble winning faceoffs. I think he’s an OA this year.

Jordan Eberle (1990): Best player in camp. Now wearing #7 at least for camp. Either he has gotten faster or I just didn’t realize how fast he is. Playing some centre (with MacAngus and DePape) and looking pretty impressive all around. Could be a 50 goal season.

Josh Elder (1988): Pretty much the same as last year. Big and slow and has hands of stone when it comes to scoring. Not going to be a Pat for much longer in my opinion.

Dominick Favreau (1992): Has improved greatly since last year’s camp. Small and speedy. Not afraid to hit or be hit. Has some extremely good offensive skills. Could very well be a Pat this year.

Chad Filateau (1989): Reminds me a lot of Kirt Hill in terms of skill set. Decent defensively but would be more of a role player.... penalty killer type player.

Drew George (1991): Not overly impressive in any of the scrimmages but is pretty fast (and can take a check). Scored 2 empty net goals in the one scrimmage.

Cody Hanson (1990): Trying to hit everyone and everything in sight. Trying to crash and bang his way onto the Pats. I do have a few forwards ahead of him on the depth chart so I think he might be in tough to get a spot.

Kirt Hill (1988): I would love to see Hill make the team. He has the work ethic, the speed and the defensive skill to be the team top checker but as an OA I think he’s in tough to make the team (I would hate to be the ones making decisions). If he isn’t a Pat this year he will land on his feet somewhere.

Graham Hood (1992): Has gotten waaaay bigger and his skill has yet to catch up to his size. Has been crashing and banging but just doesn’t seem to be there yet. Has gotten better in the last couple days; but won’t make the team.

Tomas Hricina (1990): Has been pretty good in camp. Can’t really say too much but has an amazing shot and is a great puck handler. Can take a hit (thank goodness).

Todd Kennedy (1990): Big and crashing power forward. About the same as last year.... good 4th line crasher.

Brett Leffler (1989): Hopefully he can keep healthy.... er get healthy. Good bang and crasher. If he wasn’t such a health concern I think he would be the Pats’ captain.

Michael MacAngus (1988): Top line left winger. Eberle’s “left hand man” will make the team as an OA. Could and should have 20-30 goals this year.

Matt Marantz (1991): Yet another one of the Pats small skilled speedy forward. I think he will e in tough to make the team but has looked really good in the scrimmages I have seen.

Kenton Miller (1991): Has had another good camp. Could easily be a Pats penalty killer/4th line player and would be extremely at that role.

Garrett Mitchell (1991): Has been flying around in the scrimmages and hitting everything. In Sunday’s scrimmage someone roughed him up along the side boards which led to a scrap.... Mitchell tuned him in (the guys has been re-assigned).

Kyle Mulder (1991): I have liked this kid for 2 years now and I really hope he makes the team. He’s not flashy or overly great at one thing.... but very good at all aspects of the game.

Andrew Rieder (1992): Haven’t been overly impressed with him, but I think he has been out of his element against the bigger older guys. He is a good skater but seems to shy away from the contact. Another year playing midget will get him ready for next year’s camp.

Brent Struble (1991): Yet another small-ish skilled forward in the Pats system could very well make the team. He’s got an over abundance of speed and that can be a huge asset.

Matt Strueby (1989): I think his skill set has peaked. Just needs to be able to finish and he will be set. I like his willingness to compete and has even been hitting (a lot). Probably the Pats’ second line center.

Jordan Weal (1992): If anyone came close to being in the same galaxy as Jordan Eberle it’s this guy. He has gained some much needed weight (up to 169 I read somewhere). I have to say that this kid is probably one of the fastest skaters I have seen wear a Pats uniform in a long time. His skill set is up there with Eberle and has a howitzer for a shot. I will even say this.... Weal is better than Eberle was at 16.
    Last edited by nivek_wahs; 08-25-2008 at 12:41 PM.

With only four 19 year olds returning, the Pats are going to be a young team. I wonder how many 16's they will take. My guess is 3. Weal and Favreau, in my mind, are a given. I am also guessing that the 3rd will be a forward (enough depth at 17's on d).

Braaten will make this team. I can state that boldly. Lots of talent, fits into that 18 year old slot that the Pats badly need. And, Parker did everything but kiss the kid's grandmother to get him to sign with the Pats in the spring.

Mulder will also make this team. His improvement is the reason the Pats were able to trade away Brett Miller (1st rounder) last year. Mulder is a character guy and will do anything the team asks. Has an offensive upside, but is very responsible in the defensive end. I was surprised he didn't make the team last year, I thought he had a better camp than Strueby or Mitchell.

My interest is in Miller, Sorenson & Sparrow on defense (I don't think that Jackson is going to make the team, maybe at forward..). Marantz, Hood, D. Eberle & Daniels on forward.

This is going to be a reloading year for the Pats. But, I think they will be more than competitive. Given a few in season trades, they are going to have a terrific team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by witness
    Braaten will make this team. I can state that boldly. Lots of talent, fits into that 18 year old slot that the Pats badly need. And, Parker did everything but kiss the kid's grandmother to get him to sign with the Pats in the spring.
    I think he's a great talent.... I just hope he decides to stay. I know he has "signed" but until he plays that first exhibition game I will have the question "will he stay or will he go?"