The local Melville paper has done an update on both Paul Albers and Shaun Heshka. If you can remember these boys I think they should package themselves together to an NHL team.

Melville pair pursuing NHL dreams

Two Melville-born hockey players are getting a chance to play in the big show.
Paul Albers and Shawn Heshka are each making their way to National Hockey League tryout camps this weekend.
Albers is hoping the third time is the charm. He’s vying for a spot on the Minnesota Wild.
When asked about his chances for making the team Albers said, “there’s never an opening for anyone at this level. You have to make an opening for yourself. I just have to play hard.”
Albers has spent some time in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA League, Western Hockey League and American Hockey League. As of last year his was suiting up with the Houston Aeros.
Albers admits he’s always a little nervous with a chance to play in the NHL, but after a few kicks at the can he says he gets used to being around guys who have played in the league before.
“I’ve been training with NHLers over the summer. They’re all just regular guys who just happen to be playing at the next level. When you see it you can do it,” says the young defenseman.
Albers suffered an injury last year in the Wild’s rookie camp. Following that he was assigned to Houston in the AHL.
“All the coaches down there are former NHL coaches. They form you into a player at the next level. They have me playing a defensive system which involves taking a lot of the risk out of my game. “In the WHL I could take a lot of chances and get away with it, here you can’t do that.”
Shawn Heshka is also getting his third chance at cracking an NHL line-up. He’ll be heading out to Whistler for the Vancouver Canucks’ main camp.
“There’s a new GM and new management, so hopefully I can get a second look from them. The Canucks’ defensive core is pretty solid. They have six returning d-men so my chances aren’t the greatest, but I can’t really worry about that.
“I just have to play hard and hopefully I impress the coaches,” says Heshka.
Heshka has made his way up the ranks from his minor hockey in Melville, to one year with the Jr. A Millionaires, then three seasons with the Everett Silvertips in the WHL and most recently two seasons with the Manitoba Moose in the AHL.
“I’ve had some great coaches along the way. Leo Parker coached both Albers and me. He’s a great coach. We had a great group of guys in minor hockey. We pushed each other and were able to play at a high level.”
Heshka has been working on a few aspects of his game to boost his chances of making the Canucks’ squad.
“I needed to work on my foot speed and my consistentcy. I need to get faster too, it’s a different game at that level.”
Heshka has a scoring touch for a defenceman. He scored 30 points last year with the Moose.
“I like to play solid defensively but still offensive. I try to contribute to the rush as much as I can. I like playing the powerplay as well.”
Under new regulations NHL camps are shorter than ever. They’ll have three or four practices and scrimmages to prove to the coaching staffs that they belong at the next level.
“Sometimes it seems that the coaches have there minds made up before camp even starts. You just got to get out there and try regardless,” says Albers.