Thread: Rockets Acquire Kris Lazaruk

Default Rockets Acquire Kris Lazaruk

Rockets Acquire A New Goaltender
    September 20, 2008 - Ryan Watters

The Kelowna Rockets are pleased to announce that 20 year old goaltender Kris Lazaruk has been acquired from the Kootenay Ice for a conditional fourth round Bantam Draft pick in 2010.

Kris is a 6’1, 170 pound goaltender that is entering his fourth season in the Western Hockey League. He played in 51 games with the Ice last season, had an overall record of 26-17-2-2 with two shut outs. During the 2007-2008 playoffs Kris played in 10 games and had a record of 5-3-2 as the Ice defeated the Medicine Hat Tigers in five games in round one, before falling to the eventual Eastern Division champion Lethbridge Hurricanes in the second round.

Kelowna Rockets President/General Manager Bruce Hamilton says, ““We felt with Kris available, we should act on it and it was a position I had concerns about this season. Kris will add some experience to our goaltending position and I am excited about him being in our line-up tonight and this weekend."

Kris was acquired by the Kootenay Ice in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft in the seventh round as the 132nd pick overall. In three full seasons with the Ice, Kris had an overall record of 57-31-4-5 in 108 games.

Kris is now the second overage player on the Rockets roster, with Tysen Dowzak as the other.

Kris will join the Rockets immediately and will be in the line up tonight and tomorrow when Kelowna opens the 2008-2009 regular season in Tri-City and Portland.

KRIS LAZARUK POSITION – Goaltender
    HOMETOWN – Edmonton, AB (June 30, 1988)
    HEIGHT – 6’1 WEIGHT - 170

Lazaruk should help you to contend for a conference title...
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

He was pretty shaky tonight. Looked a little nervous and was having a hard time controlling rebounds. Three of the five goals tonight were on rebounds I believe.
    May have just been nerves. Probably a pretty hectic last few days for the kid.

What happens to Jung now?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
    What happens to Jung now?
    My guess is Jung and Lazaruk split the duties until one of them proves better than the other. I wonder what will happen to 17 y.o. Adam Brown as he is now 3rd on the depth chart.

If Lazaruk plays for you guys like he did against us last year in the playoffs, you just got a lot better. We beat them 4 games to 1 but Lazaruk was great.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Post Torrie Jung

It will be a sad day today as Torrie Jung says goodbye to his teammates. Jung will clean out his locker before heading to Nanaimo. Jung will sit at home as the Rockets work out a trade.

Ryan Huska, when speaking to Doyle Potenteau of the Kelowna Daily Courier following the loss to Tri-City, said "Hopefully Torrie can find another spot to play. He‘s good goalie, and sometimes guys need a fresh start, a new place to play. I‘m sure he‘ll get an excellent opportunity where ever he goes."

Quote Originally Posted by Malc
    It will be a sad day today as Torrie Jung says goodbye to his teammates. Jung will clean out his locker before heading to Nanaimo. Jung will sit at home as the Rockets work out a trade.

Ryan Huska, when speaking to Doyle Potenteau of the Kelowna Daily Courier following the loss to Tri-City, said "Hopefully Torrie can find another spot to play. He‘s good goalie, and sometimes guys need a fresh start, a new place to play. I‘m sure he‘ll get an excellent opportunity where ever he goes."
    Is he leaving of his own volition, or the Rockets asked him to leave?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Post Jung calls split amicable; ready for new start

A business decision. That‘s what Torrie Jung calls the Kelowna Rockets‘ latest roster move.

Of course, Jung could have called it something else, considering the Rockets surprisingly dropped him like a hot potato on Saturday for another goaltender. But the 19-year-old from Nanaimo took the high road and said trades happen.

“Was I surprised at what happened? Yeah, a little bit,” Jung said of Kelowna‘s decision to drop him from its roster and bring in 20-year-old Kris Lazaruk from the Kootenay Ice to be the Rockets‘ new No. 1 goaltender.

“But, honestly, hockey‘s a business, and you have to expect things are going to happen,” continued Jung. “Not necessarily to yourself, but that trades eventually happen. So am I surprised? No, not really.”

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/to....php?id=135879