Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news?

Default Any news?

Whats the latest rumor or truth about the Ams staying in Tri-Cities. Is Porters support and sponsors still on board?
    Drop the Puck

Default Whats up in Tri?

I got word today that the group of 14 have sent a second proposal to the league on their intentions to buy the Americans. They have also sent letters to all the teams on their proposal. The problem is Porter i'm told seems disinterested in selling and is not returning calls. Herminston Fan: Have you got any word on this?

Scout

I havent been on the computer much the last few days but I'll see what I can dig up. If anyone would know it would be Brad but he has been a little scarce around here lately. Its a shame too, He's about the most knowledgable hockey guy I've ever met.
    As for Porter, I guess he'd rather go broke running the team into the ground than breaking even selling it to DEDICATED owners. I guess that blows his whole story of wanting to relocate for financial hardships endured in Tri. I still think the only reason he bought the team in the first place was to try to relocate it to western B.C.
    Last edited by HAF; 04-08-2005 at 06:38 AM.

I heard an interview last night on the ICE game from Big Ed Chenowyth, he said this will all be decided by the end of the week. To make his interview short he basicly said that there is still options the league is looking at.
    A. The americans could still go to Chiliwack
    B. The Americans buying group could get a expansion franchise bringing 21 teams to the league, while the curent owners would be able to move the Ams franchise to the Chiliwack area.
    C. The Edmonton deal is still on the table to buy any franchise for 4 million.

Many options still on the table for the comisioners to look at from what I heard the bottom line is that the curent owners are going to have to be forced to make a decision as they feel that they are now sitting ducks in TriCity and can not make it there as there trust with the fans is gone.

I hope that the TriCity area can still keep the franchise there or get a expansion and keep local owners at the helm. It will all be done for this year anyway by the end of the week acording to Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper
    B. The Americans buying group could get a expansion franchise bringing 21 teams to the league, while the curent owners would be able to move the Ams franchise to the Chiliwack area.
    If they are going to award an expansion franchise, they should let the current AMs team stay, and give the expansion team to Chilliwack.

Hardly seems fair to make Tri-cities start all over again.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

I agree Beaner! Why should the Ams have to start from scratch. From what I was hearing If they decide to go with 21 teams there may be a year lapse for the team awarded the expansion. imo that should be the lame duck ownership that put themselves in this position. If there is 21 teams this will also mean an unbalanced division and Big Ed said he would insist on being back in the Central division again.... The drama continues.

As an Ams fan I can definately say that I am sick and tired of the gut aches and drama. They tell us we're here for at least one more year yet they wont put season tickets for 05-06 on sale yet. They say the deadline for any moves has already passed for this year yet they turn right around and say they will "Do whatever sees fit" . There maybe only 3,000 or so of us really committed fans here in TC but dont we deserve better than this? I think we do. I think the board of Commissioners need to jump in and force Porter to sell. An undisclosed amount has been offered by the local group yet Porter would rather completely run the Ams into the ground rather than break even and go on to some other business oportunities. At the same time Porter wont promote this team and has made sure it will fail.
    as much as I love my hometown team, maybe the expansion is what we really need to have a fresh start and put some of this negative energy behind us. Contrary to what anyone says, TC is a hockeytown and a very good market if only given the oportunity. Give us ownership that wants to make it work and put a winning team on the ice for a season or two and you'd be amazed what type attendance you'd see.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper
    I agree Beaner! Why should the Ams have to start from scratch. From what I was hearing If they decide to go with 21 teams there may be a year lapse for the team awarded the expansion. imo that should be the lame duck ownership that put themselves in this position. If there is 21 teams this will also mean an unbalanced division and Big Ed said he would insist on being back in the Central division again.... The drama continues.

Yep I would agree with Big Ed 100% on moving the Ice back to the Central since they dont play in the BC Division anyway.

And, Hermiston, I sympathize with you about this. This is no way to run a team, let alone a league.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Brad Guest

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information than you have Hermiston Ams Fan. Porter and Burke appear to be running the show from Vancouver and I don't think anyone here, even in the AMS office, has a clue what the future holds.

Part of me wants them to stay, but part of me wants them to go, we can implode the building, scorch the earth and start from scratch. Maybe when Olie and Stu have retired, bring in an ECHL team in a new 10,000 seat arena.

Freebird32 Guest

Looking at this logically, I would think that the board has already decided and made a decision when they voted 11-9. If they go ahead and move that would open the door for lawsuits. Now does Robison really want another franchise added to the league? He has already stated many times no. He likes the way the format is now. So with that all said it would be logical for Porter to come crawling back to the town and suck up to the locals. Do I want this to happen? HECK NO!!!!! I want the group of 14 to buy the team. I have already pledged to them $2000.00 Porter is going to have to sell the team in the long run. No way can he make any money from the loyal fans for what he has done. Perhaps that is his plan. Trying it one more year and showing the Board that he is losing money and can not keep his team in TRI and applying for the move again next year with more ammunition. Now if he wants to be a nice guy then he sells the team to the group, if he wants to make money then he needs to take the Edmonton offer, and if he wants to be a jerk, then he keeps the franchise here and runs it in the ground to get what he really wants and thats a move to Chilliwack. Hmmmm what would you do if you were in his shoes??? Logical solution.... sell to the highest bidder and push for a expansion team that he can have in Chilliwack.