Thread: Pats vs. Rebels

Default Pats vs. Rebels

What can I say? Tons of effort tonight from every Rebel on the ice. As well, a little redemption for a few players who had bad games last game (like Petrovic). The Rebels dominated nearly every aspect of this game for a good part of the game, badly outshooting the visitors in this one. And because it was such a strong showing by the team as a whole on this night, it was really sad to see the game entirely decided by yet another blown call by the on-ice officials--this time the linseman totally blowing the offside call on the Pats lone goal of regulation.

The best player on the ice tonight was easily Damien Ketlo, he pretty much was the Pats entire defense for long stretches in this game. They have a gem of a goaltender there. I see why a lot of the Regina fans think that Rowat or Bosch's days are numbered.

The Mappin/Ferraro/Polak line was dangerous as well, particulary Ferraro, who in addition to scoring the Rebels' only goal, threw a handful of stiff checks as well. I thought that the Eberle/Weal/whatshisname line was dangerous at times as well, though they were more individual efforts when they were. He didn't see nearly as much traffic, but Kuemper made a few excellent saves

The lone fight of the night saw Archer dropping the gloves with Mitchell. Pretty close scrap throughout, with Archer getting the slight edge with a number of unanswered clubbing rights towards the end of the fight. Thumbs down to the big man Teubert for declining a dance invitation from Esposito not once, but twice. Espo hasn't won a lot of his fights (or any?) this season so far, either time could have been a chance for Teubert to get his team going.

yah it really was a one sided game. the third was a little more even, but was even at best. the first two periods were all Rebels. There goalie quite simply held them in there. And then of course the linesman blows the game by somehow not seeing what literally everybody in that rink saw. clearly 3-4 inches over.

it seems like this is looking a lot like last year, but i can honestly say that we have deserved to win atleast 4 of the 7 we have lost (only watched one of the road games, but from all account we played very well). Last year it was more try to stay in games and hopefully get a fluke goal to win it. We clearly have played as good or better than the opposition in 80% of the games this year. it really is too bad they havent seen the results.

However, like sutter said, there will be some growing pains to start the season, but things will come together. i for one already see it. They skate very well, passes are being made, and the team is making good decisions with the puck. One break our way and i see know reason why this team cant be in playoff position in a couple weeks. keep er going boys, playing great.

Rebel66 Guest

Good post SND. We should make this a habit after every game and generate some more quality posts on this Rebels forum. It's too quiet around here nowadays.

I actually made it to the game tonight and I thought the Rebels played a whale of a game. They deserved the win and were robbed of it by poor officiating and an outstanding display by the Pats goalie who, inexplicably, was not named one of the stars! What game was the person who picked the stars watching? He was the sole reason the Pats were even in the game at all.

The Rebels dominated this one for the most part. I really like the way Ferraro is developing. He is close to becoming the player we expected when we drafted him so highly. He will be a star in this league soon.

Really impressed with the entire team actually. There were no passengers.

If only we could win some of these shootouts. Those four losses turned into wins and this is a decent record for the Rebs. Last season we relied on the SO wins, need to get our goalies making some saves in them! What was our Finn thinking with his effort. Slapshot that missed badly. Ouch. Bad way to lose.

All in all though I've no complaints; they win more than they lose if they play that way on a consistent basis. Only a stellar performance by the, starless, Ketlo denied them their deserved victory. The Pats will know that they owe their stopper big time for this win.

Thanks for the great comments SND. Keep them coming. And where the heck are the rest of you? Come on people. I know you're out there!!!! Shiny, tiny, rdreb et al. I really enjoy your insights too, as I'm sure other people do too. Let's start getting them!!!!!!! vc178

edit: I was going to mention hockey4 too but, there you go, some good comments while I was finishing my rant! Seriously though there are some quality posters out there that we're not hearing from. I miss the good old days, let's get them back!
    Last edited by Rebel66; 10-18-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Also to add to my earlier comments, I can now say that I have seen the Rebels play hockey in the 3rd period this season! It can be done, whatever you guys are doing in practice, keep doing it!

I thought that the only reason that Kelto didn't get a star was because he didn't have to make to many quality saves he made the first save and the defense did the rest. I thought Mappin was a beast last night. He was hard to knock off the puck. Ferraro ws awesome, he skated well and threw a few checks. How about the check thrown behind the Rebels net by Kot. It was a crappy call on Polak to give the Pats the powerplay. It was a close call at the line and the linesman was out of position anyways. Being a linesman myself you gt a lot of flack on the close calls. But other then that it was a very well played game by the Rebels. They also had a lot of shots that missed the net. They have also been fanning on alot of shots that almost cost them. I thought the best line for Regina was the Eberle/Weal/Doucet. They were the only line that put pressure on the Rebels. I like Adam Kambeitz, he really impresses me with his speed and he isn't afraid to hit.
    Hopefully we get a win in regulation tonight.

Default The difference

I am "almost" thoroughly enjoying the season (at least compared to last year. Almost ... because I think we deserve a better record than we have (six of our losses have been by one goal, shoot-out, or one goal and an empty netter.) Tonight's goal against on a missed call by the linesman. Although I get frustrated with the close losses, this group shows promise.

This team showed that they are not a "patch-work" team that we saw last year. There are no loafers and I haven't heard of any players making poor decisions away from the rink. (congrats coaches)

Last night ...
    There is a growing confidence in our goaltenders who have played quite consistently. I thought Kuemper made a few great saves in regulation time including stoning a Pat on break-a-way.

Kot had a much improved game last night and made a difference on the PP. His passes had some zip and purpose.

Coetzee is becoming a favorite with his speed and hustle. He is so much stronger this year. He is helping Esposito become more than just muscle. When he starts to make the cut to the net after hooping opposition D, he will score a bunch. I didn't notice much from Smith or Gross.

Ferraro's goal last night was a highlight reel shot. The pass from behind the net was one-timed to the top corner so fast Ketlo had no chance. (Most passes last night were much crisper which made the breakout and PP much more effective.)

Mappin's board work is becoming a real strength for the team. If he can start getting the passes away a little quicker, that line will score a bunch. I sometimes wonder if he could work the boards just as effectively and have two hands on his stick??? Polak appears to be working hard but sometimes it isn't effective and he coughs the puck up on the boards quite a bit.

The defence, as a group, did a good job of keeping the shots by the Pats to a minimum and kept most shots to the outside except for the break-a-way and a couple of times with the "Eberle, Weal, and What's his name". Kivisto needs to keep his shots from looking like Valach's (missing the net by eight feet.

Three after-thoughts ...
    I kept track of the faceoffs last night. As SND said, we won about one third of the faceoffs and some of the ones we drew back, we lost the puck to the opposition forward who cut through first.

Although there were 5100 tickets sold, there were a lot of empty seats. I hope the win-loss record doesn't make this trend continue. I love a full house.

Kambietz will develop into a quality player.

Rebel66 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    Although there were 5100 tickets sold, there were a lot of empty seats. I hope the win-loss record doesn't make this trend continue. I love a full house.
    I commented at the game how I couldn't believe how empty the arena was, especially for a Friday night. This team appears night and day to last season's group, except for results. They deserve our support. That was a bad turnout by the fans last night.

Thx for the comments tiny, I always enjoy your input. Keep them coming! Like I've said before this should be a regular feature after games. We have some quality Rebel fans out there and we need to hear from them.

Let's hope for a better result tonight.