Thread: Anyone have some thoughts on this weekend's games?

Rebel66 Guest

Default Anyone have some thoughts on this weekend's games?

I couldn't make either game so was interested to hear people's comments regarding the losses. The person who had my tickets basically said that Clark had a rough game on Sunday. Anybody care to elaborate?

On Saturday, as far as I am aware, the Rebels lost all but one of their faceoffs, but managed to keep the play pretty close for most of the game. Very poor backchecking by the forwards in this game cost them big time (Polak seemed to be doing the best job at backchecking, and he is not known for that).

In Sunday's game, there was a lot of nice plays, good breakouts, and good offensive pressure for both teams--right up until the last 2 minutes of penalty kill on Mappin's major. 2 goals back to back about in a minute, and all the Rebel skaters just came completely apart (and brought Clark along with them).

Some general observations in these two games.

First the bad. Their penalty kill continues to be abysmal, and I am still waiting to watch them play hockey in the 3rd period this season. Morin was flat out awful in his own end, and did everything short of putting 3 or 4 goals in his own net for the other team this weekend. He looked good with the puck on his stick, and on the powerplay in the other end, but his presence is starting to cost this team games. Petrovic must have gotten beat to the outside about a dozen times in Sunday's game, and it really didn't help that he was paired with Morin on a few of them. I think this will work itself out once Weller returns, and Petrovic starts to see a more appropriate amount of ice time. Aside from trying to pick a fight with McCue, Smith was once again completely invisible in this game--he is going to stick on this team as an overage by putting up points, not by getting punched out by a guy who has 6 inches and 60lbs on him. Much like last season, I would prefer to see a younger player playing on the 3rd and 4th lines, rather than one that won't be back next season, or alternatively for our overage players to be our better players.

And the good... The team itself is spending about as much time in the offensive end as they are in the defensive end, and the shots reflect this. The line of Ferraro, Mappin and Polak continue to carry the team offensively. I thought Penny was once again the only forward that appeared to be even remotely trying to kill penalties. Mappin taking on one of their overage players and participating in the only real fight of the evening that wasn't just a wrestling match was good, unfortunately he must have forgot that he had a cut on his thumb taped. Egener stuck up for Ferraro, and got what I think must be his first fighting major in the WHL! Wasn't really a fight, but you have to give him some credit for stepping up, as fighting clearly isn't a big part of his game. Kivisto continued to get good position on his man, and is starting to get better at not wandering out of position. Archer made some excellent defensive plays to bail out Petrovic on a few occasions on Sunday. Kot is starting to get his game back slowly, throwing some huge hits (well, huge for a little guy!) in the 3rd on Sunday. I think that they are not going to be able to be competitive with 2 smallish defensemen that are not overly strong, like Morin and Kot--and one of them won't be with the team past the trade deadline.

Rebel66 Guest

Thanks so much for that SND. I can always count on you to come through with some opinions.

As I probably won't be there this weekend either I'll be counting on you again! Hey, here's a thought why don't you simply post a recap after each game then I won't have to come begging!!!!

Anybody else want to chime in? Where are all the good Rebels posters we used to have? Jumped off a sinking ship or what?

Iconcup

Sorry, can't jump or I would fall down. Sec-N said it all and I believe he caught just about everything. I, for one, am waiting for the TEAM to play. Lots of good efforts from lots of individuals. When they get the concept of TEAM down, the Rebs should start to make progress !!
    Just my $0.23 worth !! applause

A few other observations this past weekend that I forgot to mention... I was really looking forward to seeing Brayden Schenn play, having heard a lot about him but not seeing much of him with Brandon not making many stops here. He looked completely disinterested in playing, and did nothing in the game but take a couple of lazy penalties. I did like what I saw from Glennie and Hale was a physical force in that game though.

Also some kudos to Brett Ferguson for breaking up a few plays in front of the net (for some of the absentee defensemen that were supposed to be there). I like this kid's hockey sense.

I missed the game Saturday but on Sunday I thought they were the better team up until the 2 ppgs that Brandon got in about a minute. Not that the Rebels were that good but Brandon just didn't seem to be in the game at all. I agree with SND, the Rebels have to find away to improve their pk because right now it is killing them. Bottom line for me is that the Rebels really have to out work teams to be successful because imo outside the first line they lack some skill. I don't think they are as good as they started but they probably not as bad as this game 6 losing streak.