Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Cougars will never succeed in P.G.

Default Why Cougars will never succeed in P.G.

In Jim Swanson's, Prince George Citizen,article he takes a shot at, an obviously weak draft record by the Cougars over the past years but fails to mention the 1992 year ( 2007 draft ) EXCEPT to say who is not here
    ( 2nd rounder Hirsche and 3rd rounder Kiziuk ).
    As Dennis Miller would say, "I dont want to get off on a rant here, but......"

With #1 pick Brett Connelly tied for team scoring, 11 round pick Nick Bounassisi getting time at centre on the #1 and #2 lines
    ( deservedly ), 7th Round pick Bruin McDonald as the #6/7th defenseman and only -2 on a team that has given up 60 plus goals, and 15th round pick Greg Fraser filling a grinding 3rd and 4th line role it seems like the Cougars are getting quite a bit of mileage from the 2007 draft.

Is it not possible for there to be some balance, not only by the fans in Prince George, but also in the media?

Again it is obvious why parents do not want their kids to play, and players do not want to play in P.G.....,and it is NOT the management...., it is the community, fans, and media, MOST of whom only want to complain and tear down rather than build and support.

It is my belief that Jim Swanson just flat out does not like the Cougars. Even when they are winning he still finds something negative to say about the team, the players and the coach/management. Half the time with his articles you have to wonder if he was even at the game. You read it and are like which game were you watching buddy, I was there and thats not what I saw at all.

Coaching is a big issue on the team in my books. After watching several of there games on webtv the fundamentals are not there.
    How many times does it take for a defender to take the puck from the d men trying to carry it out before realizing you should throw it up to your fwds or dump it in. When they do try that they wait till the last minute and by this time the offensive player is already picked up or it is intercepted for a odd man rush the other way. Drove me nuts.
    Also, on the powerplay, the number 1 line plays the full 2 minutes most of the time.
    Both Hunt and Deagle should be on this team still...sure hunt may have had a attitude about not getting much ice however that is once again where the coaches come in.
    Armstrong is great, i read a article about him not playing good on the road. He is superb until they are down by 3 or more goals. At this point its alot harder to stay focused.
    Back to the D-men... I cant stand watching 2 on 2 into our zone. The defense back right up into armstrongs lap. Not only does this screen him, but it gives the shooters way more room to work with.
    And last but not least, the penalties. This, in my oppinion is 100% coaching. Sure there will be calls here and there that are an ok penalty to take. For example, a roughing where both get sent. But the cross checks slashing and tripping are due to being lazy and un diciplined. In med hat, cougars down by 1 with 6 min left in the third they start to get some momentum. and either Cepek or Jackson (i cant remember) nails someone from behind taking a 5 min penalty. Might as well call it game over.
    Connolly is great to watch. He makes smart plays and knows how to score.
    Tyrell, despite sometimes neglecting to pass to a open guy for a shot is a powerful offensive player with potential to score everytime he is on the ice.
    Calguiri is also a above average goal tender in my oppinion.
    Scherger= Dion Phaneuf, some huge hits, gets the team going and plays smart. With some teaching he could be a top D man.
    Maylan, I still dont understand his role, when he is on the ice he makes plays and sets up goals however hes been a 3rd/4th liner for half the season.
    Stanfield, Real go getter...gives it 100%. lacks some talent however it is made up for with his hussle.

Oppinions???

Did Swanson mention all of the draft picks that refused to play in PG as well?

I can't remember who it was last year....SmileyJones or The Flying Moose who watched many of the PG practices and said they were a joke. I'm pretty sure the team went entire years without a Goalie Coach too, or had one in name but not in body.

I think the whole poor attitude trickles down from the fact that the community HATES the owners and the fact that they have hired family and friends to manage, run and coach the team. I'm thinking if they weren't family/friends, there would have been a change by now, regardless of fault. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.
    For What It's Worth

Default Let's stop beating a dead horse.

If/when the team starts winning, this will all be moot. I really have a hard time imagining that management is happy about the situation either. Have you ever thought that maybe no coaches/management wants to come to PG either? Maybe Brodsky has his hands tied?? Just a thought. PG has developed a climate for losing the last couple of seasons and I can't see how thet could possibly attract any bonafide winning management teams. Do you?
    A PROUD MEMBER OF LEAF NATION

to answer your questions....Wouldnt a coach rather go to a team with a losing record so that he can turn things around, he can put his own rules and strategies into place etc...
    You go to a winning team and you cant change a thing. If the team starts to lose it looks 100% your fault.

Current coaching could turn it around, Win or Lose, they might want to learn more about there team and become the teachers they are paid to be.

Icon34 Money Talks

Maybe if they were willing to shell out some dough they could attract good coaches. You need to spend $ to make $.

Maybe the rumblings are true and the Ownership is happy with what is happening. Could they be trying to run the team into the ground on purpose so that they can move?
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    Maybe if they were willing to shell out some dough they could attract good coaches. You need to spend $ to make $.

Maybe the rumblings are true and the Ownership is happy with what is happening. Could they be trying to run the team into the ground on purpose so that they can move?
    i've heard from more than one person the rumor that the team is moving to bellingham in the next couple of seasons.

Where is Bellingham? Do you think if you could pick up the entire community of PG and plop it further south that things would be drasically different? I often wonder if the logistics of simply location, creates many problems for this team.
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    Where is Bellingham? Do you think if you could pick up the entire community of PG and plop it further south that things would be drasically different? I often wonder if the logistics of simply location, creates many problems for this team.
    Bellingham is in the US just south of the border from Vancouver.

I don't think location is as big an issue as its made out to be. I think it simply boils down to people not being able to afford it as much and if they can afford it they don't want to support the Brodsky's. I meam we had 2200+ at last nights game. How many other teams could have the start the Cougars did and then go on to lose 9 of the next 10 games and have nothing happen in the front office? I don't see that happening in Kamloops or Vancouver or Chilliwack. Those places the management is held responsible and if you don't produce you are gone or at least dealt with.