Thread: Under018 Team

Default Under-18 Team

I need clarification on just what BIRTH YEAR represents Canada at the tourney starting next week.

Is it 88 or 87?

Am just confused! (no blonde comments please!! LOL!)

Kristi
    Last edited by Kristi; 04-04-2005 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo in subject

I believe its birth year of 87. Jan 1 to Dec 31 for most tourny's like this, but NHL draft elegiable are 18 before July 1 (I think) to be taken.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sput
    I believe its birth year of 87. Jan 1 to Dec 31 for most tourny's like this, but NHL draft elegiable are 18 before July 1 (I think) to be taken.

Ok now I'm even more confused because I looked at last years roster for the same tourney and they were all 87 born!

NHL Draft have to be born before September 17 (or somewhere around that date) of the year prior to their draft year. Zach Hamill in Everett is no eligible until 2006 because of this rule he was born too late in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Sput

As far as I can find out it's by birth year only. According to Hockey Canada,

"Canada's 2005 World Championship Under-18 Team will be comprised of players under 18 years old (born in 1987) whose teams are not playing in either the CHL, Junior A or collegiate playoffs."

I looked at the Roster for 2004, all the players were born in '86, so for 2005, the year is '87.

The NHL draft age limitation is 18 before Sept.15th, even though the draft is held before that date.
    Last edited by Beaner; 04-05-2005 at 10:32 AM.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Default Thanks!

I am glad I am not going completely crazy but I could have sworn the roster I looked at was 87's! Oh well!

Kristi

Kristi, the problem is that there are two different tournaments, hence the confusion.

One, the official IIHF World Under-18 Hockey Championship (the U-18 equivalent of the U-20 WJC in December) is always in April (= at the or toward the end of the season).

The other one is the Summer International Under-18 Tournament, nowadays called the U18 Jr. World Cup, which is in August (= at the beginning of the season).

That means that the players eligible to participate at the U18 Jr. World Cup in August 2004 are also the one that are eligible to play in the World Under-18 Hockey Championship in April 2005 .

So '87s for the tournament next week, but '88s for the one this summer.

great explaination!! it definately makes sense now
    GO ICE GO !!!