Thread: WHL Fighter Rankings

Default WHL Fighter Rankings

I've held off and held off some more in hopes that the rankings this season would clear up and I could get a real good feel as they have in the past. It hasn't really happened. I have a good feel for the top 4 or so and after that it's as tough as it's ever been to make a real accurate list. Your input is welcome. If you have a question on a guy I'm happy to give you my non homer, unbiased opinion. Here are the rankigns:

1. Matt McCue-Medicine Hat

Well, I guess the second you become the number 1 guy you get signed to a pro contract. McCue's there based on his improvement over the last year and 2 great showings vs. my preseason #1, Ryley Grantham.

2. Ryley Grantham-Moose Jaw

Looks like he gets the top spot back now based on McCue moving up. Grantham's bick and he's tough. He goes after the rookies a little more than I like my number 1 guy to do but he's still tough and takes on all comers.

3. Mitch McColm-Tri City

Here's a guy that finished real strong last year and moves up the rankings because so many tough guys have graduated. I have him unbeaten in 9 fights this year.

4. Sena Acolatse-Seattle

I have him unbeaten in 8 fights this season and only with 1 close loss in his WHL career. If he were 5 inches taller he'd be the number one guy. He's beefy though and that strength makes up for it. I'd like for him to have a few more solid wins against top competition but let's face it, the overall toughness isn't what it was 5 years ago. The big heavyweight matchups now are few and far between.

5. Rigby Burgart-Calgary

One of my new favorites. You gotta love the little guys that will throw with anyone and find a way to come out on top. 16 scraps this season with the only blemish on his record being a close loss to Ben Wright (20 yr old).

6. Taylor Jordan-Portland

This ranking is where it gets a little iffy. Jordan's a big, tough kid for sure but is he worthy of a number 6 ranking? In most years I'd say No, but this year maybe. He might be a little high because I put alot in his great showing vs. Donaghy this year, a guy I really like. And then he goes out and has a poor showing against Partik Bhungal, a guy that i've never been a big fan of. Like I said, after about #4 these rankings could change big by the end of the season.

7. Dustin Donaghy-Spokane

Seems every time I do a ranking someone from Spokane tells me Reddington's the toughest on that team. I don't see it plus he isn't ever active enough to crack the list. He broke Beach's nose, so what, Cody Smuk's KO over Beach was more impressive but nobody talks about him being that tough. Enough on Reddington. I actually like him as a player and he's a tough kid, just not list worthy. Anyhow, everyone who's read my rankings in the past knows I love Donaghy. The activity level is higher and he's still a very exciting fighter to watch. I'd put him with Acolatse but I can't ignore that he didn't take care of Jordan and the quality of competition still could be better.

8. Ben Wright-Lethbridge

It has to be hard to watch Lethbridge and know that you have 2 of the toughest guys around in King and Wright, but neither fights nearly as much as a fight fan would like. King might be number 1 if he fought more. Wright's stepped it up a bit this year. I ranked him higher originally but he's just not active enough. He could move up with a few good showings against a little better competition.

9. Mike Reich-Saskatoon

At least I think he's still on Saskatoon, it's sometimes hard to keep track with this bad boy that tends to wear out his welcome from time to time. As a fight fan you have to love his attitude. He's a tough one to peg though. Great showings against some top competition and some not so good showings in his career against lesser competition. His rankingis based more on what he can do on any given night. I have him unbeaten this season against mediocre competition.

10. Ian Schultz-Calgary

I'm not a huge fan but he's big, he's active, and he doesn't lose. Given that many a Schultz fight goes by with alot of punches thrown by Schultz but he doesn't seem to land many. More show than go in my humble, non homer, unbiased opinion. Nice goal on the penalty shot last night though. Unfortunately that doesn't move you up on the tough guy list.

11. John Stampohar-Medicine Hat

What, an American? Yes, that's rare. I applaud his improvement and willingness to mix it up this season. Started strong, went down with injury, and now he's back. I like his chances of moving up in the 2nd half.

12. Cole Grbavac-Kamloops

My other favorite newcomer. This kid really has a future as a scrapper. He's had some great wars so far this season. Let's hope he can keep it up as he's really fun to watch.

13. Chad Erb-Brandon

It seems wrong to have Erb on the list but he's always been active, always been a gamer, and enough guys have graduated that Erb cracks the list. You know, Reich is the only guy still in the league to own a victory over Erb. That's hard to ignore. You can't rank a guy down this year for losing against guys from other years that aren't around anymore. I feel I have to rank him on chances against current opponents.

14. Chris Cloud-Seattle

What a disappointing fight season from Cloud so far. He's still this high based on what he did last season more than this one. Still owns victories over McCue, Reich, and Teubert in the past and despite his less than stellar season thus far, you can't ignore what he's done and is still capable of.

15. Alex Plante-Calgary

Big kid that's really stepped it up in the physical department. He's no world beater but I think this ranking works in a year like this.

16. Jesse Pearson-Edmonton

Another of my new faves. Active rookie would be ranked higher if he'd have shown better against Thiessen. Solid future again here.

17. Teigan Zahn-Saskatoon

Another kid that I'll applaud and reward for his nice job stepping up the fisticuffs this season. Solid showings against some big boys in Esposito and Darragh.

18. Mitch Versteeg-Lethbridge

I love the way he plays. A guy that lays the big hit, then often times has to answer the bell because of it.

19. Scott Ramsay-Chilliwack

Alot of underrated toughness on this Bruin team. I liked Ramsay in the couple of preseason fights I saw of his and he hasn't disappointed in the regular season either.

20. Brayden McNabb-Kootenay

I like this kid's future too. He's a 91 that lays the body and drops the gloves.

HONRABLE MENTION: Here are some others that got consideration but came up short either due to inactivity, lack of a fight card, or lack of good wins:

Mitchell-Regina
    Sommers-Moose Jaw
    Letts-Spokane
    Barteaux-Kootenay
    Bhungal-Chilliwack
    Hale-Brandon
    Gogol-Kelowna
    Esposito-Red Deer
    Halliday-Prince George
    Thiessen-Prince Albert
    Bouma-Vancouver
    Abney-Everett
    Baldwin-Spokane

Thanks for reading. Feedback will be welcomed.

---TIPMAN

Thanks for the new rankings!

I never think of Ben Wright as a fighter, but whenever he drops the gloves, it's usually a win (except against McCue this month of course) nice to see him in the top 10

As a Canes fan, I also wish Dwight King would fight more, I've seen him hang in there with Matt Kassian in a fight...and in the past year, dominate a couple other guys! (including a beauty KO on Colton Gillies) He is just too nice of a guy to fight when needed I guess.

Also, I know Cody Castro is 16 and loses most of his fights...but he will be on your list Im sure within in a year or two...I have the utmost repsect for him after he willingly dropped the gloves with Ryley Grantham this month knowing he'd likely get KO'ed...and unfortunately did within 3-4 seconds!

vci33

Default Thanks for the original post, it was an enjoyable read!!!

When McCue was still here in Bdn this season, he and Grantham had an epic fight that lasted a minute and went across the width of the ice, i was impressed with both of them.
    Erb is a gamer, he's a middleweight but he'll take on anyone to protect the young guys, will never be a top fighter but you have to admire his grit.
    Lewadniuk is a good lightweight, Aulie is like Wright, doesn't fight much but does well when he drops them. Beat Schultz easily earlier this season.
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Default Top (2) Two

Really tough to argue with your one and two spots. I saw these two fight in Brandon earlier in the year and although McCue controlled much of the fight Grantham landed a big time upper cut towards the end of the fight that cut McCue and just about put him down. Split decision to McCue but real close and the best fight I've seen in a couple of years.

One guy not mentioned on your list; Devon Leblanc from the Thunderbirds is a middleweight (6-2 and 170) that doesn't fight a whole bunch can can really chuck the nuckles when he has to.

Good list and enjoyable reading, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Section Eight

Really tough to argue with your one and two spots. I saw these two fight in Brandon earlier in the year and although McCue controlled much of the fight Grantham landed a big time upper cut towards the end of the fight that cut McCue and just about put him down. Split decision to McCue but real close and the best fight I've seen in a couple of years.

One guy not mentioned on your list; Devon Leblanc from the Thunderbirds is a middleweight (6-2 and 170) that doesn't fight a whole bunch can can really chuck the nuckles when he has to.

Good list and enjoyable reading, thanks.
    Leblanc looks a lot heavier than 170 to me....He was a physical force last time in Bdn with Seattle. He did lose a bar fight (in Houstons) to Dupont a few summers ago though!!!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.