Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do at the Deadline?

Sad reality is we are not in the same talent level as Calgary, Lethbridge, Brandon or Saskatoon in the East Conf. Also the Pats will do their yearly attempt to win something (which will lead to their annual January training camp).
    That doesn't include the West.
    So we may as well continue to build around our 16-18 yr old talent.
    Ideally if we could get an amazing 16/17 yr old tender it would be a good deadline.

Speaking of young goalies, does anyone know much more about this Andrew Hunt kid? Found a recent article on the WHL's website.

Broncos Prospect Andrew Hunt named B.C. Major Midget League Player of the Month
    January 7, 2009 []

BC Hockey announced today that Greater Vancouver Canadians goaltender Andrew Hunt has been named the Major Midget League Player of the Month for December. Hunt finished the month of December with a 2-0 record, a 1.00 GAA and a .980 save percentage. In addition to his outstanding play Andrew is a mentor to the young goalies in the Surrey Minor Hockey Association working with Pee Wee and Bantam goalies in his spare time.

“He has been instrumental in helping the Canadians have a 3-0-1 record in the month of December,” said Canadian’s head coach Matt Erhart. “Andrew and fellow goalie Alex Wind have been a key part in the team been unbeaten in the months of November and December.”

As well as being named Player of the Month, Hunt will receive a gift from Mission-Itech on his selection.

Andrew Hunt was chosen from a high calibre list of nominees for this prestigious award. The runners up in no particular order are as follows:
    · North Island Silvertips – Teagan Waugh
    · Vancouver North West Giants – Khaleed Devji
    · Fraser Valley Bruins – Justin Kirsch
    · Valley West Hawks – Laurent Brossoit
    · Kootenay Ice – no nomination
    · Vancouver North East Chiefs – Silvan Harper
    · Okanagan Rockets – Connor Barrie
    · Cariboo Cougars – Josh Garneau
    · South Island Thunderbirds – Sam Rice
    · Thompson Blazers – Cam Bougealt

The BC Hockey Major Midget League was established in 2004 to provide elite level 15, 16 and 17 year olds an opportunity to play within their own age group. Playing at this high level and be developed for the next level of hockey. These teams have an opportunity each year to compete for the National Midget Championship.
    A Broncos fan I was born, a Broncos fan I will die! GO BRONCOS GO!

The first concern Dean should have is whether or not this team can make the playoffs. 8-10 place is only 7 points away from us and that lead can disappear very quickly when teams like Regina have Eberle, Teubert & Weal back, Lethbridge has beefed up, PA is playing some good hockey right now. Just to financially break even we have to make the playoffs. I think were short another responsible shut down defenseman from holding our own. Goalies are reliable and we have vets and youth up front that can score.
    Second concern is the overage situation next year. 20yo will be Tassone, Doyle, Claffey, Molle, Guggenberger, Toulmin? Even if Toulmin is traded/released this season to me Molle is still the obvious odd man out next year unless pro deals happen for some of the others. Plus he is far from the shutdown defenseman we need. Any combination of Molle, Toulmin, Dudas and draft picks should get us what we need. Stamler and Dudas cost next to nothing last year and were great.

Default sell, sell, sell

Look at what a team will have to go through just to get out of the eastern conference let alone the west. This team is not at that level. If we aren't getting past the first round, trade the 20 yr old assets and any 19 yr olds who won't fit in the picture for next year.
    I says pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Link Dog
    Look at what a team will have to go through just to get out of the eastern conference let alone the west. This team is not at that level. If we aren't getting past the first round, trade the 20 yr old assets and any 19 yr olds who won't fit in the picture for next year.
    I agree!! I know some would like to see the broncos make there usual 1st or second round exit every year but to me why not build on what we have and the possibilities for a good team next year are looking good not to mention the year after that i think we could make a real run at the cup

I personaly think Yonkman is a great goaltender so we should give him a chance at a memorial cup!Even if that means trading him,he has given everything he can since he arrived in Swift!

As long as we have a competitive team. This city will not support a losing team for long. We will be back to 1600 people a game again and won't make it. Other markets with large populations can do it because they will have larger crowds but we just don't have the market. The Broncos and volunteers fight and claw tooth and nail for a 2200 crowd and we need the extra money that comes from a round or 2 of the playoffs. I would like to see us on top but with 22 teams in the league with bigger populations it's pretty tough to do. As long as we are competitive and winning more then losing and the boys are giving an honest effort I'm happy.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Honestly say i havn't heard any talk of this Hunt kid until now (most likely an undrafted list player then). But my favorite piece of that write up on him was about the time he spends helping out younger goalies in the area.

Rumor has it that Regina is making a strong push to get dudas

Quote Originally Posted by Toswammi
    Rumor has it that Regina is making a strong push to get dudas
    It would give us a chance to let him know how we feel and boo him. Bum.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!