Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Updated Fighter Rankings

Speaking from 20+ years of watching WHL hockey, I've seen the "nobody wants to fight" phenomenon a few other times, so I know the argument is completely valid. The one I can think off the top of my sleepy head is Kerry Toporowski (during his final year). He just didn't find many takers. Then again the current Chief team (as with Kerry's team), there were many more willing and capable individuals who don't hesitate to throw down, so it isn't like Letts is the only person who fulfills the role.

I'm surprised McCue has become such a tough guy. I really don't remember him standing out for those couple years in a Chief uniform. He was likely overshadowed by Stoesz though.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkGaetzFan
    Speaking from 20+ years of watching WHL hockey, I've seen the "nobody wants to fight" phenomenon a few other times, so I know the argument is completely valid. The one I can think off the top of my sleepy head is Kerry Toporowski (during his final year). He just didn't find many takers. Then again the current Chief team (as with Kerry's team), there were many more willing and capable individuals who don't hesitate to throw down, so it isn't like Letts is the only person who fulfills the role.

I'm surprised McCue has become such a tough guy. I really don't remember him standing out for those couple years in a Chief uniform. He was likely overshadowed by Stoesz though.
    McCue's toughness and fighting ability really appeared to increase over the summer. He came back much more confident, and probably a little bigger!! The knock on him when he arrived here in Bdn was that he had a glass jaw, but we never saw that. I think his defining fight where he realized that he was one of the toughest guys was his epic battle with Grantham here in Brandon in late September, a draw, but the fight lasted a good 60 seconds and meandered from one side of the ice to the other!!!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

You have to remember Letts has been playing with the first and second lines most of the year, which he has never done before. I'm sure he was more interested in try to generate some badly needed offense then in instigating something. Now that the Chiefs have all their forwards back Letts may have a few more tangles the last two months.

And its fine if he doesnt. Hes making a good contribution as is; and he can go if he needs to. Nobody disputes hes a handful either way. Like King, its known he's very capable. They are just doing what they think is right for their team. But then some fans get their shorts in a knot when the guy isnt on a list, that the player clearly couldnt care less about.

Quote Originally Posted by aaAlta
    And its fine if he doesnt. Hes making a good contribution as is; and he can go if he needs to. Nobody disputes hes a handful either way. Like King, its known he's very capable. They are just doing what they think is right for their team. But then some fans get their shorts in a knot when the guy isnt on a list, that the player clearly couldnt care less about.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but nobody is getting their "shorts in a knot" over the list. I guess I'm not allowed to comment on the list, because if I do, I have my "shorts in a knot." Believe me, my feelings aren't hurt, nor am I 'offended' by the list. am simply stating my opinion like everyone else. Do I have your permission, aaAtla, to make comments on the list?

I'm not referring to you at all Link. I respect the players you mentioned earlier too. And your comments. And differences of opinion. All I was saying here, my opinion, is you could make cases for guys like Letts and King being listed. They are no doubt tough. But because they dont go regular, Tipman, who at least has the parts to post a list for us to yak about, doesnt put them up. And those players for sure dont care. But then, moreso on Network 54 than here, some seem bothered by those missed. Which I'm fine with, we're just beaking here. Me too. No hard feelings.

Default About Letts

Some clarification on the list: I don't consider putting guys on the list until they have 5 majors. If you're inactive you don't make the list. I guess my only real point I want to make on Letts is that while he's definitely tough he's NEVER been a guy that fights alot and I don't think that will change the remainder of this season. It might be a little unfair of me to single him out in comparison to a guy like Dwight King, who's also very tough but never goes. I give King a little bit of a pass because the guy's a 40 goal scorer and can't be fighting all of the time because he's more valuable on the ice. In the case of Letts I guess it's frustrating because he doesn't bring alot to the table except that he's a tough guy so why not fight more? Funny that you say Toporowski never got takers his last season. Even that guy having trouble finding takers I'd bet he still had 20+ fighting majors. It may have not seemed like much compared to the 50 he had the year before lol.

I dunno, Letts, like Donaghy, are bringing more than just toughness this year, imo. Their points rate at maybe .35ish/game is what I'd call a contributors rate. Just under the point getters, like the top ten or whatever, that might be getting .5 or more per game. As well, their plus minus is where it should be as vets on a winning team, so I'd also say they are within the system. These guys bring a pretty good forecheck, create problems around the opponents net, then chip in the opportunities too.