Thread: Hat Tricks:) 2-18-09

Default Hat Tricks:) 2-18-09

Congrats to Bowman and Johnson - the top two lines are racking up the points right now and I'm liking the 3rd line with McCrae, Letts, and Donaghy ... give Seattle credit, the showed some pride coming out in the 3rd period ... if they had played that way all game I can see how the can beat a team like Vancouver ... Bowman's goals were sick!

In all of my years watching hockey live; that's the first time I've ever seen two hat tricks for the same team in the same game.

It's also the first time I've seen two penalty shots awarded to the same team - let alone the same player - let alone having him score them both.

What a strange evening.
    Spokane Chiefs - 2008 Memorial Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!! punk rock

It's definitely been nice to see the offense back on track after that no so impressive stretch of games two weekends ago. The big test for the Chiefs' offense will be if they can get 3 or more on Tri-City in Kennewick. They've only scored 5 regulation goals down there in 4 games all season.

The moves Bowman put on Pickard for his first 2 goals were outstanding. The first on the penalty shot was the patented Peter Forsberg move where he dekes to the near post and puts the puck in on the far post with one hand on the stick. The second move he got Pickard so out of position that he had probably 3/4 of the net wide open with no problem burying the puck. I'm hoping that both of those end up on youtube. You don't see dekes like those in juniors very often. By the time Bowman had his second penalty shot, Pickard was probably expecting another deke which allowed Bowman to just fire a nice snapshot past him. I don't recall ever seeing a game where the same team had 2 penalty shots, let alone taken by the same player, I'd be interested to see how many times that's occurred.

The rest of the offense had a good night too, Roman put home another goal (how incredible has he been since returning?) and Johnson had a few nice shots to put up his own hat trick too with Wahl getting several assists on those goals.

Seattle definitely didn't mail it in despite being down 7-1 to start the third. They are going to be tough to beat again at ShoWare. The Chiefs need to make sure to show up for this one and not look ahead to the Americans game on Saturday night. Spokane could be tied for first in the US division after this weekend's games; I think there's few who thought we would have been saying that a month ago.

As far as Roman ... w/o him there is no way Bowman would be scoring this many points after the world juniors ... Roman is just so damn patient with the puck.

Default Cheif hat tricks

Watching the game on my computer, I thought that Johnson kid was the best player on the ice that night. The Spokane radio guys agreed. In fact, the Spokane radio guys are really good level headed announcers. I think they're a bit used to watching the Spokane team be a tad overconfident. They're way talented on the offense and need to improve the defense and the intensity when they get the lead, both ends. I've seen this a few times vs the T-birds this season.
    Taking nothing away from Bowmen's night, penalty shot goals are easier than the hard work efforts Johnson cast upon us last night. Johnson also showed up again and again in the defensive zone while others slept.

The reason why we don't ever see 2 penalty shots in a game I think is the refs are often afraid to give them. The strange thing last night was Bowmen's second one (after benefits of computer video replay) didn't merit a penalty shot, he was already past good angle and wasn't likely to score - the ref was the opposite of norm and in an overly giving mood there.

Looking from an independent set of eyeglasses, The chiefs need to work on their own end, play better defense if they hope to get past Tri-cities or Vancouver, or the rest of the upper class of the west. Playoff series are often about breakdowns and mistakes, and they have a lot of cleanup to do. Can't rely on the goalie being as hot as he was last night... or can they ? He is a good one vc124

Thing is, Tokarski is actually better than that on most nights. I thought his third period was a little bit of a letdown like the rest of the team.

I guess what I'm saying is that we can rely on goaltending like that every night. And we have.

Just like in the Memorial Cup last year when after game 1 we had given up 4 goals to Belleville and I can be quoted as saying "it won't happen again" - I don't think the Chiefs will see another letdown like that for the rest of the year. I think they learned a valuable lesson from that third period - I'm just glad we had a 6 goal cushion to work with.
    Spokane Chiefs - 2008 Memorial Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!! punk rock

Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson
    Thing is, Tokarski is actually better than that on most nights. I thought his third period was a little bit of a letdown like the rest of the team.

Agree ... he had some nice glove saves ... but there were 2 shots that hit the post that could have been in the back of the net IIRC ... the best thing about Tik ... he appears to have a short term memory ... I'm hopeful for another win and another hat-trick tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy206
    Watching the game on my computer, I thought that Johnson kid was the best player on the ice that night. The Spokane radio guys agreed. In fact, the Spokane radio guys are really good level headed announcers. I think they're a bit used to watching the Spokane team be a tad overconfident. They're way talented on the offense and need to improve the defense and the intensity when they get the lead, both ends. I've seen this a few times vs the T-birds this season.
    Tyler is a great player and as a local Spokanite (right?) even better for the fans and teams. He's pretty classy, but drives and grinds at all ends of the ice. Fun kid to watch.

How old is he btw?
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Tyler Johnson is 18 (turns 19 this summer) ... he is a July 1990

thx P76
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/