Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: March 6 2009 Giants 0 Hitmen (Zebras) 4

Quote Originally Posted by rednex50
    Its time that you guys got your share of it as well...even though you won't like admitting that many games the G's get the calls in their favour.
    Don't even go there. We get more then our fair share of bad reffing. Papp, Herman, Kirk, Zalaski and Klein. I'm sure I forgot some too...

Quote Originally Posted by dondo
    As for the game we saw, the boys should have stepped it up and kept the puck out of their net. They needed to get inside on the Hitmen, and get second shots from good positions on the ice. Our PK was pretty soft on the man and did not challenge the point as much as I like -- and Sexsmith was not at his best, not his worst, but not his best either. The D was broken down well by good cycling by the Hitmen.
    I guess one good thing to take away from the game is that the Giants now know what it's going to take to compete with the top teams. With 4 days off this week, and then another 5 days next week, it should be plenty of time for Hay to work his magic and get this team ready for a playoff run.

Three Starts of the Game

1.Zelaski
    2.Klein
    3.Either Linesman

Enough Said

Although I agree to a point guys. The Hitmen still soundly beat us in the game we played.

We definitely must give credit to their team as they are an excellent team and in the end we couldn't keep the puck out of the net.

My hope is that there are no playoff games which have their energy and momentum crushed by shoddy zebras.

I cannot blame the loss of the game on the refs or even the incompetent linesmen, but I can and do blame them for being petty, mindless and obtrusive in the game. By allowing their egos to get in the way and by calling a game in their heads and not the one on the ice.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dondo
    Although I agree to a point guys. The Hitmen still soundly beat us in the game we played.

We definitely must give credit to their team as they are an excellent team and in the end we couldn't keep the puck out of the net.

My hope is that there are no playoff games which have their energy and momentum crushed by shoddy zebras.

I cannot blame the loss of the game on the refs or even the incompetent linesmen, but I can and do blame them for being petty, mindless and obtrusive in the game. By allowing their egos to get in the way and by calling a game in their heads and not the one on the ice.
    I don't know. I think we could blame the officials for some of our errant passes, incomplete plays and at times what looked like playing to a loss. No, the Giants lost their game and the officials just made it a rotten, frustrating terribly called loss. Just like Sunday nights, rotten, terribly called win. At times I thought even Kirk coulda done a fairer game.

Quote Originally Posted by westey
    Three Starts of the Game

1.Zelaski
    2.Klein
    3.Either Linesman

Enough Said
    Actually the 3 stars were:

1. Brett Sonne
    2. Martin Jones
    3. Michael Stone

I think you suffer from whiner-itis

^ I would have given it to Postma over Stone in that game and Jones never had to be really great for the SO

.. besides the comment was a deliberate exaggeration (I'm sure the poster knows who the stars named were) and if the Hitmen fans didn't recognize that they got away with a lot in the game without being called on it then I think those fans might be in a bit of denial.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

I didn't see this game but I have noticed a few things about the refs this year more than others. In days gone by (Have been watching the DUB for 20+ years now) when a ref came to town you knew him as a guy who would call alot of penalties or call nothing....and they were fairly consistant with it. I'm not seeing that consistancy this year. I also think the refs are NOT calling the new interference rules the way they are in the NHL. Take a look at the Chiefs this year...top three in power play percentage but 12th in power play goals. I can't tell you how many times Bowman, Wahl and especially Johnson are interfered with that are not called.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jeff
    I didn't see this game but I have noticed a few things about the refs this year more than others. In days gone by (Have been watching the DUB for 20+ years now) when a ref came to town you knew him as a guy who would call alot of penalties or call nothing....and they were fairly consistant with it. I'm not seeing that consistancy this year. I also think the refs are NOT calling the new interference rules the way they are in the NHL. Take a look at the Chiefs this year...top three in power play percentage but 12th in power play goals. I can't tell you how many times Bowman, Wahl and especially Johnson are interfered with that are not called.
    Ya, its always interesting to watch the Memorial Cup and see how teams react to refs from other leagues. The Giants had a tough time in 2006 when in Moncton the OHL and QMJHL refs were calling it by the new NHL standards, but the dub hadn't adopted that yet.